FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM

Default Could Somebody Explain to me...

so im looking at the latest Bass Pro Shops sale ad, and they are advertising a War Eagle spinner bait for $6.97, regular $7.79. (and maybe thats the going rate today, i dont know)
im wondering what is it about a spinner bait that would justify charging $8 for bait that has been around for over 60 years? are the blades solid gold and silver? tungsten head? special wire? bullet proof skirts?
i know alot of varying baits cost alot of money such as specialty crankbaits and things like that, but i get lost with the "why so much" when it comes to things like spinnerbaits and especially soft plastics.
are they REALLY that special or did Mr. War Eagle just throw out a price and everybody pays it cause they think its got to be good cause it costs so much?
i get the KVD series and other pro labeled baits since they get paid a boat load to push the brand, but some of these other things are just mind blowing to me.
if its a quality thing its easier to swallow, but again, if its composed of wire, a chunk of lead and some sliced silicone strands....thats a tough sale for me.
just wondering....not intended to start any kind of bait/brand wars.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Fishing TN Staff

War Eagle are great spinnerbaits. They are built with quality hardware, better than most other spinnerbaits, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to justify the price of $8. I think Bass Pro is over priced, and I rarely shop there unless it something I need right then and can stop in and pick it up.

Tackle Warehouse sells War Eagle for $6.49 unless you want Trokar Hooks and they are $7.49, and I usually wait for 20% off deals they run before purchasing and they always have free shipping on orders over $50. I have some War Eagles that are 5 years old and still in great shape, where some others get bent up on one or two fish. Of course there are many other great spinnerbaits that cost less, and there are also many custom bait makers you can get quality spinnerbaits as cheap as $2.50 - $3 a bait.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:04 PM

I know they are high....but they catch fish and hold up! It's the only brand spinnerbait I throw. It's probably a confidence thing....but I love'em.

Mike

Mike
Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 PM

ok cool, so it is a quality thing.
I dont own any spinner baits so i would call myself ignorant on the subject matter, which i have no problem doing. LOL.
inquiring minds were just curious on the price point.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:18 PM

I know they are quality spinnerbaits but I am still stuck on Booyah spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Fishing Fool

I'm a strike king guy. If strike King is on the package it's good stuff to me. They do have quality lures but I break a ton of squarebills. The lips are thin on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 PM

I personally despise spinnerbaits. Lol.
Nothing against them as a bait, but i can not cast the frigging things. They should fire out, nice and streamline like a rocket. Not mine, they do some ugly, wobbly, wounded duck head over heels cast that gets zero distance.
Obviously has nothing to do with the baits themselves but more so my casting action. Lol
My equipment at the time could have been a factor as well. I havent tied one on in i would guess at least 8 years. Lol.
Stupid i know. Mental thing! lol
Old 04-16-2016, 02:13 PM

I have found a stiff rod with a soft action tip (insert sambolie's comment here) to be best for throwing spinnerbaits. A straight MH or H no flex will not cast as effectively. Just my opinion.

Caught a couple on a spinnerbait this morning. In the new age of swimbaits the spinnerbait has taken a back seat. It is and will be one of the better search baits or cover baits you can throw.

Learn to fish them and you will catch fish.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:04 PM

Oh yeah without a doubt! im knowledgable of thier application and fish producing reputation across the country, ive just never had much personal use for them. Even up on the great lakes, i would always throw cranks and tubes for the smallies.
I dont do alot of bass fishing down here really. They are always my last resort species and the few select times during the year when i do target them.
I will get me a few of a good brand and start throwing them again since my gear has upgraded to be able to handle them and can throw em for sure.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:21 AM

Is it just me but have you been to the store and looked at some of those "special" hard plastic lures?!?! I've seen some for 30 bucks!! There is nothing that would justify paying that unless someone told me I was 100% to catch the biggest fish everytime I used it. How does the maker of those baits even survived?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonc615 View Post
Is it just me but have you been to the store and looked at some of those "special" hard plastic lures?!?! I've seen some for 30 bucks!! There is nothing that would justify paying that unless someone told me I was 100% to catch the biggest fish everytime I used it. How does the maker of those baits even survived?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You could never be a Muskie fisherman, haha. $20-$40 a bait

Mike