FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 AM
Fishing Fool

Default May 17th Cumberland River

So after my awesome 30-45 minute day I had Thursday, I went out on Friday. Got up early, put the boat in and wanted more big brown fish! I didn’t sleep a wink Thursday night I had them on my mind so bad!! Boy, was I disappointed. They had slowed the flow down, and fish were scattered bad. Caught several short fish, and only one that was 18.5”. It came on a swim bait in a ghost shad color. They guy that went with me caught one that was 17.5” on cutter worm using the Tokyo rig. That was kinda different to see.

The real reason I made this post is, I hung into a big Asian carp on that swimbait. It had to have been 15-20lbs!!! Somehow I snagged it in the tail. I fought that thing for almost 15 minutes. For the first 3-4 minutes I thought I had big Bertha the bass!! Got it to the surface and realized what it was. Got my pocket knife out and was going to cut it but couldn’t get it close enough to the boat. It finally pulled the hook. I notified TWRA on social media. I’m pretty sure that I saw a couple small schools of them on the graph, both within two miles of the dam. I sure hope they don’t become a problem like on Kentucky/Barkley Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Sunfish Assassin

They are in old hick and thick in some areas, go around marina lights at night and you'll find em gulping plankton, seen them up to 40-50lbs. Congrats on your pb smallie my pb also came from below the dam 2 winters ago 24" 6lb line almost took the rod out of my hand when I set the hook.

Happy fishing
Old 05-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnCreekMaster View Post
They are in old hick and thick in some areas, go around marina lights at night and you'll find em gulping plankton, seen them up to 40-50lbs. Congrats on your pb smallie my pb also came from below the dam 2 winters ago 24" 6lb line almost took the rod out of my hand when I set the hook.

Happy fishing

I have yet to see them on the lake side, but no doubt they are in there. That was actually the first one I’ve seen on the Cumberland. Thanks, they are a blast and I have smalljaw fever for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk