FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 03-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Fishing Fool

Default Finesse fishing

This is something that doesn’t get talked about a whole lot on here. I have a question about line size. I throw all my shakey heads, neko rigs and wacky rigs on medium rods with fast tips. I also use 30lb braid to a 20lb flouro leader. My question is this, is a lighter leader needed for more sensitivity? Should I throw it with 10-20lb braid and a 8-12lb flouro leader for more sensitivity? I’ve noticed this year that I’m not feeling bites. When I pick up the worm the fish is there and I’ve been missing a ton of fish. Mainly with the neko rig. My set up for that is a vmc neko hook with a weed guard and usually a 3/32 nail weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 AM

I throw mine on 10-20 lb braid and 8 lb floro leader. With the smaller presentation you get better action with the lighter line. I think heavier line over powers the finesse lure. Look what alpha does with 2 lb test. Granted a different technique and species but same concept. Can't argue with his results.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:16 AM

I use 10lb braid to a 6-8lb flouro leader. I think the lighter line allows the bait to have better movement. The lighter line also helps get the bait down to the bottom quicker. I also must note that I'm not much of a finesse fisherman, but I do use a drop shot and neko rig. I noticed you said "this year". This time of year lends itself to a lot of very subtle bites anyways. I catch lots of fish when its cold that I never even felt a bite. The bait just gets heavy.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:28 AM

I fully agree with the lighter line on the finese approach....however.....something that i have done ice fishing and even in small gin clear lakes in crossville is i will bump up my line for finesse....using flourocarbon....but change my knot to something like a loop knot. The thicker line creates more drag giving a slower fall, and the loop knot still allows full, free range natural motion of your bait. Worked for me in the past on finesse fishing.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM

finesse and 20lb line don't belong in the same sentence Try a 20lb braid main line with a 8-12lb leader if you want to stay on the heavy side of finesse.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Fishing Fool

Let me clarify why I use heavier line. 1) I’m always in heavy cover and don’t care to break and retie every time I touch a branch. 2) Old hick ain’t that clear on its clearest days to matter. Even when it is “super clear” Visibility might be 3’. 3) I want the bait to fall slower. I feel I get more bites than normal with that slower fall. 4) I’m not rich and can’t afford to buy a lot of rods and reels and then more money on another size of expensive line.

With that being said, my original question, am I missing fish because lighter line is more sensitive or am I over analyzing and over thinking the whole process?

I may have to take advantage of the Bass Pro Shops 6months to pay!! Lol

Old 03-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyyak View Post
I throw mine on 10-20 lb braid and 8 lb floro leader. With the smaller presentation you get better action with the lighter line. I think heavier line over powers the finesse lure. Look what alpha does with 2 lb test. Granted a different technique and species but same concept. Can't argue with his results.

You can’t compare alpha’s style of fishing to mine. We are two different animals. He’s a beast and I’m a mouse!!!! Lol

Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
You can’t compare alpha’s style of fishing to mine. We are two different animals. He’s a beast and I’m a mouse!!!! Lol

Ive fished with you homie....in no sense of the word, can either of us be associated with a little mouse. Unless we wish to be compared to how cute and adorable we both are.....then yes.....i agree! LMAO.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
This is something that doesn’t get talked about a whole lot on here. I have a question about line size. I throw all my shakey heads, neko rigs and wacky rigs on medium rods with fast tips. I also use 30lb braid to a 20lb flouro leader. My question is this, is a lighter leader needed for more sensitivity? Should I throw it with 10-20lb braid and a 8-12lb flouro leader for more sensitivity? I’ve noticed this year that I’m not feeling bites. When I pick up the worm the fish is there and I’ve been missing a ton of fish. Mainly with the neko rig. My set up for that is a vmc neko hook with a weed guard and usually a 3/32 nail weight.

I haven’t been a serious largemouth fisherman since around 2004. But I have to say your line size is way too big for the setup you are wanting to fish....in my opinion. I would step down to the 10# braid 8# FC. The lighter the line....the rod.....the more sensitive it will all be. The stiffer.....and lighter the rod...the more sensitive it is. The lines are the same way. To me trying to feel a 3/32 ounce weight with that size line would be difficult.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:

Well none of that is true......we just fish different.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 10:46 PM

If you don't want to go with smaller line then just go with a flourocarbon leader bc it's more sensitive or just use a baitcaster with a lighter action rod.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:47 PM

Well nevermind. I thought I read you were using mono leader. Also, my advice is for deeper water. I never fish finesse when I'm shallow.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:33 AM

If understand this correctly, you want more sensitivity. Well, I use the same heavy line you are using. 20lb Braid to 17lb fluoro. I would venture to assume the problem you're experiencing is in the rod. On all my finesse setups I use the St. Croix MJC68MHF Mojo Bass Rods. Super Sensitive!! Any time I go down in fluoro size, I end up breaking it on the hook set. My 2 cents...
Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Ive fished with you homie....in no sense of the word, can either of us be associated with a little mouse. Unless we wish to be compared to how cute and adorable we both are.....then yes.....i agree! LMAO.

I just don’t even know how to reply to this. I guess thanks....on the ...?????compliment???? Weirdo!!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Fishing Fool

I understand 20lb and 30lb does not scream finesse. But it has worked in the past. I am gonna down size to 8lb leader and 15lb braid on one rod and see if it makes a difference to me.