FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-13-2020, 09:14 AM
Bank Fisher

Default Striper / Hybrid Casting Setup

I'm looking for a recommendation of a decent (not cheap / not expensive) rod / reel combo for fishing striper or hybrids under local dams. It would be great to have a single setup that worked fine for 1/2oz - 2oz+ baits like flukes or bucktails.

For line I'm thinking about something like 20-30lb braid with adequate leader but could be swayed if someone has experience.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM

My favorite setup for what you're describing is a 7' MH Ugly Stik (~$50) paired with a 4000 or 3500 series Daiwa BG spinning reel (~$99 when on sale). String with 30lb power pro and 6' of ~20lb Flouro leader.

I have several versions of this setup (differing rods and reel sizes) and they work for everything from local species of bass to saltwater reds, snook, etc.

I can't say enough about the Daiwa reel. I've switched to them from the Penn Spinfishers over the years. They are tough, light, and very affordable when compared to the "equivalent" competitors.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:03 PM

I use my musky gear. If you have any of that it is a good choice.

Ugly stick are good but casting the heavy baits with their soft tip can be tough.

But don't get too stiff of a rod or get one big enough to handle the braid and the fish. I broke a graphite rod that way!