FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Default JPP waterlevel

Does anyone know why they've got jpps water level up so high so early? Is it because weve had a warm winter so far? It seems like it's almost summer pool level down by the dam at least

Sent from my Vivo One Plus using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Dont know for sure, but i would guess its not intentional. Probably due to all the rain. Then with OH kicking out all that water, they have been holding back on dropping priest back to winter pool.
Purely my guess on that but you are right, its too early for them to be bringing it back up to summer pool.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 PM

I fished Cordell Hull Lake (Defeated Creek Marina) and that lake is down as I can see about 30' of lake bed from the bank. The dam has had all of the gates open and the river is very high from Carthage and Rome. Last Sunday I was in Center Hill and even though the signs warned of low waters, you could have fooled me.. water seemed normal height.

I mention this since all this is up stream from Priest

Last edited by Flatline; 01-09-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
I fished Cordell Hull Lake (Defeated Creek Marina) and that lake is down as I can see about 30' of lake bed from the bank. The dam has had all of the gates open and the river is very high from Carthage and Rome. Last Sunday I was in Center Hill and even though the signs warned of low waters, you could have fooled me.. water seemed normal height.

Those signs at Center Hill have been up for years since they drew the lake down about 10 years back. The lake level is now 641. They try to keep it at 630 all year long until the work on the dam is finished. But rain this time of year has brought the lake up. This summer is supposed to see the lake back to normal pool for first time in 10 years. But before that happens they are bringing the lake down to 622 to build new boat ramp to replace the one that was destroyed during repair of dam. The ramp will be on left side of dam as you face it from the lake. It will take several weeks to do the ramp. At 630 Center Hill is very low....can’t imagine what it will look like at 622. When the lake is brought back to normal pool....hopefully they stick to their schedule and actually do it this early summer.....fishing will be off the charts for several years. Fishing has been good there but it is nothing like it was when the lake was at normal elevations. I’m looking forward to it.

Regards
Old 01-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:

I should mention also as I know you just got a new boat. When Center Hill drops below 630 there will be very few ramps you can launch at. I would say once it hits 628 there will be no ramps to launch at. So there is going to be a period once they get below 628 and on down to 622 won’t be any boat launching for quiet a while.

Regards
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Those signs at Center Hill have been up for years since they drew the lake down about 10 years back. The lake level is now 641. They try to keep it at 630 all year long until the work on the dam is finished. But rain this time of year has brought the lake up. This summer is supposed to see the lake back to normal pool for first time in 10 years. But before that happens they are bringing the lake down to 622 to build new boat ramp to replace the one that was destroyed during repair of dam. The ramp will be on left side of dam as you face it from the lake. It will take several weeks to do the ramp. At 630 Center Hill is very low....can’t imagine what it will look like at 622. When the lake is brought back to normal pool....hopefully they stick to their schedule and actually do it this early summer.....fishing will be off the charts for several years. Fishing has been good there but it is nothing like it was when the lake was at normal elevations. I’m looking forward to it.

Regards

That is some great info and thank you very much... I'm looking forward to the new ramp. If I'm not mistaken, that area was where the construction equipment was while repairs were being made. In any case, that ramp will be a whole lot more convenient in any case.

One final question... excuse my ignorance, but you mention the lake being at 641 and dropping down to 628 and further to 622.. What are you talking about ? I know my dept finder was registering a dept of aprox 170' , so whats the 600's ?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
One final question... excuse my ignorance, but you mention the lake being at 641 and dropping down to 628 and further to 622.. What are you talking about ? I know my dept finder was registering a dept of aprox 170' , so whats the 600's ?
Thanks
Elevations are measured in feet above sea level. Check out the "LakeInfo" app from TVA if you haven't already. It has some great info on lake levels.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Great Questions Flatline. <'TK><

First off, There is no question that can be asked (ignorance) when you are trying to educate yourself. We all are excited for you with your new boat and your quest for knowledge to enjoy Tennessee's great fisheries safely. And I want to thank all of the members who joined in on this thread.

Now, I don't know how much you know about our lake and river systems so maybe I can help. Center Hill, J. Percy Priest, Dale Hollow are what you call "Land Locked Lakes"; meaning they are not navigable to major tributaries for commerce or travel. In our neck of the woods this would mean the Mississippi, hence, north to Minnesota, and South to the Gulf of Mexico.

Dale Hollow is fed by the Obey River.

Center Hill is fed by the Caney Creek, which drains Fall Creek Falls; Calfkiller River; Rocky River; Collins River, which flows into Great Falls Lake; Falling Water River.

J. Percy Priest is fed by the Stones River.

Now all of the above reservoirs form the Cumberland River chain. Center Hill and Dale Hollow is the head waters.

The Cumberland is 688-mile-long, and the river drains almost 18,000 square miles from southern Kentucky and north-central Tennessee. The river flows generally west from a source in the Appalachian Mountains to its confluence with the Ohio River near Paducah, Kentucky, and the mouth of the Tennessee River. Major tributaries include the Obey, Caney Fork, Stones, and Red rivers.

From the Dale Hollow side the first lake that is formed on the Cumberland is Cordell Hull, the second Lake is Old Hickory. Where the Caney Fork Empties (from Center Hill ) at Carthage... JPP enters the Cumberland in Nashville. The third Lake is Cheatham and so on until it reaches the Ohio River which shortly empties into the Mississippi.

As Ryanbass16 stated the numbers are elevations above sea level. The Land Locked Lakes being the highest of the elevations and form every lake below it .. Formed by the dams decrease the elevations like a stair step. Note: Old Hickory is used more often as the balancing lake for the Cumberland system. That is why at certain times of the year you see more drift in the river because of the raise and fall of the water level ...

Hope this helps and ask any questions anytime... That is what we are about .. <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-10-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 PM

We have had a record rainfall this year. The level was almost down to winter pool and then we got a ton of rain and it went almost to summer pool. They have been making free electricity for a couple weeks now non stop. That is not the norm. I assume they are doing non stop generation to lower the lake and save the TVA and us some money how it was intended. I watch it this time of year because I don’t crappie fish till it hits bottom and I haven’t crappie fished yet. It is going back down now and I would hope they generate till it gets there.

https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Lake...J-Percy-Priest

Last edited by Heiny57; 01-10-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 PM

Exclamation

Read on a TVA site they were holding back water as to help the Mississippi flow to keep her from flooding.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
First off, There is no question that can be asked (ignorance) when you are trying to educate yourself. We all are excited for you with your new boat and your quest for knowledge to enjoy Tennessee's great fisheries safely. And I want to thank all of the members who joined in on this thread.

Now, I don't know how much you know about our lake and river systems so maybe I can help. Center Hill, J. Percy Priest, Dale Hollow are what you call "Land Locked Lakes"; meaning they are not navigable to major tributaries for commerce or travel. In our neck of the woods this would mean the Mississippi, hence, north to Minnesota, and South to the Gulf of Mexico.

Dale Hollow is fed by the Obey River.

Center Hill is fed by the Caney Creek, which drains Fall Creek Falls; Calfkiller River; Rocky River; Collins River, which flows into Great Falls Lake; Falling Water River.

J. Percy Priest is fed by the Stones River.

Now all of the above reservoirs form the Cumberland River chain. Center Hill and Dale Hollow is the head waters.

The Cumberland is 688-mile-long, and the river drains almost 18,000 square miles from southern Kentucky and north-central Tennessee. The river flows generally west from a source in the Appalachian Mountains to its confluence with the Ohio River near Paducah, Kentucky, and the mouth of the Tennessee River. Major tributaries include the Obey, Caney Fork, Stones, and Red rivers.

From the Dale Hollow side the first lake that is formed on the Cumberland is Cordell Hull, the second Lake is Old Hickory. Where the Caney Fork Empties (from Center Hill ) at Carthage... JPP enters the Cumberland in Nashville. The third Lake is Cheatham and so on until it reaches the Ohio River which shortly empties into the Mississippi.

As Ryanbass16 stated the numbers are elevations above sea level. The Land Locked Lakes being the highest of the elevations and form every lake below it .. Formed by the dams decrease the elevations like a stair step. Note: Old Hickory is used more often as the balancing lake for the Cumberland system. That is why at certain times of the year you see more drift in the river because of the raise and fall of the water level ...

Hope this helps and ask any questions anytime... That is what we are about .. <'TK><

Now this is what I call a geography lesson... I moved here 24 yrs ago, before that was central Fla. I know Lake George Fla fishing ... Waters down there is crystal clear waters. Imagine casting a worm and being able to watch it drop and actually seeing the bass come up and take the bait. I'm clueless about Tenn fishing. To be honest I never paid much attention to the waters around here until I decided to get back into fishing. Now I have a boat, I need to know the waters. Fla don't have dams like Tenn/Ky so its a completely new ball game. So you can say its a crash course on what you guys have known for yrs.

So again thanks on the education.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Now this is what I call a geography lesson... I moved here 24 yrs ago, before that was central Fla. I know Lake George Fla fishing ... Waters down there is crystal clear waters. Imagine casting a worm and being able to watch it drop and actually seeing the bass come up and take the bait. I'm clueless about Tenn fishing. To be honest I never paid much attention to the waters around here until I decided to get back into fishing. Now I have a boat, I need to know the waters. Fla don't have dams like Tenn/Ky so its a completely new ball game. So you can say its a crash course on what you guys have known for yrs.
So again thanks on the education.
I moved here from the Cocoa Beach area in 1998. Grew up and lived my entire life in South Florida, fishing Okeechobee, the St. John’s River, inshore Indian River Lagoon. What I can advise you is to fish your strengths. If you are a shallow water structure focus guy, fish it as there are shallow water fish here regardless of water temp. If you want to fish offshore, get good electronics i.e. side and down imaging units. It took me years to become comfortable fishing offshore casting at open water based on what I had marked on my Humminbird units.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I moved here from the Cocoa Beach area in 1998. Grew up and lived my entire life in South Florida, fishing Okeechobee, the St. John’s River, inshore Indian River Lagoon. What I can advise you is to fish your strengths. If you are a shallow water structure focus guy, fish it as there are shallow water fish here regardless of water temp. If you want to fish offshore, get good electronics i.e. side and down imaging units. It took me years to become comfortable fishing offshore casting at open water based on what I had marked on my Humminbird units.

I'm gonna have to wait before investing in another fish finder or anything more then gas for a while between the cost of the boat and taxes and everything associated.. Won't be long and I'll have as much invested in boat related items as in the boat itself... Kind of like buying a Harley.. LOL

I like bass fishing and plan on doing some, but I also plan on doing some Sauger and some serious catfishing. I've never hung a nice fat blue or channel.

I'm curious do you troll the lake much ?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM

TK. That is a great post. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
First off, There is no question that can be asked (ignorance) when you are trying to educate yourself.
.. <'TK><
If that is true then Merv is not always trying to educate himself.