FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Nickajack Tailrace.

Spent a beautiful day below Nickajack Dam today. I found the white bass in the usual locations. Plenty of them to be had...see sonar image......but the bite was extremely light. I caught over 70 white bass with about 12 shell cracker and shell cracker/bluegill cross also. The Gills were all between 8-9 inches. Also got into some short crappie. I started out with a 1/32 jig head with a white colored Trout Magnet body. I felt no hit at all....just the fish would be on. Well enough of that...I switched to a 4mm tungsten Boogie Ball jig head with a #10 hook.......game on. With the tungsten Boogie Ball jig head and the Tict Ice Cube 6’ 9” Rockin’ Drift Mebaru UL rod I could feel em when they looked at it....LOL. As white bass go they are not that big...but using the UL and SOS 2# test line I had all I wanted today. Water temps were 45 degrees in the sun and 41 degrees in the shade. The stripes are not in the bay yet...they are overdue according to the locals. I expect the bigger sows to show up soon...at which time I will switch to the Truzer Ajing UL rod. The weather turned out to be great and no wind at all...my kind of day. I had the place to myself....that’s always nice.....but it wont stay that way. Life is good!

Regards
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Great report as always. Thanks
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Nice catching.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM

sounds like a great day
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Spent a beautiful day below Nickajack Dam today. I found the white bass in the usual locations. Plenty of them to be had...see sonar image......but the bite was extremely light. I caught over 70 white bass with about 12 shell cracker and shell cracker/bluegill cross also. The Gills were all between 8-9 inches. Also got into some short crappie. I started out with a 1/32 jig head with a white colored Trout Magnet body. I felt no hit at all....just the fish would be on. Well enough of that...I switched to a 4mm tungsten Boogie Ball jig head with a #10 hook.......game on. With the tungsten Boogie Ball jig head and the Tict Ice Cube 6’ 9” Rockin’ Drift Mebaru UL rod I could feel em when they looked at it....LOL. As white bass go they are not that big...but using the UL and SOS 2# test line I had all I wanted today. Water temps were 45 degrees in the sun and 41 degrees in the shade. The stripes are not in the bay yet...they are overdue according to the locals. I expect the bigger sows to show up soon...at which time I will switch to the Truzer Ajing UL rod. The weather turned out to be great and no wind at all...my kind of day. I had the place to myself....that’s always nice.....but it wont stay that way. Life is good!

Regards
You make me sooooo jealous! But I admire you, as always!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
You make me sooooo jealous! But I admire you, as always!

LOL...I doubt that Merv. You catching all those big members of the white bass family up in JPP. I’ve been given several stories about the whites below Nickajack. One says the white bass are small there...which so far is true.....another says they get really big...haven’t seen that yet. I did get on some good ones one year when Jaycee took me up in Battle Creek. Gonna keep trying though.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 01:24 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
LOL...I doubt that Merv. You catching all those big members of the white bass family up in JPP. I’ve been given several stories about the whites below Nickajack. One says the white bass are small there...which so far is true.....another says they get really big...haven’t seen that yet. I did get on some good ones one year when Jaycee took me up in Battle Creek. Gonna keep trying though.

Cookie cutter 12-14 in white bass is awesome when you're catching the numbers you catch.
Hope the fatties show up and get you some 16-18 inchers on the UL setup!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 AM

Great Day! Thanks for the report