FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Mid South Outboards > Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-14-2016, 06:42 PM

Default Mercury Mark 20 Resuscitated 2015

A local outboard repair shop gave me this motor after not being unable to find parts for his customer. The customer then left it at his shop. A couple years later, I came into his shop looking for parts for a Mark 25. The shop owner then gave me this motor for parts. The Mark 20 then sat in my garage for the next eight years. This summer, I decided to bring it back to life. The motor was painted black from top to bottom. The tiller was wrapped with tie wire and duct tape. The gear box was held together with epoxy and hose clamp...uuugly. After tearing into it, found that the ignition system, fuel system and gear box had all been badly modified and/or repaired. The gear box casing and bearings could not be reused. The only saving grace was, the power head had good compression and the factory lead seal was still in place. It took me all summer with a lot of help from Jason Hoffman. The motor fought us every step of the way, but, it lives again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151230_152001.jpg (2.70 MB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20151230_152010.jpg (2.78 MB, 46 views)
Old 02-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Nice !! <'TK><

Gary, Yes Jason mentioned this motor to me ... Really nice job! ... In fact I have a Mark 20 I started about 8 years ago but did not finish .. I also have a 20H with a Toilette Bowl conversion that I need to complete ... But I have a back log of other folks motors to do first.

I understand the obstacles you have to deal with when it comes to ignition, fuel systems, gearbox's etc. and obsolete parts especially dealing with Merc's.. You did a fantastic job! ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-15-2016 at 01:32 PM.