FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-30-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
I don't know the complete history of FL strain in Chickamauga but do have some intel.

As the largemouth fishery on Chick was crashing in the mid '80's, due to increases in flow (although many mistakenly blame TVA spraying milfoil). A study by a PhD theorized that FL strain would survive (not necessary thrive) below a diagonal line from just north of Birmingham and Chattanooga but well south of Knoxville.

From my understand, Anders Myhr (RIP, then Region III chief), presented the idea to a local bass club to sponsor stocking of the FL strain to boost the population. Genetics were not a concern back then. I believe it was 300-500 fingerlings shipped from FL per year for the first several years.

Later on TN was able to overwinter FL brood fish and the stocking rates increased, however managers were not seeing any results. So around 2000 Kevin Hoffman performed some work and published his findings in 2002. Yes the FL stocking genes were moving into the general populations, but were still mostly confined to the original stocking embayments. Since then, with continual stocking and natural wandering, the genes have spread and you see some F1 hybrids being caught.

Now here comes the rub…..
F1 hybrids will eventually spawn with other F1, and you start to loose the hybrid vigor the F1 shows. FL strain have a less tolerant range of spawning temperatures than native and are less fecund (i.e. produce fewer eggs) than native. This can lead to missing years of spawning. Also F2 will not have the same growth rates as the pure and F1. Over time the population average size will decrease. Even if the entire lake was all F1 (with no native), the population numbers would be lessen, as pure FL and F1 hybrids don't support as dense populations as native. The further away you go from natural habitat of the FL strain the more pronounced negatives become.

Very interesting, Thank you
Old 02-01-2019, 01:48 AM
Banned

Default It is a proof of TWRA's discrimination !!

So. TWRA stocked everywhere in Tennessee with Florida Large Mouth Bass in vast amount except Middle TN. We can barely find a 5 lbs bass on J. Percy Priest Lake and Old Hickory Lake nowadays. Places like Chickamauga and Kentucky are already filled with big Large Mouth Bass in large amount got filled more with them every year. Places are so scant in both quantity and quality of bass like Middle TN got ignored !!! Which have more fishing pressures and fishermen ? Middle TN or other places ? TWRA is a joke !! Please put more Bass into J. Percy Priest and Old Hickory Lakes!!! Be fair !!

Last edited by willbefreeway; 02-01-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbefreeway View Post
So. TWRA stocked everywhere in Tennessee with Florida Large Mouth Bass in vast amount except Middle TN. We can barely find a 5 lbs bass on J. Percy Priest Lake and Old Hickory Lake nowadays. Places like Chickamauga and Kentucky are already filled with big Large Mouth Bass in large amount got filled more with them every year. Places are so scant in both quantity and quality of bass like Middle TN got ignored !!! Which have more fishing pressures and fishermen ? Middle TN or other places ? TWRA is a joke !! Please put more Bass into J. Percy Priest and Old Hickory Lakes!!! Be fair !!

JPP is loaded with Bass. Tournaments are producing heavier and heavier sacks every year. There was a time that 15 pounds would guarantee you a check now you may not even place. I don't know your fishing style but offshore if becoming the way to catch bigger and more fish.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:14 AM
Banned

Default JPP is loaded with Shads

I truly believe JPP is loaded with shads, Gars, and Carps. We have too much food that Bass can eat and not enough Bass to eat them. We should have another 500 K to 1 mil more Bass to eat those Shads and better for fishermen. TWRA not doing their job. May have to stock the lake myself. You can go to CA Delta or Clear Lake and have 100 Bass in 6 hours VS maybe 10 Bass in 8 hours on JPP. That is sad.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Slow down buddy. I wouldn't blame the lake or TWRA. Priest constantly produces big bags in tournaments. For the pressure that lake gets, it's actually pretty amazing.
Put some time in and find some good offshore spots. They are not always on the bank. That goes for Old Hickory as well.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 PM

JPP is one of the most prolific lakes in Middle Tennessee. My two largest Bass came from there, 7.5 SM and 9. LM, lost two larger than those in both categories. Numerous 50+ buck bass days and more crappie than I can possibly count.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
JPP is one of the most prolific lakes in Middle Tennessee. My two largest Bass came from there, 7.5 SM and 9. LM, lost two larger than those in both categories. Numerous 50+ buck bass days and more crappie than I can possibly count.

x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Owner and Administrator

Cool I agree with Notorious <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I first starting fishing Percy Priest in the early 70's, a few years after the Dam project was finished in 1968... Like any new reservoir when the impoundment is up in the foliage, grass, etc. Fishing was fantastic! Then as the lake gained popularity fishing pressure increased and at times it seemed, at least for me, That there were no fish to be found...

But do to the efforts of TWRA the fishing got better in reference to size, and species. Now this is not to say that the daily skunk factor is not still there like any other day on any fishery , Weather, time of year, water conditions, temp, etc... Plays an enormous role on whether you will catch old scaly face.

Another aspect of this equation is you have to remember that JPP is surrounded by three Counties, Davidson, Rutherford, and Wilson which gives it plenty of fishing pressure. Even with this said Priest is still very prolific ...

Here are a few pic's of my last outing with my wife with some of the fish we caught. We were primarily trolling for crappie. A week earlier in the same location was a skunk day LOL ! <'TK><
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpp SM 2.JPG (933.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg jpp bass 2.JPG (549.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg jpp crappie 1.JPG (752.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg jpp sm 1.JPG (824.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-03-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Banned

Default I will do TWRA job for them. That is sad.

So, as I said, TWRA not stocking JPP with Bass anymore for years. There is barely any trip I come out and have more than 20 bass in 4 hours. That is sad. I has fished Lake Fork, Callifornia Delta, Clear Lake, Lanier, Hartwell, and other lake in other states and never went home with less than 50 bass in 4 hours. So, as I said, I will make sure we have more bass in JPP. I will start growing Florida Bass on JPP this year. Hopefully in 5 years, we will be able to catch more than 100 bass in a 4 hours trip. I will happen and you are welcomed !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehick176 View Post
Slow down buddy. I wouldn't blame the lake or TWRA. Priest constantly produces big bags in tournaments. For the pressure that lake gets, it's actually pretty amazing.
Put some time in and find some good offshore spots. They are not always on the bank. That goes for Old Hickory as well.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
So, as I said, TWRA not stocking JPP with Bass anymore for years. There is barely any trip I come out and have more than 20 bass in 4 hours. That is sad. I has fished Lake Fork, Callifornia Delta, Clear Lake, Lanier, Hartwell, and other lake in other states and never went home with less than 50 bass in 4 hours. So, as I said, I will make sure we have more bass in JPP. I will start growing Florida Bass on JPP this year. Hopefully in 5 years, we will be able to catch more than 100 bass in a 4 hours trip. I will happen and you are welcomed !!

Let me know how that works out for you.
😙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You might want to read up on Tennessee fishing rules and regulations before you start stocking our public waters. Could save you some coin...
Old 02-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Took 21 pounds to win last Wednesday's tournament on JPP. JPP produces very well for how heavily fished it is.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:39 PM

willbefeeway,

It is illegal to do as you mentioned, maybe you should go back to California...seems that partaking in illegal activities is the norm there and you would be happier. Don't be surprised if TWRA shows up at your doorstep...you have displayed probable cause, hey and you're welcome also.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Read what you just said... You remove 20+ bass from the lake everytime you go. Now imagine if even a fraction of the people do the same thing. How long before the lake is void of any type of fish ? You complainthat TRWA doesn't stock enough fish yet you don't practice remove more than your fair share. How is any lake going to be able to support that kind of pressure ?

To be honest I hear everyone fishes JPP and OH all the time.. I don't know how those lakes can withstand that kind of pressure and its getting worse every year.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
...How long before the lake is void of any type of fish ? ...
At a ultra conservative 50 adult bass per acre, and Priest is over 14,000 acres, with someone taking home 20 per trip. It would take over 35,000 trips within one year.