FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 PM

Default Favorite fish recipe?

Let's share them. I'm not a fan of anything in flour batter because I don't eat grains but I have several ways I cook fish. Here are a few of my favorites:

Salmon - minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and butter in a small pot on medium heat until it starts to simmer. Place the salmon on a baking dish, wrap the tray in tin foil first. This makes it easy to remove the salmon and eliminates the headache of cleaning that dish. Black pepper and salt to preference on the fish, then evenly and very generously distribute the sauce all over it. Chop up some fresh rosemary and sprinkle it over the fish. I like a lot of it. Bake in the oven at 350 and keep checking for it to be done. This is one of my favorite ways I've ever eaten any kind of fish.

Trout - Picatta sauce. Olive oil, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh parsley chopped finely, and capers. Heat all of that up in a pan until it begins to simmer then place the trout in. I cook mine whole rather than fillet them. Make sure you have a lid for the pan. Cover and let cook 15-20 minutes, flipping the trout over a few times each. Eat the meat right off the bone with a fork. Pour the picatta sauce into a bowl and dip every forkful of trout in the sauce. It's delicious.

White bass, LM bass - Similar to the salmon recipe except rather than use lemon juice I place thin slices of lemon across the fillets. I still make the butter, olive oil, and garlic sauce and pour it over the fish. Then the rosemary minced up, then thin slices of lemon to cover the fish. Bake in the oven.

Also good and much quicker for white bass and LM bass - Heat up some olive oil in a pan. Coat the fillets with chipotle chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook it in the pan, flipping it a few times. It's spicy!! It's quick and good.

I'm curious to know some of your favorites for crappie. I've never been a crappie fishermen, I catch them from time to time on accident. I know they're delicious and plan to get into that this spring. Also walleye recipes. I've never caught one nor eaten one but I hear it's the best tasting fish in our waters so I'd love to get after some this year.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Olive oil in pan, heat...cover fillets in blackening seasoning, cook, eat. That is pretty much all i do! Did it with some whites I caught today and cooked them about 5 minutes ago! DELICIOUS!

Occasionally I will pan fry in shore lunch,

Or my favorite for walleye, dip fillets in egg, shake in a mixture of Italian bread crumbs, blackening seasoning, garlic powder, season salt, and a touch of lemon salt, put on a rack over a cookie sheet so the fish doesn't get soggy on the bottom, 23 minutes at 325 and 5 minutes on broil to brown the breading! Good stuff!

My favorite for crappie....pan fry or beer batter! Can't beat it! The little morsels are incredible!

Mike
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Let's share them. I'm not a fan of anything in flour batter because I don't eat grains but I have several ways I cook fish. Here are a few of my favorites:

Salmon - minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and butter in a small pot on medium heat until it starts to simmer. Place the salmon on a baking dish, wrap the tray in tin foil first. This makes it easy to remove the salmon and eliminates the headache of cleaning that dish. Black pepper and salt to preference on the fish, then evenly and very generously distribute the sauce all over it. Chop up some fresh rosemary and sprinkle it over the fish. I like a lot of it. Bake in the oven at 350 and keep checking for it to be done. This is one of my favorite ways I've ever eaten any kind of fish.

Trout - Picatta sauce. Olive oil, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh parsley chopped finely, and capers. Heat all of that up in a pan until it begins to simmer then place the trout in. I cook mine whole rather than fillet them. Make sure you have a lid for the pan. Cover and let cook 15-20 minutes, flipping the trout over a few times each. Eat the meat right off the bone with a fork. Pour the picatta sauce into a bowl and dip every forkful of trout in the sauce. It's delicious.

White bass, LM bass - Similar to the salmon recipe except rather than use lemon juice I place thin slices of lemon across the fillets. I still make the butter, olive oil, and garlic sauce and pour it over the fish. Then the rosemary minced up, then thin slices of lemon to cover the fish. Bake in the oven.

Also good and much quicker for white bass and LM bass - Heat up some olive oil in a pan. Coat the fillets with chipotle chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook it in the pan, flipping it a few times. It's spicy!! It's quick and good.

I'm curious to know some of your favorites for crappie. I've never been a crappie fishermen, I catch them from time to time on accident. I know they're delicious and plan to get into that this spring. Also walleye recipes. I've never caught one nor eaten one but I hear it's the best tasting fish in our waters so I'd love to get after some this year.
Crappie are great eating and while I have tried cooking them several ways the meat is so delicate that anything other than frying them rolled in corn meal....batter of some sort....the meat can fall apart very readily when you turn it if you are grilling...pan searing and so on.

Regards
Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 AM

pour beer in bowl with a tbsp cajun seasonin,place fillets in bowl and let sit while grease gets to 360.take 2 plastic bags from grocery store to double up,2cups yella cornmeal self risin,a little flour.put a couple tbsp cajun seasonin in that.insert fish in bag,shake heavily,fry until brown and sprinkle with a little more cajun seasonin when done.I've used this for many a fish fry.Light and delicious
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM

I have a carp recipe:

1) clean and scale a 2-3 lb carp.

2) marinate for 2 hrs in a mixture of 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, 1/2 cup beer, and 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce

3) while the carp is marinating, dig a 2 ft by 2 ft hole that is 1 ft deep. Fill with wood of choice, I prefer mesquite. Light fire and allow to burn until fish is done marinating

4) after carp has marinated for 2 hrs, lay it on a cedar plank big enough to have 3" of exposed board around carp. Lay carp on board and slowly pour excess marinade over the fish and the board

5) lay board on a metal grill set over the hole and allow to cook until meat comes off the bones easily

6) once the carp is done, throw it away and eat the cedar plank.

Feeds 4

Enjoy,
Chris
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Here's my recipe for "Catfish Courtboullion" (coo-be-yawn). A cajun dish that I actually learned to cook from my grandma..I remember our vacations to Grand Isle Louisiana as a kid..My grandpa would leave the marina,run his trot lines and trawl in his boat on the way there..The first night on the beach was always a big bash with everything my grandpa caught being cooked.Blue crab, shrimp and fish..My grandma would always make a big ole pot of courtboullion as the centerpiece dish cooking it on an open fire right on the beach..

2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch green onion tops, chopped
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup (8 ounces) water
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
3 pounds of catfish steaked w/bone in (the bones help the meat from falling apart,its preferable to use flathead, but blue may be substituted)

Put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a cast iron pot. Put a thin layer of mixture of all the vegetables but the green onions and parsley on the bottom of the pot. Follow with a single, loose layer of fish pieces. Sprinkle some of the mixture of the seasonings and some of the flour on top of the fish. Drizzle some of the tomato sauce and water over the seasonings. Repeat the layering process, adding more flour, seasonings, vegetables, and tomato sauce as needed until there is no more fish left. Boil, covered, over a very low heat for thirty to forty-five minutes. Add the green onions and parsley and cook for another five minutes. Serve over boiled rice.

And.....Another of my favorite fish dishes..
Another awesome cajun dish "Sauce Piquante"...This recipe usually calls for gator meat, course gator meat aint that readily available here in middle TN.. Thats ok though you can sub in catfish or any other kind of meat..I like to use catfish cause thats mostly what I fish for..

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1-3 lbs catfish fillets, cut into chunks( Again flathead is by far the best to use here)
1 cup fish or chicken stock
1 yellow onion
1 stalk celery
6 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil
2 small cans tomato paste
Salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
Chopped parsley for garnish

Make a roux with the flour and oil over medium heat. Add stock (and add water if too thick). Brown onions, bell pepper, garlic, celery in separate pan then add when onions are clear . Add fish and bring to a boil for about 1 minute.Add spices. Stir and turn down heat to a simmer..Simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve over rice
Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 PM

I like grilled steaks. Mahi, Tuna, Striper, Salmon, catfish, and other thick fish. I keep a cast iron grate kept clean to use over hot coals. Cut the fish into 3-4" long steaks, at least an inch or more thick. Coat the filets in a mix of Safflour oil, soy sauce, and red hot sauce. Adjust for personal taste. Then sprinkle with cajun dry spice. Cook on high heat for a 3-4 minutes per side, then move to more indirect heat for 5 or six more minutes or until the filets start to flake. Hit with lemon and serve with veggies.

TXnative, loved the recipe, but the splinters are kinda rough...