FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 AM
Flatrock

Default Hello

I'd like to say thanks to the mod for the approval to this board.

I moved to the Lebanon area 24 yrs ago after starting my trucking carreer, 3 yrs later I bought a truck and I can't tell you when I picked up a pole since. When I was a boy, I lived to fish. When I lived in Fla (18 yrs) if I found a puddle I had a line in it. I've tried once or twice over the last 2 decades but just found myself fustrated. This yr I really want to make a conscious effort to do some fishing. I am looking for a mentor or a fishing buddy, for a lack of term to help me get back into fishing.

I've done the cross country riding on a bike thing only to find myself envious of those wetting a line when I rode by. The thing is I just don't know where to go, what is needed, per say. If we were in Fla, I could tell you, but let's be honest, fishing around Tenn is different.

I have looked on the internet for fishing clubs, but all I found were tournament groups and I have no interest of getting that involved as I still have a trucking company to operate. Thus how I found this board...

Here is the hard part, something I understand all to well.. A good fishing partner is hard to find and lets face it, there has to be a certain amount of chemistry. No one wants to fish with an idiot... LOL Does anyone have any ideas on find someone to get hooked up with ? I'm a 57 yr old, very self reliant man in the Rome area that used to ride , occasionally golfs and would like to recapture my love for fishing. I have my own gear... just don't have a boat and don't know where to go. I'd like to do bass, stripers and catfishing.

On a side note, I don't really drink when I fish, I know some guys can put down a case in a day... I'm lucky to do that in a year.. LOL

Also, what is considered fair in paying your fair share of expenses ?

I appoligize if this isn't allowed here, but I read a post similar to this from a while back and noticed quite a few guys are around me.

Anyhow hope to get aquainted with a few of you some day.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrock View Post
I'd like to say thanks to the mod for the approval to this board.

I moved to the Lebanon area 24 yrs ago after starting my trucking carreer, 3 yrs later I bought a truck and I can't tell you when I picked up a pole since. When I was a boy, I lived to fish. When I lived in Fla (18 yrs) if I found a puddle I had a line in it. I've tried once or twice over the last 2 decades but just found myself fustrated. This yr I really want to make a conscious effort to do some fishing. I am looking for a mentor or a fishing buddy, for a lack of term to help me get back into fishing.

I've done the cross country riding on a bike thing only to find myself envious of those wetting a line when I rode by. The thing is I just don't know where to go, what is needed, per say. If we were in Fla, I could tell you, but let's be honest, fishing around Tenn is different.

I have looked on the internet for fishing clubs, but all I found were tournament groups and I have no interest of getting that involved as I still have a trucking company to operate. Thus how I found this board...

Here is the hard part, something I understand all to well.. A good fishing partner is hard to find and lets face it, there has to be a certain amount of chemistry. No one wants to fish with an idiot... LOL Does anyone have any ideas on find someone to get hooked up with ? I'm a 57 yr old, very self reliant man in the Rome area that used to ride , occasionally golfs and would like to recapture my love for fishing. I have my own gear... just don't have a boat and don't know where to go. I'd like to do bass, stripers and catfishing.

On a side note, I don't really drink when I fish, I know some guys can put down a case in a day... I'm lucky to do that in a year.. LOL

Also, what is considered fair in paying your fair share of expenses ?

I appoligize if this isn't allowed here, but I read a post similar to this from a while back and noticed quite a few guys are around me.

Anyhow hope to get aquainted with a few of you some day.
Welcome to the forum!
You've got all kinds of good fishing around Rome.
There's a fellow up that way that fishes a lot, TNBronzeback, that might help you out.
Send me a PM and I will give you more information that I'm not privy to share on the open forum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Flat Rock, If you want to get into Catfishing,I can help..I dont do Bass as I feel they are WAY overrated fish and Not that great of a fighter unless you like "Bullying" fish(you know the one's,Snatch the lips and zoom them across the water in a hurry like lightning fixing to strike,LOL!) Striper's ARE worthy of a great fight but I'll leave that to Mr.TK to teach you.
As soon as I get into them I'll message you. I hunt right off Old Rome and Goshen rd in Lebanon so i know that area pretty good.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Willing

Flatrock.
I live just 3 mins from Priest and was up in Rome at the ramp just a few weeks ago. keep me in mind. When the weather warms up I'm more than happy to share the boat with you. I'm not the greatest fisherman but I do love it. Mostly bass fishin but happy to get into some catfish and other species as well. Would love to learn more about Striper fishing. looks like some great fishermen on this board willing to share info as well. I'm relatively new and have found this a good place to be with good folks. Soon as weather breaks and gets warm drop me a note here or pm me.

Michael
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Flatrock

The responses have been more than expected, actually so cool.

I live like 2.5 miles from the Rome launch/bridge, so that could be very convienent for anyone that like fishing this area.

Josh TY and I'm sure we will be meeting soon enough.

Tennoutdrsman, Very good, I enjoy a lazy day catfishing, we too will be meeting up soon enough.

agelesssone, TY for the welcome... I really didn't expect such a response so quickly from everyone to be honest.

I'm getting ready to head out for a week or two, then its tax time... I've been home since Dec 15th. So it would be nice to haul a few loads ..

I do need to buy a heavier rod for catfishing and stripers and get my license, maybe even go thru my old tackle and see what's good and what's not. I did buy some lizzards, crawfish at the fishing show, so I did find out I have a good assortment of worms from FL that I can use here in Tn (if they are still good)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 PM

Welcome to the site. Its a good group of guys that like to share experiences and give each other a hard time. Is Big Goose Creek in Rome? I've been wanting to get way up at that end of the lake and try to find some bass. If so I may have a spot in my boat a couple times come spring. Again, welcome!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 PM

If you dont mind cold weather vertical jigging around Rome, dont waste your time heading down river from the rome ramp several miles till you see an old nuclear silo. Dont waste your time starting your pass at the start of the creek between the current seam and the middle of the river and drift down till ya hit the 20' mark. If you still insist upon going, dont jig 1.0-1.25 oz hair jigs tipped with a tuffie AND a stinger hook or a 3/4 blade bait.
If you happen to come across a portly fella in a blue/black alumacraft with a yamaha (good looking guy if i remember right) dont say hi.
Gonna take a week or so to get the river back to normal clarity but the saugers may be in that area.....or maybe not. I cannot nor will i confirm or deny the existense of saugers in that area.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Having a set of chest-high waders and thick skin is necessary around here (just like biker guys) as it gets rather deep at times...especially from a few of the guys who responded to this thread...just sayin. You'll be happy here, incredible bunch of guys. I parked my Harley after years of riding and reverted back to fishing also. If you spend the time on the water...everything else will fall in place. You already have a number of accomplished guys responding to the your thread and should be slinging crap in no time with the best of them about releasing their fish at the boat-side because it was too small, line broke, foul hooked, wrong species and the like.

Last edited by notorious; 02-13-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 PM

You really should not listen to this guy. If you go up river from Rome and use the same set up explained by TNBronzeback and hit the right spot you might catch a good walleye or two.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Flatrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Having a set of chest-high waders and thick skin is necessary around here (just like biker guys) as it gets rather deep at times...especially from a few of the guys who responded to this thread...just sayin. You'll be happy here, incredible bunch of guys. I parked my Harley after years of riding and reverted back to fishing also. If you spend the time on the water...everything else will fall in place. You already have a number of accomplished guys responding to the your thread and should be slinging crap in no time with the best of them about releasing their fish at the boat-side because it was too small, line broke, foul hooked, wrong species and the like.
I believe its because of you I joined the group..When I did a internet search of fishing groups, one of your threads came up... you had ridden and decided to go fishing instead. What better place to gather than like minded people that been there, done that and got the T shirt ?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Flatrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
If you dont mind cold weather vertical jigging around Rome, dont waste your time heading down river from the rome ramp several miles till you see an old nuclear silo. Dont waste your time starting your pass at the start of the creek between the current seam and the middle of the river and drift down till ya hit the 20' mark. If you still insist upon going, dont jig 1.0-1.25 oz hair jigs tipped with a tuffie AND a stinger hook or a 3/4 blade bait.
If you happen to come across a portly fella in a blue/black alumacraft with a yamaha (good looking guy if i remember right) dont say hi.
Gonna take a week or so to get the river back to normal clarity but the saugers may be in that area.....or maybe not. I cannot nor will i confirm or deny the existense of saugers in that area.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank You oh mighty fish wizard... but unfortunately I do not own a boat and well although I'm slightly portly around the waistline... I sink like a boat anchor This is why in my original post, I mentioned that I would be willing to help with gas expenses if there was any. I suppose I could put in at the iron bridge in Carthage with a innner tube, but I'm affraid my posterior will get cold... besides its a long walk back to retrieve my pickup, providing the local popo don't get towed off for a little extra cash in their coffer.

As far as saugers, pardon me for my ignorance, but isn't that a stout beer ?
Ok you forced me to look it up.. ok, Its the first cousin of a ugly walleyes.. I didn't know we had those ugly looking fish around here, might have to see if they have any fight in them.

See, you done taught me something already without trying
Old 02-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Flatrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Welcome to the site. Its a good group of guys that like to share experiences and give each other a hard time. Is Big Goose Creek in Rome? I've been wanting to get way up at that end of the lake and try to find some bass. If so I may have a spot in my boat a couple times come spring. Again, welcome!

Goose Creek is where 141 crosses the river just south of Hartville
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrock View Post
Thank You oh mighty fish wizard... but unfortunately I do not own a boat and well although I'm slightly portly around the waistline... I sink like a boat anchor This is why in my original post, I mentioned that I would be willing to help with gas expenses if there was any. I suppose I could put in at the iron bridge in Carthage with a innner tube, but I'm affraid my posterior will get cold... besides its a long walk back to retrieve my pickup, providing the local popo don't get towed off for a little extra cash in their coffer.

As far as saugers, pardon me for my ignorance, but isn't that a stout beer ?
Ok you forced me to look it up.. ok, Its the first cousin of a ugly walleyes.. I didn't know we had those ugly looking fish around here, might have to see if they have any fight in them.

See, you done taught me something already without trying

They fight like a water logged sock, but taste like unicorn meat sprinkled with fairy tears!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Until !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
They fight like a water logged sock, but taste like unicorn meat sprinkled with fairy tears!!!

Until those eyes see the daylight at the surface! So you had better be holding on if she has any size to her... Ask my wife about the 10 pounder on Center Hill when it got close to the surface.... <'TK><
Old 02-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Until those eyes see the daylight at the surface! So you had better be holding on if she has any size to her... Ask my wife about the 10 pounder on Center Hill when it got close to the surface.... <'TK><

The only sauger and walleye I ever caught have been small. Just speaking from my experience. Lol