FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-23-2022, 09:50 PM
Sunfish Assassin

Default New Boat - Hog Island SW16

Ever since these boats came out 10+ years ago I've dreamed about getting one and I was finally able to make it happen. I ordered it from big franks outdoors in Maryville back in June and finally took delivery of it right after New Years. It was a struggle finding parts as it is with most things right now. What sold me on the boat years ago was watching the company drop the boat from 15-20 foot up on a forklift and just bounce off the ground undamaged, they also shot it with a shotgun �� Its basically a 16 foot yeti cooler with a 200lb motor hanging on the back. Its constructed from hdpe plastic sandwiched between foam. I rigged the boat with a 60/40 tohatsu jet drive outboard, all aluminum trailer, rear deck, poling platform, front deck, grab bar, anchor system, 16' push pole, dual rod tubes, minn kota riptide terrova and a pair of 100ah ionic lithium batteries. I wanted a boat i could just about take anywhere, fish a river one day and the flats the next. I plan to take it to alot of these shallow rocky rivers Tennessee is known for like the Caney, Duck, Elk, Clinch, Obey, Obed, Watauga and many more. So far I've managed to run flat out in 4-5" of water. Running a deep v glass boat most of my fishing life its still really unnerving running this skinny water but I'm getting more comfortable the more situations and rivers I encounter.

Tyler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220215_164527.jpg (2.23 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20211228_125403.jpg (2.73 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20211228_125354.jpg (2.90 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by TnCreekMaster; 03-02-2022 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:31 AM

That’s an awesome rig, bet it was tough waiting on it. Have you been able to go upstream on no gens from that ramp in the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2022, 08:38 AM

Cool rig. Like the aluminum trailer too. You'll love the durability and ease of maintenance.

You need a MUCH bigger tow vehicle!!!
Old 02-25-2022, 09:01 PM

Install a center console and I might just sell my tracker 175 for one
Old 03-02-2022, 04:33 AM
Sunfish Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
That’s an awesome rig, bet it was tough waiting on it. Have you been able to go upstream on no gens from that ramp in the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch the caney at no generators yet, it should easily be able to make it up to the dam with the constant 250cfs running now in the summer, I ran up Smith fork a ways through 4" of water at times 😁
Old 03-02-2022, 04:34 AM
Sunfish Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Install a center console and I might just sell my tracker 175 for one
They sell a side console and center console for the hog's, I was tempted to get the center console and might down the road, the tiller definitely takes some getting use to when all I've ran tiller wise is a 3hp and a trolling motor 😅 a 60/40 is a big difference for sure
Old 03-02-2022, 04:37 AM
Sunfish Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
Cool rig. Like the aluminum trailer too. You'll love the durability and ease of maintenance.

You need a MUCH bigger tow vehicle!!!
I'm working on that 😃 I'm split between getting a turbo diesel chevy Silverado, a twin turbo v6 f150 or holding out for the tri or quad motor cybertruck. My old 05 avalanche has been a great truck just hate the fuel mileage 14mpg average ☹️😔 got it in 2011 when I moved down here and have put 180,000 on it in the those 10 1/2 almost 11 years, she tows the hog and my deep v stratos like there's nothing back there, she's just seen alot of miles and just a matter of time before she needs some engine work done (245,000 miles) I just unfortunately had to put a new transmission in her ☹️

Last edited by TnCreekMaster; 03-02-2022 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:25 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnCreekMaster View Post
I'm working on that 😃 I'm split between getting a turbo diesel chevy Silverado, a twin turbo v6 f150 or holding out for the tri or quad motor cybertruck. My old 05 avalanche has been a great truck just hate the fuel mileage 14mpg average ☹️😔 got it in 2011 when I moved down here and have put 180,000 on it in the those 10 1/2 almost 11 years, she tows the hog and my deep v stratos like there's nothing back there, she's just seen alot of miles and just a matter of time before she needs some engine work done (245,000 miles) I just unfortunately had to put a new transmission in her ☹️
Sounds like the Avalanche has been good to you. It is a beast; wish they stuck with the platform. Took a few years, but they finally got it sealed and solid . . . now, discontinued.

Got a couple buddies with the straight 6 GMC diesel. They have no complaints so far. Both stepped down from the big duramax.

Son-in-law is a certified Ford mechanic at one of the big, local dealerships. He's not thrilled with the twin turbos . . . lots of moving (breaking) parts.

I'm probably going with the Tundra in '24 to replace my Canyon mini-max.

Again . . . nice rig!
Old 03-20-2024, 07:17 PM
Sunfish Assassin

I ran the caney a few time towards the end of summer last year and the hog island did great, I was able to make it all the way up to happy hollow fairly easily each time. Now that I have more free time I'll be going up there more often this year and especially this spring. hopefully I can give yall some good reports in this region of middle tn. I've heard the caney has been fishing fairly well lately, especially whenever we get some stable weather, ive also heard some reports that the duck river is fishing pretty good.