FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 06-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I would not want to try and load it on top of an SUV at the end of a long day.
The Ride weighs about the same and it's always harder to lift it on top of my Jeep after a long day of paddling! Kayak fishing is a great upper body workout!

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 06-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
The Ride weighs about the same and it's always harder to lift it on top of my Jeep after a long day of paddling! Kayak fishing is a great upper body workout!
I really thought mine weighed more than yours. Then again, I just drop the tail gate and shove it in the excessively large kayak hauling truck.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I really thought mine weighed more than yours.
Let's not get into one of those debates... this is a public forum.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Let's not get into one of those debates... this is a public forum.
Hey now! Mine also seems to turn to the right too.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Fishing TN Staff

There are a lot of great boats out there. Figure out the weight capacity you need, and add more weight. I weigh 220# at just shy of 6'1" and need a boat with a weight capacity of at least 400#. I carry a lot of gear, of course a lot of unneeded gear, but I have it incase I need it. Figure out if you're going to be fishing one type of water exclusively. Some only spend time on moving, skinny waters and they prefer a shorter boat with more maneuverability. Some spend their time chasing fish on larger bodies of water, or tournament fishing where they may need to get to a spot quickly and they prefer longer/faster boats. Consider your transportation options. If you will be car topping you may not want a heavy boat, if you are hauling in the back of a pickup you may not want a 16' boat. A lot of people are trailering now like myself.

Like said earlier by others with a lot of knowledge paddle as many boats as you can, and spend some time in them. Test tracking, speed, maneuverability, use different strokes, see how long it takes you to paddle a mile or two, and see if you get fatigued quickly with a particular boat, see how wet the ride is.

If, and after you purchase try it naked without any rigging for a few trips, and see what you want and where before you start putting a lot of unneeded stuff on your boat.

I have an ATAK, Ride 135, and Commander 120 if you would like to check any out and are in the Nashville area.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 AM

thanks again. i wonder if i could save a few bucks if i waited till this fall to buy?
Old 06-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Fishing TN Staff

You could, but can you wait? September is usually when the next model year start to come out, and the current model year usually doesn't clearance until after the 1st of the year. Used is also an option. There are usually good used less than a year to two years old available, and if you don't like it you can turn around and sell it and get something else, for about the same price you paid.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM

I have a native ultimate 14.5,stability is average but that baby will fly.I like mine because she can be solo or tandem.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealec View Post
looking at a lure 11.5 kayak. i like it, but was wondering if anybody could tell me what they liked/disliked. going to use it for skinny water. thanks
I would recommend buying one of each so you can give one to your brother.