FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Bank Fisher

Default JPP Jerkbait Recommendation

I fished with buddy on JPP this weekend and he used a bright orange/black jerkbait. Needless to say - he killed it at points where I wasn't getting anything.

His lure was about 5"-6" single body. I was reluctant to ask "Hey - what is that?" but I'm pretty sure it was a Rapala variant. I went shopping online but there were way too many variations to just pull the trigger.

Can anyone recommend a good all-around Jerkbait to add to my collection? I'd prefer to get a single color for now that works often rather than trying to cover multiple colors and figure out which works when and where.

I spend a lot of my time (as I'm sure many of us do) casting into shore or fishing FROM shore if that helps with suggestions.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Always Learning

Strike King KVD Sexy Shad Jerkbait in 4.5". 5-8 ft dive depth. They have many colors for different clarity use. Swap out the front treble hook with a red one and get after it. Right now, they're not wanting it too erratic. 5-10 second pause will do the trick. Kind of pricey so make sure it's a fish rather than the bottom when you set it! Also a great one to have on when the hybrids get in the jumps. I always have one tied on in the boat. I use a 7.2' medium spinning rod strung with 8# flouro.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Bank Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by culprit7.5 View Post
Strike King KVD Sexy Shad Jerkbait in 4.5". 5-8 ft dive depth. They have many colors for different clarity use. Swap out the front treble hook with a red one and get after it. Right now, they're not wanting it too erratic. 5-10 second pause will do the trick. Kind of pricey so make sure it's a fish rather than the bottom when you set it! Also a great one to have on when the hybrids get in the jumps. I always have one tied on in the boat. I use a 7.2' medium spinning rod strung with 8# flouro.
Awesome recommendation. Do you have a specific color that's proved successful in fairly clear water? Thanks for the details.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Always Learning

Clearer water usually calls for lighter colors but I tend to stray away from overly flashy colors or mirror like flash. Any of the "shad" colors seem sufficient. There are some translucent ones for extra clear water if you want to try them. You can browse the colors on most tackle sites and get what most looks like what you see in our area waters.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Large Rapula Husky Jerk Deep, Gold/Black with orange belly, Suspend strip to make it neutral. Crank a few off the bank in deeper water off structure and let it sit as long as you can stand it, then subtle jerk, jerk, jerk. My personal best came April 11th on the exact same; 9lb LM and so many 3-5lb SM I cant recall.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Large Rapula Husky Jerk Deep, Gold/Black with orange belly, Suspend strip to make it neutral. Crank a few off the bank in deeper water off structure and let it sit as long as you can stand it, then subtle jerk, jerk, jerk. My personal best came April 11th on the exact same; 9lb LM and so many 3-5lb SM I cant recall.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk