FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 PM

When I launch, before I back up remove straps and motor toter. I then put around 12" slack into the winch strap. Back in, and when the boat moves a little- stop. Then I'll walk behind, step on the front of the trailer, unhook, and push it off jumping on the front of the boat when it begins to move freely. On return I note the water level on the rear fender when it loads the best. After that back trailer to that level, drive it up just short of the stop. Then jump out, winch the last few inches, step onto the ramp and drive it up. At least on my boat most ramps I can do this without boots. If the ramp is pretty shallow, I will use boots to walk to and from front of trailer when it is cold.

Last edited by FishAddict; 01-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:29 PM

I mostly fish alone...tie 25' 3/8" rope to cleat and prep boat prior to ramp, leave winch locked, drop tailgate, back into the water, get out and use tire for step into the bed of the truck, walk out onto the trailer tongue, unhook boat give push and motor to ramp or bank tie up and go park truck.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 AM

I normally leave the winch strap tight and back in til the back of boat raises slightly.
Trailer does have sweet spot to load on good ramps but ramps that drop quickly at end always cause me problems. Bow wants to go under roller. Then have to pull up a little. Then seems to be to shallow.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I like all these suggestions! I have a question though...what's the best way to get the dang thing back on the trailer when your alone??? I'm trying not to look like a complete idiot at the ramp 😂

The biggest mistake I make is backing the trailer in too far. It varies with each ramp but I find I need to leave enough of the bunks dry so the boat goes on straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM

I fish alone generally always. Use a 30’ rope, carabiner clips on both ends. Clip on to bow eye, other end in bed of truck. Back down and float her off, pull up and walk around to the courtesy dock and tie her off. If no courtesy dock, beach it on the ramp or next to the ramp on keel guard.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Speaking of keel guards... Has anyone ever thought about using a piece of rubber like a 2' sq standing mat to set on the ground to pull the boat onto for those times you have to set the bow on the ground to protect the paint ?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Most know I fish by myself 95 percent of the time. I use a product on my bunks called Liquid Roller. It makes them extremely slick. I have Slick Bunk Teflon pads I need to put back on so I don’t have to keep buying the Liquid Roller. I back in and take the lock off the winch while I hold the handle. If I didn’t have a hold on the handle the boat will slide all the way off the trailer. I let the boat slide down just a few feet....lock the winch.....climb in start motor and put it in gear to take pressure off the winch hook. Reach over and undo hook and slide into the water. I will use a dock if one is there on rare occasions. My boat is aluminum and has a keel guard made of 1 inch extruded aluminum. Most of the time I just beach it next to ramp and tie it up. I do a lot of tailrace fishing and no docks below them. Nickajack just installed new cleats to tie to on what is best described as a concrete dock.....they also installed new rub rail on the side of this. One of these has been installed below Pickwick now also....but have not been there in a while. The older I get the less I like launching and retrieving by myself. Many times when launching I’ve been asked by quite a few folks if I need any help....I always decline but it’s pretty nice of folks to offer to help.

Regards
Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I'm just curious as to how you guys that fish by yourself launch your boat. I fish by myself a lot and launch myself all the time. Here's my system: I stage in the parking lot and get the boat ready for launch. Next I back my boat almost all the way down the ramp. I get out and unroll quite a bit of strap on my trailer winch while leaving the strap attached to the boat. Next I back my boat slowly into the water until my boat slides off the trailer and then I pull forward a bit until the strap gets tight and my front trailer rails are just above the water. Then, I get out and step on my trailer and hold the strap and walk the trailer until I can unhook my boat and get in. Last I motor to the dock or bank and park my truck.

There is probably a better way. That's why I am asking what you guys do. I never had anyone teach me how to drive a boat or anything that goes with it. This just seemed to be what I started doing. I've only ever had a couple hiccups. Once I launched at daylight at Cairo boat ramp. I accidentally unhooked the strap and had to strip down and take a swim after my boat that morning. The other was on Xmas a couple weeks ago. I was launching at DH and lost my footing on the trailer and had to jump in the water up to my knees so I wouldn't fall. My feet never got as cold as I thought they would. I just rang my socks out when I parked the truck.
Similar, like just some others mentioned I use about a 25 ft rope tried to the bow and I slide the end loop on my bumper and back the boat down, until it comes off the trailer then I walk the rope and the boat to the dock

I prefer to do this by myself, I have it down where it takes just a couple of minutes to launch or pull it out and I never get wet but for some reason when someone tries to help it takes longer, if someone fishes with me I tell them to go sit in the truck I got this lol
Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Flatline...go ahead and knock a dent or scratch your boat yourself so you have that satisfaction...there is no way you'll prevent that occurrence. Lots of good info here, get this out of the way so you can get busy fishing and having fun again. Congrats on a nice boat you deserve it... you will develop your own style. Keel guard is a good idea although.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM

I generally stop at hardee's and pickup a sausage biscuit. Then I stop at the corner of Old Hickory and I40 and pick up a bum.

After securing my bum to the truck bed I proceed to the launch ramp. I have my bum stand waist deep and hold my boat when I back down.

My bum gets his sausage biscuit and I'm off for another day of fishing.

Now, let's discuss how I retrieve my boat.

Yes. I know . . . I'm a bad man. But admit it . . . You laughed.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
I generally stop at hardee's and pickup a sausage biscuit. Then I stop at the corner of Old Hickory and I40 and pick up a bum.

After securing my bum to the truck bed I proceed to the launch ramp. I have my bum stand waist deep and hold my boat when I back down.

My bum gets his sausage biscuit and I'm off for another day of fishing.

Now, let's discuss how I retrieve my boat.

Yes. I know . . . I'm a bad man. But admit it . . . You laughed.

Sounds like cabin fever is setting in...