FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Gatlinburg

Hey everyone, I am thinking about heading to Gatlingurg and I know its been a colder than usual for this time of year. Would like to bank or wade fish for trout and smallmouth with UL spinning. Any info on reliable locations would be appreciated as we are new to Tn and will be our first trip out east. Do you all usually fish in town or the GSM park? Do you need a truck to get offroad or is there easy parking? Please PM if desired. thanks again.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Up here right now at FFA state convention. It is very very cold. Had some snow but it has all melted.

Not sure of fishing up here. Best I can do is the weather report. Good luck and have fun.

Breathe easy
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM

The water is going to be COLD from snow melt this time of year... which usually means fishing for trout and definitely smallies will be slow. Trout do like cold water but water in the mid-low 40's or below puts them off and sluggish.

There is a delayed harvest that runs thru either March 1 or April not sure. That means everything is catch/release for trout.

If you trout fish in the city limits of Gatlinburg there is a permit required and no fishing allowed on Thursdays (stocking day).

If you fish in the park boundry all you need is valid TN license. It's Federal and gets no money to support the fishery from state license sales so it doesn't require a stamp. Also it is single hook artificial not bait within the boundry.

That is all for trout... Smallies are there in the lower reaches closer to Douglas lake and the tailwater (French Broad) but it's not quite time yet I believe for them. Getting close though.

Last edited by Travis C.; 03-27-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Watch this video of T M guys fishing for trout in Gatlingburg on a very very cold day. It starts at around 1:50.

http://www.troutmagnet.com/video-detail.php?id=5
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Travis C-

Is it a single hook or single barbless hook in the park?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Travis C-

Is it a single hook or single barbless hook in the park?
Single.

I don't know of many if any streams in TN that require a barbless hook. That is big out west though.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM

thanks to everyone for the great info..maybe will get lucky and it will warm up for a week or so before we get there..regards...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM

commdd- there are fishing pulloffs along the road between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg both coming and going. The fishing in gatlinburg isn't world class by no means but there's plenty of fish and you can catch them. Parking is an issue depending on when you're there. Be sure you know where around the city limits though you are fishing. A couple areas are for children and seniors only.

If you wanted to get away a little drive up into the park or fish along either side heading into Gatlinburg. Hwy 73/321 runs from Maryville through Townsend. The Little river runs along side for long long way but after Wears Valley rd it will change to old 73 and continue on over to the road that runs out of Gatlinburg into the Park. Closer to Maryville will hold smallies/red eye then as go towards Gatlinburg it will transition all the way to browns,rainbow,native brooks in the upper reaches especially at Elkmont.

OR..

There is a similiar road that runs from Sevierville to Gatlinburg on the other side. Pitman Center rd (hwy 416) runs along side that prong of the Little Pigeon river. Closer to Sevierville will be smallies/redeye and about halfway to hwy 73/321 it will have trout then trout the rest of the way upstream.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Travis C....thanks for the info. I usually get to the area once or twice a year. Just to clarify...the creek between PF and Gatlinburg has trout and not any smallies. If it has smallies I will give it a go the next time I head that way. I seldom get on into the park but I might give that a go but I sure hate to fight the traffic thru the Gat. or PF for that matter. There is a car show we try to hit every year in PF in Sept..
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz1 View Post
Travis C....thanks for the info. I usually get to the area once or twice a year. Just to clarify...the creek between PF and Gatlinburg has trout and not any smallies. If it has smallies I will give it a go the next time I head that way. I seldom get on into the park but I might give that a go but I sure hate to fight the traffic thru the Gat. or PF for that matter. There is a car show we try to hit every year in PF in Sept..
The smallies will show up around the junctions of the prongs (east /west) and be smallie water on into the French. It can be quite amazing smallmouth fishing.

The junction is around the old muscle car museum, bridge and that shopping center.

This fellow (not me or anyone I know just off the internet) is holding a a smallie up with the 448 bridge in the back ground if that gives you an idea. That is up the east prong. Smallies are all around that area on both prongs. I wouldn't start on the stretch you asked about too far upstream of the Apple Barn (if you know where that is) then work downstream.

Last edited by Travis C.; 03-27-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Travis, thats great info! will study my gazzetter and figure that out! thanks again.. regards
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Talked to my uncle up there a little bit ago. He said there is a trout tourney next weekend and a bunch of trout will be stock along the west prong up through Pigeon Forge towards Gatlinburg.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM

hey Trav....I had to do a little research on the Apple Barn. That is a little farther down stream than I was thinking. I believe the flow is in a northerly direction. It the stream wadeable in that area?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz1 View Post
hey Trav....I had to do a little research on the Apple Barn. That is a little farther down stream than I was thinking. I believe the flow is in a northerly direction. It the stream wadeable in that area?
There's wading water defintely but also some holes to go around. The problem in the PF to Sevierville stretch is access to the river. Once you find a place to get in it's fishable.

Sometimes you can catch smallies and scattered trout around the Old Mill in PF but really the Apple Barn (I think there is an Orvis shop there too) is where you'll want to start working downstream.