FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-24-2019, 06:21 PM
Paincave's Avatar
Paincave Paincave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bell Buckle
Posts: 71
Default

Duck river from below Normandy dam to three forks bridge has a nice population of chain pickerel.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 PM
Buzzy15 Buzzy15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central TN Region
Posts: 77
Default

Chain pickeral may survive but Northern Pike populations start north of cincinnati, OH and they are few and far between. Musky on the other hand are all over the mid Atlantic because they are NATIVE to these rivers.

Chain pickeral I have no Idea about but I have caught 10,000s of thousands of northern pike.

Anything over 25 inches resembling an ESOX is 99.9% a musky south of the ohio river and its basin.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Halli's Avatar
Halli Halli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 798
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
Chain pickeral may survive but Northern Pike populations start north of cincinnati, OH and they are few and far between. Musky on the other hand are all over the mid Atlantic because they are NATIVE to these rivers.



Anything over 25 inches resembling an ESOX is 99.9% a musky south of the ohio river and its basin.
And most Yankee's think Walleye are a Northern fish yet we have the world record on Old Hickory/Cumberland River.

I just need to find those big boys as it is hard for me but I did get two Sauger this weekend a 15" and a 19"er!! Damn good on the Grille with butter,pepper and lemon!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Alphahawk's Avatar
Alphahawk Alphahawk is offline
Master Trout Magnet
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Age: 67
Posts: 5,466
Default

As a kid in the 60’s my family used to fish for “Jacks” all the time in Old Hickory. Since I left Gallatin in 1973 I can’t really speak to the population in there now but used to be a ton of them.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Buzzy15 Buzzy15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central TN Region
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
And most Yankee's think Walleye are a Northern fish yet we have the world record on Old Hickory/Cumberland River.

I just need to find those big boys as it is hard for me but I did get two Sauger this weekend a 15" and a 19"er!! Damn good on the Grille with butter,pepper and lemon!


That is an incredibly foolish statement. The Ohio River basin and Cumberland River basin hold all of the biggest walleye in the world. No yankee will disagree with you there. I know personally people who fly from Minnesota to dale hallow just to walleye fish.

Although the population and table fare is far far far far far better up north because of water quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-27-2019, 08:36 PM
SAMBOLIE SAMBOLIE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashville, Tn
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
That is an incredibly foolish statement. The Ohio River basin and Cumberland River basin hold all of the biggest walleye in the world. No yankee will disagree with you there. I know personally people who fly from Minnesota to dale hallow just to walleye fish.

Although the population and table fare is far far far far far better up north because of water quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southern atmosphere trumps the water quality in Yankee land.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 PM
Buzzy15 Buzzy15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central TN Region
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Southern atmosphere trumps the water quality in Yankee land.


Not in a million years. Weather, fishing, hunting, water, women and hunting camps are better up north.

The warm weather turns you into mush after too many years. When you don’t fear winter, you get lazy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Schleprock's Avatar
Schleprock Schleprock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Crossville
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
It could have just been the temperature and water color. It amazes me sometimes when I put an old ugly brown smallmouth in the livewell and then it has the most beautiful markings when I pull it out
Last year we kept some bass to eat while camping at Lake Cumberland, we had 2 smallmouth, 3 Spots and a Largemouth , when I opened the live well they all had the exact same markings, could tell them apart until they were out of the livewell for a while

Anyone else ever see this?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Last year we kept some bass to eat while camping at Lake Cumberland, we had 2 smallmouth, 3 Spots and a Largemouth , when I opened the live well they all had the exact same markings, could tell them apart until they were out of the livewell for a while

Anyone else ever see this?
I can't think of a time I've noticed this. Usually it just the opposite, if they all look the same it's because of being very deep or muddy water but they usually color up nicely in the livewell
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 892
Default

Here's a prime example. This is the same fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.JPG (1.42 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.JPG (2.00 MB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Schleprock's Avatar
Schleprock Schleprock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Crossville
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I can't think of a time I've noticed this. Usually it just the opposite, if they all look the same it's because of being very deep or muddy water but they usually color up nicely in the livewell


This is what they all looked like when we opened the live well, all 3 species, I wondered if it was stress or maybe aggressive behavior causing it , not sure
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Site best viewed at 1280X1024
© FishingTN.com