FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Gallatin Steam Plant

I've made 2 or 3 trips since I've had my boat and caught a few hybrids but was wondering about keeping the fish up there, every time i have been there has been multiple people fishing for Tilapia but what is the deal with the "pollution" thread that got posted awhile back... Are the fish safe to eat out of there or what? I have some family in town and was thinking about taking them up there to catch a few Tilapia...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180326_231531_199.jpg (884.2 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by tylerreid1234; 04-02-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:55 PM

There is suspicion by some that the fly ash ponds are leaching toxins into the river and surrounding water table. There have been some well tests done on surrounding landowner properties with some indications of elevated levels of certain compounds. As for the Tilapia, they eat good.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmmm .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerreid1234 View Post
I've made 2 or 3 trips since I've had my boat and caught a few hybrids but was wondering about keeping the fish up there, every time i have been there has been multiple people fishing for Tilapia but what is the deal with the "pollution" thread that got posted awhile back... Are the fish safe to eat out of there or what? I have some family in town and was thinking about taking them up there to catch a few Tilapia...
Tyler. I think it is okay to fish at Gallatin Steam Plant ... I looked back and what you are referring to was a fly ash that was leaking an excessive sulfur content in to the lake in 2015. I didn't see any recent data or alarming concerns.

Also I am pretty sure from the photo what you have there is a small striper (don't let the broken lines fool you). Hybrids were never stocked in Old Hickory, unless done so recently. Now that is not to say that they're aren't any in there. I know for a fact that they have locked through Old Hickory Dam from Cheatham Lake. I have caught a few myself over the years.

So you and your family enjoy the Tilapia .... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-02-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Master Trout Magnet

If you are worried about what may be in the water look in the back of the TWRA Fishing Guide. There is a list of warnings from certain bodies of water.....what is the pollutant.....which fish are safe for consummation and which are not.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tw.../fishguide.pdf

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Alphahawk; 04-02-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 PM

Thats a small striper- they have been there off and on the last few weeks by the 100s. I caught 5 of those guys on one sabiki cast last week and was wishing I had the fly rod. Put those striper back and eat the talipia
Old 04-02-2018, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if it was a striper because of the breaks in the stripes... yeah I've caught atleast a couple every time I've been. I didn't plan on eating any striper in there, just wondered about the Tilapia.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:28 PM

Definitely a striper. But don't be afraid to eat them too. The tilapia are good but man those stripers are gooooood eating too. I would never keep one over 10lbs but those 20 inchers sure taste good.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Owner and Administrator

Exclamation Fish Contaminents ... <'TK><

Thanks Randy for the info...

Middle Tennessee Hot spots for fish not to eat ... <'TK><

Beech Creek Wayne From mouth to origin (Mile 16.7) including Tennessee River Embayment Mercury Do not eat the fish. Avoid contact with sediment between Leatherwood Branch and Smith Branch. Buffalo River Humphreys, Perry From mouth upstream to Highway 438 (Mile 31.6) Mercury Precautionary advisory for smallmouth bass.* Duck River Humphreys, Hickman From mouth of Buffalo River (Mile 15.8) upstream to Interstate 40 (Mile 31.8) Mercury Precautionary advisory for largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass.* Woods Reservoir Franklin Entirety (3,908 acres) PCBs Catfish should not be eaten.

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-03-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Sunfish Assassin

The older the fish the longer it's had to accumulate all those toxins so release them bigns to pass them genes on.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep .... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Definitely a striper. But don't be afraid to eat them too. The tilapia are good but man those stripers are gooooood eating too. I would never keep one over 10lbs but those 20 inchers sure taste good.
Make sure you cut the red muscle out ... OOOOUH Bad taste! <'TK><