FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Caught a few.

Got up Friday morning and it was 18 degrees. I hung around the house and at about 10:00.a.m. I told myself I need to get out.....thought I would give Nickajack a try...I’ve been cooped up too long. I wasn’t planing on going today but at the last minute hit the hi-way. My hopes were that the white bass would be stacked in there...they were nowhere to be found. I started a slow drift along the lock wall for bluegill. I was using a Major Craft 6’ 5” Truzer Ajing UL “Hard” model rod strung up with 2# test SOS line with a section of 2# test Phantom fluorocarbon leader. I was using a drop shot configuration with a # 6 cricket hook and a Bison colored Trout Magnet dipped in anise oil. For the 3 hours I fished the bite was steady....catching around 3 dozen good chunky Gills. As Jeff Smith has repeatedly said “Each body of water is different”. This is the first winter I have fished the tail race at Nickajack. If the bluegill stack up there in great numbers I have yet to discover that spot. I know right where to go at Pickwick to find them stacked. I also know Richard Simms has them located below Chickamauga Dam and Merv has them located below Old Hickory Dam. I will just have to keep looking. All in all it was a fun 3 hours...though I was cold. A lot of my drifting was done on a shaded wall. I did manage to find the buffalo stacked up and after I got one of those in on 2# test I left that area.....didn’t want to be fooling with those things today. A lot of sea gulls were in the area and some of them were feeding but 100’s of them were on the bank in the bay. The water temp was 39 degrees in the shade and 41 in the sunshine. One of the pics is of me heading back up Monteagle to get home. If you look at the shoulder of the road it looks like ice and or snow.....it is neither...it is salt! First time I have ever seen that much salt on the roads here in TN.....of course I don’t want to be going up or down Monteagle with ice on the roads either....LOL. Life is good!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Used alot of anise baits and scents ice fishing.....perch love it!
Its about time TN got on board the Salt Train with the rest of the country. I would rather see my tax dollars sitting on the shoulder after its use than brine being washed away before it even takes effect. Lol
Old 01-21-2018, 08:50 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Used alot of anise baits and scents ice fishing.....perch love it!

Its about time TN got on board the Salt Train with the rest of the country. I would rather see my tax dollars sitting on the shoulder after its use than brine being washed away before it even takes effect. Lol

TN......years ago was on the salt train. Brine started being used sometime after 1970....best I remember. In the 60’s it was all salt.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Nashville streets look like the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM

You are right Sambolie. Every street around here is dusty likely running a red dirt road in August. Speaking of which, I need to turn on a little Brooks and Dunn this morning to get me through this Monday