FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Default Looking for Advice

I'm gonna fish some bigger bass tournaments next year but I haven't made up my mind on which tournament trail to fish. I'm not sure how many of you guys have fished FLW/BFL tournaments because they don't get talked about much on here. My 2 options are to fish the Music City division of the BFLs as a boater or to fish the FLW Costa Central division as a co-angler. The BFLs are $200 each and there is 5 tournaments. The FLW Costas are $650 each and there are three tournaments. The BFLs are 4 lakes that I'm very familiar with(DH, CH, JPP, OH) and the Costas are Chicamauga, Dale Hollow, and Pickwick.

My goal is to just become a better tournament fisherman and better fisherman overall by the end of this deal. I'm very confident in my ability to locate and catch fish after a few days of pre-fishing. I had committed in my mind to fish the BFLs this year but as the season got closer and closer I started getting a lot of anxiety over it and convinced myself that I wasn't ready. Anxiety is just a part of life to me but That decision got me pretty worked up this past year. I know that once I just get one tournament under my belt that I'll be free of the anxiety. That's just what always happens. I used to get very anxious when just fishing a Wednesday night tournament but that quickly went away.

So that's my thought process and I'm looking for advice from any of you guys that may have to make the same/similar decision
Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Your ready, BFL...cheaper and more opportunities...and all home lakes.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:40 PM

I think the BFL payout % is higher plus with more tournaments you stand to have more chances. https://www.flwfishing.com/rules/bfl
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Fishing Fool

With MLF buying FLW they lowered the entry fee on both of those. But, with the costa championship the payout is ALOT bigger now, but there is also no flw cup to shoot for anymore. Bfl’s are great also. Either route you choose you’ll do fine in. Don’t get all worked up over it, it’s just fishing. Keep an open mind and do not hesitate to abandon a plan that’s not working. Also do not let people in their $70k boats with 6 TVs and power poles and all that fancy stuff intimidate you. I came close to winning one this year by myself in my 16’ Cajun.

If my schedule changes I might sign up for the Music City BFL’s this year myself as a co angler because I have limited myself to Old Hickory for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm definitely fishing one this year. I really want to be a boater but my main goal is to become a better fisherman and I'm not sure which decision accomplishes that goal. The only way I won't become a better fisherman is if I don't do either. I know what I can do when I'm comfortable. I fish a lot of little buddy tournaments against 1-4 boats of my fishing buddies. At one point this past spring I won something around 12 little buddy tournaments in a row and had a limit of fish in all of them including 21lbs 15ounces at Dale Hollow. Whatever I do, I know I have the support from you guys and I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. Thanks again guys
Old 11-05-2019, 08:15 AM

I have done both over the years. Started out fishing the top level of BASS and FLW as a co-angler a couple of times every year and learned a ton. but I had absolutely no experience fishing tournaments at the time. So the upside to that path was the learning.

But once I got a bass boat and started fishing tournies as a boater, I never went back. Having control of the day, fishing from the front of the boat, with all my gear not in a tangled mess made all the difference to me.

I do recommend the co-angler thing though if one just wants to get some experience.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Some good advise above. For what it's worth here's mine.

Don't do either unless you are financially able to pay entry fees and expenses without expecting any winnings. It's hard enough to catch the biggest 5 without the pressure of needing a check.

The competition is much stiffer the higher up the rung you go, the Costas will be much tougher to win. Both series will have some locals who cherry pick their home lakes.

Local bass clubs and trails offer a lower cost alternative and you can learn just as much from them as you can from the larger ones. Our club is BASS affiliated so I am able to go to the state tournament with an opportunity to qualify to go to the classic, not that I have any delusions I can make it that far. lol Their are FLW affiliated clubs that offer the same path to their national championship.

American Bass anglers also has several trails to choose from. The Fishing Tour trail championships will be on OH next October.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Fishing Fool

And there’s also the new tournament trail that’s coming up next year that is not local if you really wanna jump off the bridge head first. Lol. $5,000 entry fees, 6 tournaments, and you have to lock in a 2 year contract. If you listen to Bass Talk Live podcast they will have a show about it this Thursday. If you don’t listen to the show I highly recommend it.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
And there’s also the new tournament trail that’s coming up next year that is not local if you really wanna jump off the bridge head first. Lol. $5,000 entry fees, 6 tournaments, and you have to lock in a 2 year contract. If you listen to Bass Talk Live podcast they will have a show about it this Thursday. If you don’t listen to the show I highly recommend it.

If you need a partner for this one let me know. With your money and my expertise we could clean up.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna go on the boater side and do the BFLs and also fish the one Costa tournament as a co-angler at Dale Hollow. If I don't cash a single check it won't be a big deal financially. i think my goal will be to finish in the top half of the field in each tournament.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:38 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
If you need a partner for this one let me know. With your money and my expertise we could clean up.

This sounds like the deal of a lifetime!!! 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Old 11-07-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post

I watch it on YouTube some if they have a guest I wanna listen to. I think you may have mentioned it on here but did you listen to the one where Hallman had a gun pulled out on him at the US Open?