FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 09-07-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Do you remember Saigon in 1975?

ONE FOR HISTORY BUFFS THAT I BET YOU DID NOT KNOW

In 1975, President Ford was left to manage the difficult ending of the Vietnam War. President Ford went to Congress for a relief package to allow American personnel and our allies to evacuate. However, there was ONE US SENATOR who opposed any such support. The result was the embarrassing and hurried evacuation from the roof of the American embassy in Saigon.

This senator revelled in the embarrassment and did everything he could to leverage it politically against Ford. Despite the efforts of this U.S. Senator--President Ford managed to rescue 1,500 South Vietnamese allies prior to the country's fall. Had President Ford not acted quickly, these people would have been targeted and slaughtered for their support for America. When they arrived in America, President Ford asked Congress for a package to assist these refugees to integrate into American society.

That SAME troublesome SENATOR TORPEDOED ANY SUPPORT for these shell shocked, anti-communist, Americans and our helpers, the refugees.

Instead, President Ford had to recruit Christian organizations to offer assistance on a voluntary basis. As he did so, the Senator belittled those efforts. What kind of person would oppose President Ford's tireless work to do the right and humanitarian thing? Who would want to play politics with the well-being of innocent people who stood by America in the tragic Vietnam War?

THAT SENATOR WAS JOE BIDEN
From the book - "When the Center Held." by Donald Rumsfeld in 2018.(biography)

... spread it, far and wide!
Old 09-07-2021, 11:38 AM

I remember the Catholic Church helped place many refugees in jobs and housing. My employer hired many Vietnamese to join our work force. They were all hard workers and very proud to be here. I met a Vietnamese woman in my subdivision who had locked herself out of her house. I managed to unlock her door to let her in. Shortly her several kids came home from school. She sat me down on the floor and proceeded to show me pictures of her husband. He was a Major," I think" for the ARVN forces. I didn't get out. She hadn't heard from him in years and was worried he was killed. I think this was in early to mid 80's. I have wondered if he made it here to join his family. I also met some men that were escapees after the fall of Saigon and went to the Philippines and then to United States. they all were hard workers and studied hard to learn our language.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Enlightened but not surprised

I did not remember that but cannot say I am surprised ! Thanks
Old 09-11-2021, 08:57 AM

Hard to forget. Watch a President resign before impeached and forced from office, then; a few months later, the VP/new President evacuates Saigon because more political posturing. Hard to imagine it could get worse . . . then, 2021.