FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Dakota S

Default JPP Sunday report and a houseboat

Went out Sunday morning to search and troll a bit. I stayed a little deeper in 20 fow and ended up with 5 crappie and 3 white bass pulling cranks in area I know have brush. I was between Long Hunter and Hong Kong area. I usually don’t pull cranks a lot until temperature is 75–80 but it’s been a crazy spring so I gave it a try. Water temp was 68-71. The 2 biggest Crappie were 15inch then a 13incher.

Now to the houseboat. The houseboat went around me and knew I was trolling as I had my rods out he wasn’t too far away at all when he went by. He goes up another 75 yards cuts right in my path and they yell drop anchor. I was like, you have to be kidding me? There was family on board and I think he was a new owner from some of the comments I heard. I decided not to make a Big seen but this goes to show the awareness on lakes are awful. So be safe this time of year and wear you life jacket. I’m a Navy guy and have had a good amount of training in the water. I’ve always said you can’t swim a lick if you’re knocked out and hit the water. FYI This picture was taken when I heard, drop the anchor. LOL that’s all I can say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM

This is the same guy who swerves in your lane while playing on his phone and when he realizes that he almost ran you off the road or killed you if you were on your motorcycle...raises his hand and says "its ok".
No worries he'll be on a rock pile before the summer is over.

Last edited by notorious; 05-07-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 PM

I’d love to have a calm conversation with that guy and ask, “What were you thinking?” I honestly believe some people just don’t have any situational awareness. Maybe he has a stress-free life not worrying about others.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:13 AM

Situational awareness ? ? ? uh . . . no; none. BUT, he also just wouldn't give a rip; that's where he was going to anchor, full stop . . . you're just "scenery."

I was out Sunday throwing cranks too. Did OK with a 2.5 shiny blue and silver square bill "H2O" which is the $2.99 Academy Strike King knock off. I've caught a few on that this year.

Thinking very seriously about dumping the $8.99 and up "name brands" and loading up the box with assorted Academy cranks . . . for the numbers I lose; it will add up.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
Situational awareness ? ? ? uh . . . no; none. BUT, he also just wouldn't give a rip; that's where he was going to anchor, full stop . . . you're just "scenery."

I was out Sunday throwing cranks too. Did OK with a 2.5 shiny blue and silver square bill "H2O" which is the $2.99 Academy Strike King knock off. I've caught a few on that this year.

Thinking very seriously about dumping the $8.99 and up "name brands" and loading up the box with assorted Academy cranks . . . for the numbers I lose; it will add up.
Ive done it already! as ive lost strike king, ive replaced with H20. i like em! good action, good patterns and a steal when they put em on sale. Buy 3, sometimes 4 H20's for the price of 1 Strike King depending on style and sale.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM

If you want to get your crankbaits back buy this,

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=8706

best lure retriever I have used. I have thrown crankbaits in the summer on drop offs for close to 30 years and I had a weighted retriever of some kind, don't remember what it was, but I got most of my baits back when I hung up. I got this one a few years ago and have not lost one bait since I got it and I fish crankbaits for bass a ton in June and July. I put a larger diameter rope on mine, not a lot bigger but a little bigger.

Cool thing about this one is it rarely messes the line up. The other ones I have had I always had to retie when I got the lure back.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Sunday the pleasure boat idiots were definitely out.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the report. I haven't even tried trolling yet this year. I also like to wait until the water hits 75. May have to go ahead and give it a shot.

Usually on weekends when I want to troll during the summer I hit it at daylight and you have until about 9:30 or so before the pleasure boaters push you off the lake.