FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Mid South Outboards > Tech Tips
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
ALANRAYG2

Unhappy engine fuel lines.

I have an 1998 Evinrude Vindicator 225. My question is how often should I replace the fuel lines from the tank to the outboard and how often if ever should I replace the fuel lines on the powerhead? I was told the ethanol eats away the inside of the hoses and should be replaced every 4 years or so. The manifold lines are almost impossible to find and the fuel pump to carb lines are $$$. Needless to say the lines are preformed....geez Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmmm .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
I have an 1998 Evinrude Vindicator 225. My question is how often should I replace the fuel lines from the tank to the outboard and how often if ever should I replace the fuel lines on the powerhead? I was told the ethanol eats away the inside of the hoses and should be replaced every 4 years or so. The manifold lines are almost impossible to find and the fuel pump to carb lines are $$$. Needless to say the lines are preformed....geez Thanks in advance.
Alan, I sent you a PM <'TK><
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM

Replace the fuel tank to motor lines once with EPA approved hoses and never worry about that again.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Fuel Hose <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Replace the fuel tank to motor lines once with EPA approved hoses and never worry about that again.

Something you need to take in consideration regardless if it is EPA approved or not. Depending on the frequency of use, remember there is a Check valve in the bulb that prevents the fuel from returning to the tank. So the line is trapped with fuel. An example of this is if anyone who has ever felt of a hard bulb that has set up for a length of time and can't be pumped. This is do to that the bulb has lost it's pliability this is because it has trapped fuel in it and it has deteriorated the bulb and hose and this has nothing to do with ethanol .. One way to prevent this is to disconnect the line from the motor, vent the coupling, and pump the fuel out with the bulb, especially if it is not going to be used for a while. Hope this helps. <'TK><
Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 AM
ALANRAYG2

Thanks for the info guys. I have a bought a new fuel tank line and bulb and some other lines. I guess I'll install them and not worry to much about the ones I can't find for the engine. I'll be replacing the filter as well. TK Thanks for the PM. I appreciate and respect your opinion. Hopefully I'll be fishing from my boat a lot more. For many years I fished with my fishing partner for a couple decades. We almost always fished from his boat. Last July he left this earth for a better place to fish. Now I am playing catch up on a neglected boat. Thanks Again !!!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:37 AM

This should be made a sticky with WARNING. I just got hit with liner deterioration. Filters plugged but didn't get past that I can tell. But now I am rebuilding fuel pump as it isn't pushing much.

If you have any doubt you have old line,,,,, get new hose with blue lettering. I bought OEM Merc because I was there getting rebuild kit. It doesn't have a liner to fail.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:42 AM

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1931.JPG (1.75 MB, 29 views)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
This should be made a sticky with WARNING. I just got hit with liner deterioration. Filters plugged but didn't get past that I can tell. But now I am rebuilding fuel pump as it isn't pushing much.

If you have any doubt you have old line,,,,, get new hose with blue lettering. I bought OEM Merc because I was there getting rebuild kit. It doesn't have a liner to fail.
Thanks, I still haven't replaced any lines. So far everything has been running good. It might be a winter job for me. Hope you get everything cleaned up and running great.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:25 PM

My line that failed was the grey line with pump bulb between motor and tank. My lines inside motor are ok I hope, just had to flush.