FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Default Being a guide

Ok, after years if debating, I THINK I'm ready to guide on old Hickory lake for Catfish next May. Have caught over 500 fish this year in rod and reel with lots of friends, clients,and family. I have my go to spots and will be looking at getting a bigger boat by then.. TK, I know you know all about the legal crap. How expensive is it? Should I get licensed or just do this differently? This year I had people give me $100 and off we went bringing in 20-30 fish a day. I knew the covid-19 thing has people struggling so I just said $100 all included. I even fillet the fish😁. Happy people so far..But still got a lil cold feet before doing this full time next year.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 AM

I don’t know any logistics behind being a guide but I wish you luck. It would be a dream of mine to fish everyday as a job. I hope you take the plunge and succeed. I know my dad loves fishing for catfish. If I were more knowledgeable then I would take him. If you decide to do it tgen let us know and I’ll be a client
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I don’t know any logistics behind being a guide but I wish you luck. It would be a dream of mine to fish everyday as a job. I hope you take the plunge and succeed. I know my dad loves fishing for catfish. If I were more knowledgeable then I would take him. If you decide to do it tgen let us know and I’ll be a client
Thank you!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:09 AM

Here's my $.02 worth (remember . . . worth exactly what you paid for it)

You need a 6-pac license to legally take paying customers on a vessel. And, you won't get insurance without it. I think it was $900 last I checked.

Coming in at $100 is NOT going to endear you to other captains locally. Speaking for myself, I'd want to introduce myself to the other local captains, offer to take up the slack if they got overbooked. Then start in earnest.
Basically, work it out. Not proposing anything unethical like price fixing. But when I've chartered along the coast, the best captains worked together so their clients were on fish, and I could get out if there was a scheduling conflict (happens all the time). If you're undercutting everyone as the "new guy" I'm not sure you're going to get the call back on the question of "seen the stripers"?

Lonely coming in with sunburned customers and zero fish while others are laughing and having a good time with full coolers.

OK, don't mean to be a downer; like I said, just my $.02.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:17 AM

I do t think I'll have ANY problem with other guides😂🤣🤣. Not many Catfish guides out there. Yeah in salt water you guys HAVE to stick together. But like I say I have my holes that I fish and do far I've put people on 20-30 fish per trip. Keep or catch and release. I'm aware of taking locals cause all they want us to find and fish your holes so I'm working on vacationing and bank fisherman and family with children..glad it's not as cut throat here as it is where you guided at. But like I say that salt water guides. I only did the $100 because of the economy and testing if I can produce the fudh..Ill go up definitely.Thank for the input!😉

Last edited by Tennoutdrsman; 09-24-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennoutdrsman View Post
I do t think I'll have ANY problem with other guides😂🤣🤣. Not many Catfish guides out there. Yeah in salt water you guys HAVE to stick together. But like I say I have my holes that I fish and do far I've put people on 20-30 fish per trip. Keep or catch and release. I'm aware of taking locals cause all they want us to find and fish your holes so I'm working on vacationing and bank fisherman and family with children..glad it's not as cut throat here as it is where you guided at. But like I say that salt water guides. I only did the $100 because of the economy and testing if I can produce the fudh..Ill go up definitely.Thank for the input!😉

All good Tenn . . . I'm not a guide. I just like to go on guided fishing trips.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 AM

A'ight 😁

Old 09-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Hi GUY !! .. TK

PM sent .... TK