FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 680
Default The devil has found me

The flu that is. For the first time in my life I have the flu. My fever finally broke just a couple hours ago so I hope I'm on the climb back up. I feel 10x better since it broke. I'm pretty sure I kinda lucked out as I was already on antibiotics for a different infection. My fever only lasted about 36 hours. I contracted this crap from my brother and he had a fever for 3 days! I wouldn't wish this crap on my worse enemy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 AM
FishAddict FishAddict is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hendersonville
Posts: 97
Default

FWIW antibiotics have no effect on a virus. This year's flu vaccine is only 10% effective so it could be a bad year.....Sounds like you are on the back side of it now. I understand your pain, I had it 2 years ago and it sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:38 PM
tkwalker's Avatar
tkwalker tkwalker is offline
Owner and Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebanon, Tennessee
Posts: 2,540
Unhappy Bad Stuff ! .... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
The flu that is. For the first time in my life I have the flu. My fever finally broke just a couple hours ago so I hope I'm on the climb back up. I feel 10x better since it broke. I'm pretty sure I kinda lucked out as I was already on antibiotics for a different infection. My fever only lasted about 36 hours. I contracted this crap from my brother and he had a fever for 3 days! I wouldn't wish this crap on my worse enemy.
My wife came down with it yesterday, went to bed early and had a miserable night.. At one point she thought about asking me to take Her to the ER. We are talking High fever, chills ,everything aches, sick to your stomach, etc. Her fever broke about Daybreak and she was able to sleep until late morning... And yes feels 10X better... And she had Her Flu Shot.. As for myself I haven't had a flu shot in over 15 years... For some reason every time I had a shot I would get the flu ... I stopped taking them "and knock on wood" I haven't had the flu since. ... I know My Dr. and Pharmacist says that the shots can't give me the flu ... They are probable right ... May be it's just been a coincidence for 15 years... <'TK><
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2017, 03:02 PM
notorious's Avatar
notorious notorious is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The Great State of Tennessee
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
FWIW antibiotics have no effect on a virus. This year's flu vaccine is only 10% effective so it could be a bad year.....Sounds like you are on the back side of it now. I understand your pain, I had it 2 years ago and it sucks.
CDC has admittedly stated they have missed this years strains...and the past 4 additionally. With a failure rate like that and the side effects it's simply not worth it. I hope everyone whom is subject to the illness has a speedy recovery.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2017, 06:35 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
My wife came down with it yesterday, went to bed early and had a miserable night.. At one point she thought about asking me to take Her to the ER. We are talking High fever, chills ,everything aches, sick to your stomach, etc. Her fever broke about Daybreak and she was able to sleep until late morning... And yes feels 10X better... And she had Her Flu Shot.. As for myself I haven't had a flu shot in over 15 years... For some reason every time I had a shot I would get the flu ... I stopped taking them "and knock on wood" I haven't had the flu since. ... I know My Dr. and Pharmacist says that the shots can't give me the flu ... They are probable right ... May be it's just been a coincidence for 15 years... <'TK><
I spoke too soon as I assumed my fever was gone when it broke. I was wrong! The fever has since come back and gone again. Ibuprofen seems to be what's getting rid of it. I hope she feels better soon. I've never felt this bad in my whole life.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2017, 06:37 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
FWIW antibiotics have no effect on a virus. This year's flu vaccine is only 10% effective so it could be a bad year.....Sounds like you are on the back side of it now. I understand your pain, I had it 2 years ago and it sucks.
It may not affect the virus, but it should help the infection.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 PM
tkwalker's Avatar
tkwalker tkwalker is offline
Owner and Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebanon, Tennessee
Posts: 2,540
Default I Spoke to Soon Also .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I spoke too soon as I assumed my fever was gone when it broke. I was wrong! The fever has since come back and gone again. Ibuprofen seems to be what's getting rid of it. I hope she feels better soon. I've never felt this bad in my whole life.
Same here with the wife.. She had to go back to bed at 2:00 PM and got back up 6:00 PM... Then Had to go back to bed at 8:00 PM... Not as bad as yesterday but not far off.... So Beware ... <'TK><
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 PM
MickT MickT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
CDC has admittedly stated they have missed this years strains...and the past 4 additionally. With a failure rate like that and the side effects it's simply not worth it. I hope everyone whom is subject to the illness has a speedy recovery.
They are about as reliable as the weatherman
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Same here with the wife.. She had to go back to bed at 2:00 PM and got back up 6:00 PM... Then Had to go back to bed at 8:00 PM... Not as bad as yesterday but not far off.... So Beware ... <'TK><
Wow! I could not have been more wrong thinking I was on the backside of this thing. Just like your wife, My fever will go down and I'll feel better for a couple hours and then BAM! Right back down the rabbit hole. It's just a never ending cycle with no apparent end in site. I CAN NOT wait until this thing is over. The most depressing thing is my brother has it as well and he showed symptoms 4 days before I got sick. And he is stills going through the same up and down cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:25 PM
agelesssone's Avatar
agelesssone agelesssone is offline
nashvillefishingguides.co
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Goodlettsville, TN
Posts: 2,472
Default

Well, knock on wood, I'm 70 and have never had a flu shot and never had the flu.
Don't ever plan to get a flu shot either.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Schleprock's Avatar
Schleprock Schleprock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Crossville
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
CDC has admittedly stated they have missed this years strains...and the past 4 additionally. With a failure rate like that and the side effects it's simply not worth it. I hope everyone whom is subject to the illness has a speedy recovery.
I had the flu for the first time 2 years ago, oddly enough I got it about a month after my first ever flu shot, so happened that the strain I got wasn't in the vaccine I got.

I refused this years shot for that reason
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 AM
softbaitmaker's Avatar
softbaitmaker softbaitmaker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gallatin, TN 37066
Posts: 10
Default Flu!!!

I have been lucky enough to avoid it the last couple years but had it about 4 years ago and it is definately a Devils Curse to get it.
I do hope everyone that has it recovers soon and are able to avoid catching it again. They say it has a way of making you think your over it and it comes back with a vengence a week or two later.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:20 PM
unkangler's Avatar
unkangler unkangler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hendersonville
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Well, knock on wood, I'm 70 and have never had a flu shot and never had the flu.
Don't ever plan to get a flu shot either.
X2 , .. well except for the 70 part.. .. ha
__________________
I've been doing so much with so little for so long now that I can practically do anything with nothing.

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM
tkwalker's Avatar
tkwalker tkwalker is offline
Owner and Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebanon, Tennessee
Posts: 2,540
Red face Update ... <'TK><

Sorry to say the wife is in her 4th day, somewhat better but still feels terrible !! ....... <'TK><
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 680
Default

Well I have not had a fever now since yesterday morning and I feel so much better. I actually feel good enough that I went out to lunch today. That's the first time I've been out of my house since last week. I had reservations about leaving the house and infecting someone else with this crap but from everything I read I shouldn't be contagious if I've been without a fever for 24 hours and I have surpassed that timeframe. Knock on wood, I think I'm almost over this mess. Now if I can just get my strength back I should be back on the water in a day or 2.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Site best viewed at 1280X1024
FishingTN.com