FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-14-2023, 12:21 PM

Default Tailwaters of Cordell Hull Dam

I have been wanting to fish below Cordell Hull dam for years. It is almost 2 hours away for me according to google maps. What I would like to know before I drag my boat up there is....
Where is a safe place to launch a 20 foot bass boat and leave the truck. I wouldn't want to get it broke into. Altho, I know there isn't a risk free ramp anywhere.
I would like to know how deep the water is below the dam. I wouldn't want to hit a rock pile. I have done that before, not fun.
Any other information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Alan

I have never met TK in person. We have had a couple of shared thought on this forum. I could tell he was very knowledgeable and friendly. I am sure his family and close friends miss him dearly. RIP TK
Old 01-16-2023, 04:27 PM

The easiest ramp is the one by the Hwy 25 bridge. It’s a mile or so below the dam and across from where the Caney meets the Cumberland.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
The easiest ramp is the one by the Hwy 25 bridge. It’s a mile or so below the dam and across from where the Caney meets the Cumberland.
Thanks, I will check it out
Old 01-23-2023, 12:21 AM

Have gone yet ? I live about 12 miles away. There is actually a ramp at the damn or should I say once you turn into the entrance to go to the damn, about half way there is a ramp to the right, but its steep. Then there is a ramp at upper ferry, kind of behind the dollar store . Google maps is your friend here.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Have gone yet ? I live about 12 miles away. There is actually a ramp at the damn or should I say once you turn into the entrance to go to the damn, about half way there is a ramp to the right, but its steep. Then there is a ramp at upper ferry, kind of behind the dollar store . Google maps is your friend here.
I haven't had a chance to get up there yet. This year has had a bad start for us. I hope to get up there within the next several weeks.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:49 AM

Exclamation

Would love to see pictures of those fish once you do.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Would love to see pictures of those fish once you do.
Long story short, I have been having issues with my boat for a couple years. Engine problems then transom problems, then electrical problems in the trailer.........livewell issues and HDS issues and on and on and on. I thought I was all set to go and had a chance to fish for a short while Saturday on Wilson Lake. I thought I had the livewell leak all fixed. Nope, what I didn't know was the pump motor wasn't installed properly and was leaking like crazy. No I didn't install it. A friend was able to get the pump motor installed correctly. YEAH !!!! I then fished alone for the day. The second thing that was wrong....no sonar !!! I have an older HDS gen2 touch. The sonar wasn't even available in the pages menu. I didn't motor too much so sonar wasn't critical. However, it did take a couple hours to find the problem, or should I say solution. I did a soft reset and all fixed !! Then I tried to get the 12 carbon to work with my phone. I finally gave up...lol
Now with the rainy days in the forecast I will be getting some sauger stuff ready. Crossing my fingers, I hope to go within the next 2 weeks.
I don't remember how to post pics on here. Good advice would be helpful.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:36 PM

What water depths can I expect below Cordell Hull Dam to Carthage? I don't know if I should rig up 1/8th oz or 1-1/4 oz jigs. I do tie all my jigs and stinger hooks. TIA
Old 02-01-2023, 09:55 AM

Fishing below the Hick has been slow this winter, mostly smaller fish with a scattered keeper. Look forward to seeing how this goes. I'll probably go to Cordell Hull dam this weekend, or below Cheatham. I tend to bank fish this time of year, but could get coerced into pulling the boat if it is worthwhile. If you go let us know how you do. Reports are pretty scarce. Thanks
Old 02-11-2023, 10:58 PM

I fished Cordell Wens 2-8-23 and it was tough. They were really releasing water, then you had winds out the west.. Looked like water was going upstream.. Water was rough. Caught a hybrid jigging for Sauger. Spoke with a few guys and everyone was having a hard time.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the report. Spotty shorts with a mixed in keeper below The Hick.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:32 PM

Well, I never made it below the dam or river. Last couple weeks I have had some sort of upper respiratory ailment. I'm starting to feel better now. Hope to get a little bass and crappie fishing in.
A friend of mine caught some sauger last week in the Tn River. The females were squirting eggs and the males were in milt. I would say they were spawning.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:09 AM

Exclamation

Any reports lately. I had Omicron crap at the end of February and then upper respiratory stuff after that but want to head up to Cordel dam. Looks like warm weather is coming back late March.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Any reports lately. I had Omicron crap at the end of February and then upper respiratory stuff after that but want to head up to Cordel dam. Looks like warm weather is coming back late March.
I know I haven't been fishing at all. I get one bug and then another. This getting old sucks. I might try Priest or Normandy on Sunday. I'm thinking crappie. I ordered 1000 wax worms this week. Hopefully I'll get them before Sunday. I like to sweeten my jig with them. If I go I will post a report.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 54 View Post
I know I haven't been fishing at all. I get one bug and then another. This getting old sucks. I might try Priest or Normandy on Sunday. I'm thinking crappie. I ordered 1000 wax worms this week. Hopefully I'll get them before Sunday. I like to sweeten my jig with them. If I go I will post a report.

I'm going to Normandy Sunday. Took my little one two weeks ago and it was tough. We caught 6 crappie, 2 keepers and 3 chunky spots. Hopefully with the warm weather they get a little more active