FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Flatrock

Default Bait Casters vs Open face

While I was at the fishing show at the expo, I spoke with a couple sellers that almost had me convinced on buying a baitcaster. They claimed technology has greatly improved since I was a kid (TV's were black & white back then and I was the remote). They talked about how thew spool is magnetically controlled now, yadda yadda yadda... All I remember about bait casters is a wicked birds nest everytime I cast and I'd have to sit there and unspool half the line to clear it up.

I found open face to be relatively simple and straight forward kind of real. Sure it uses 2 hands to cast, but does an extra second matter in the big sceme of things ? Fishing is supposed to be relaxing right ?

Now I'm sure there are guys here that have used both... and being a guy that does like to keep up with the times, I've noticed open faces haven't changed much, but what about bait casters... Have they really improved that much ? Is the techneic more in the wrist action or the thumb resting on the spool as the line comes off the spool at sound breaking speed ?

I apologize if we already had this discussion recently... But I am getting ready to invest in a couple of rod/reels and I'm just wondering which direction I should lean towards. On rod will be a med/heavy for cats and stripes, that will be a open face for sure.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:46 PM

With a baitcaster you have a lot more control over your cast than a spinning reel.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:32 PM

There are certain techniques you just simply can’t do effectively with spinning gear. Go to Bass Pro, get a Pro Qualifier in 6:3-1 ratio, get a 7’ medium to medium heavy rod (I recommend the Carbonlite). Go for it.
https://www.bassmaster.com/blog/baitcasting-made-easy
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM

I bet you will have a much easier time if you try again. I've got a couple high end baitcasters that if you set them up with the proper braking then they will not backlash. You can make a cast and never even touch the spool with your thumb and they will not backlash. Even when the bait hits the water.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:38 PM

Flatrock, yes bait-casters have improved and are easier than ever to use, however spinny-cast have made headway also. The Berkley Lighting Rod 7' Medium Action and Pflueger Spin-cast 2500/3000 would be a good choice to start with for most activities and not break the bank. Academy has regular sales and may save you a few clams.
Additionally, look up Tackle Warehouse and Cabelas Bargain Bin for good gear at a discount.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Get a Bait Caster, get a Medium action 6'10" or 7' Rod. Use 8-10 pound mono to start. Fluorocarbon is a whole other animal for someone just starting out. Tie on something Heavy like a 1/2 oz spinner bait or 1/2 chatter bait, swim bait etc. Watch Youtube on how to set the brakes. Use these heavier lures until you get the "feel". I find that most of the frustrating bird's nests come when you're throwing too light lures.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:55 PM

I agree with the above and also suggest the BP pro qualifier/ carbonlite on sale right now, and the spinning combo mentioned above. Get one of each and cast away.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjferris View Post
With a baitcaster you have a lot more control over your cast than a spinning reel.
I don't believe this to be true. However, with both methods, requires feathering the spool. With baitcaster it is your thumb, with spinning reel it is your palm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
There are certain techniques you just simply can’t do effectively with spinning gear. …….
Explain. Not sure I am following you.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjferris View Post
I agree with this statement as well
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
Explain. Not sure I am following you.
Frog fishing heavy braid, flipping and pitching close cover with jigs and creature baits, and if you get good with a baitcaster; dock skipping. Also deep cranking, chatterbaits, Carolina rigs, and 10”+ worm fishing on ledges. Any power fishing technique is better on a baitcasting rig.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Owner and Administrator

Cool Bait Caster vs. Spinning Gear <'TK><

When I started to get serious about fishing and fishing tackle in the 60's, The way to go, as told by my Novice Peers was Bait Casters. So pinching my money and hiding my treasure from my wife I purchased a ABU Garcia Ambassador Reel, Then Made in Sweden and top of the line and the choice for Bass Pros (Bass Organizations and Tourneys was in it's infants e) And very $$. Then in the 70's the Lews Speed Spool came out... I think the first with Magnets ... It was smaller but for me I loved my Ambassador. I bought a ABU clone made by Dawia ... The biggest piece of Junk I had ever bought .. Good money spent which was hard to come by for me ... I know they have improved over the decades ... But that was the first and last Dawia product I have ever bought.

So like most, Bird nests was about every other cast for a while... like anything else, practice, practice, Practice, kinda like learning to throw a cast net. Back then there were no magnets for anti Backlash ... all of your resistance and braking was accomplished via slip discs and spool/Bearing pressure. I became pretty proficient. overhead, backhand, underhand and flipping when it came to casting... I started some tourney fishing where if you were going to be successful you had to make a cast 4 times per minute.

The proper way to set up Anti Backlash (as per the book) is to hold the rod at waist level and release the button. Adjust the Anti Backlash so when the lure hits the floor the spool should stop. But to be honest after you get the feel of the reel it will be like another extension of your body.

Use all of the tools that the reel provides and use what works for you. I personally use very little Anti Backlash depending on the lure weight... Like stated in previous post My Thumb is the deciding element for me. But if you are just learning use the adjustment procedure stated above. Start off tight and loosen up as you gain skill and confidence.

Now as far as Spinning Gear ... I use to think this tackle was for light weight spinners and micro weight lures ... Spinning gear was my weapon of choice when it came to catching Skippy's ... Until I ran into Calvin Short, He and his brother Doc who was raised in Celina on Dale Hollow(Smallie country). These guys could do anything with an open face. When it came to casting, they could match my bait caster... I started using a Spinning rod on a larger scale (Bass Size) and got comfortable with it. Not as proficient as what I can do with my bait caster ... But anyone who learns to use the Spinning Gear can do anything a bait caster can do.

Now for me the down side of Spinning Gear, FOR ME, BIG FISH when it comes to big fish. I.E. Stripers, Catfish, etc .... I want a winch! ... I caught a 120 LB Tarpon on a guided trip a few years back, It was released which was my wishes but thought it was going to die do to the spinning gear, it took to long to land it, but it made it! ... (With my stripers I used broom handles for rods and Winches for reels and you still had your hands full of fun.) Now the Tarpon guides used Spinning gear for the reason the guide had to get in front of the pod and cast live bait to the lead fish... Well it was not a pleasurable experience... There is a lot of difference when wrapping a line around a drum from the front than trying to wrap a spool from the side, THERE IS MORE TORQUE WHEN YOU ARE FIGHTING A HEAVY LOAD...

Bottom line .... Use what your comfortable with... And for some it will be a challenge. I have had clients that had problems coordinating the release of the button on a Zebco 404 .... But what ever you do don't give up. The reward will be a fish at the end of your line that you have always dreamed about ... even if it is only 12 inches long ... It pumps you up for the next and bigger one ... <'TK><
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1788.JPG (1.40 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-14-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:21 AM

Nice read TK and matches my thoughts mostly.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Default reels

Lot of good info coming out.I mostly use spinning reels for lighter baits.Baitcasting for everything else.I personally am a shimano guy.If you can find one of the old green curados for $50 dollars or so would be a great beginner reel.They are built like a tank and last forever.I up graded last year to some older chronarchs and they are sweet.Pm me a number and I would be glad to meet you at the lake and try give you a few pointers.not a pro but made a million cast.lol.
TK those Short boys sure know how to fish.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Owner and Administrator

Exclamation Update ! .... <'tk><

Member Flatrock (username) is now changed to Flatline ... (had an operator issue ... ME!) ..... <'TK><
Old 02-14-2018, 06:04 PM

Not trying to be argumentative, just adding discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Frog fishing heavy braid,
No problem with larger spinning gear (say saltwater size), it all depends on inches per turn (IPT) and gear ratio. Even burning spinnerbaits, as many spinners have 40+ IPT, which is rare in a levelwind.

Quote:
flipping and pitching close cover with jigs and creature baits,
It can still be done just as accurately with spinning gear, although most will probably find bc more comfortable. Left holds line below the first eye (just like some do with bc), while hold the spinning rod in front of reel with first two fingers and thumb. The ring and pinkie are used to feather the line against the spool on splash down. You don't even have to switch hands like some do with bc gear.

Quote:
and if you get good with a baitcaster; dock skipping.
I believe most people prefer spinning for dock skipping as it is whole lot easier. Although it can be done with both reel types.

Quote:
Also deep cranking, chatterbaits, Carolina rigs, and 10”+ worm fishing on ledges. Any power fishing technique is better on a baitcasting rig.
Again it all depends on IPT and gear ratio. Look at brackish water gear.

TK, spinning gear is used for Tarpon because of line capacity. Spinning reels (for tarpon) hold almost triple the line that a similar weight baitcaster holds. Also up until recently, baitcasters were much more prone to rusting than spinning.

USE what you want to use, both can be appropriate.