FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 PM

Default JPP 5/18 Report

Had a great evening on JPP from 4-8pm and dodged the storms. 3/8 oz shaky head with a zoom baby brush hog in watermelon seed did the trick. I kept the boat in 15’ and cast to rocks on main lake points. Fish were hanging in 3-8’ of water and HUNGRY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the report! Nice catch.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 PM

I was out there today from 11-6 and like you, circumvented the storms outside of a little rain taking the boat out at Fate Sanders secondary ramp.

Report: Started out chucking buzzbait but only had a few half-ass offerings. Got bit a few times on a skinny dipper. About two hours in discovered it was gonna be a cranking day. But it wasn't your traditional pound the bank -- they seem to be a little deeper. I got bit a lot right by the boat. In fact over half of what ended up being around 20 bites were on the last third of the cast which almost never happens. A lot of fish barely hooked -- I admit, I don't have a specific cranking rod: 7-6 MH with 15 floro doesn't allow for much delay. Went back and forth with 1.5 and 2.5. Color and size didn't seem to matter. Highlight of the day was my first ever Priest drum which inhaled a 2.5 and provided me with 5 seconds of thinking I had the lake record LM.

In terms of spots -- I don't fish enough to really care about keeping secrets -- they were as followed:

1. Second island if you hang a left out of Lamar. Fish the side facing south/Jefferson. It's just an ideal spot -- close to deep water/channel, tons of rocks -- not too big, not too small. Cypress trees for cover when needed. My PB (6-4) came off the SE point a few years back prespawn. Got a squarebill caught on a log, snapped it free, and she hit.

2. From there, if you head toward Jeff Springs, the bay to left of the shallow cut through. I work the bay and then keep going east. You got the channel right there but a shelf leading up to shore. It's hard not to catch a fish or two over that 100-yard stretch.

3. The NE shore of Pooles Knob starting right after the shallow cut through and then to the kid's camp dock. Honestly, this is the most productive stretch of water on the lake for me. I see a lot of guys fishing that hump offshore but there is just too many positive features on that shoreline, even in the dead of summer. For one, the chunk rock is the right size. Second, the angle of the slop is ideal: sit in 10-12, cast to 5-6. And because of current, there is a ton of cover that holds there, most notably the log cabin worth of wood to the left of the dock.

4. South facing shoreline at Fate Sanders marina. There were no shore fishermen so was able to take my time. Everyone pounds that little bay but there are a few stumps to the left that almost always hold fish. Best two of the day, a 3 and 4, came from there.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg priest.JPG (33.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-19-2018, 12:17 AM

Great reports! Thanks for sharing. I’m also finding them off the banks, 5-9 FOW.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Nice job! I'll be hitting up JPP soon. Probably Monday. Either JPP or Dale Hollow
Old 05-19-2018, 10:54 PM

I was also on the lake today. I started my morning trying to catch a few hybrids, saw several caught around 7 points, I caught none. After several hours of off chasing the elusive hybrid, I decided to see if I could catch some pan fish while waiting for my wife to join me on the lake. I started throwing a black 1/8 oz rooster tail, I caught several small pan fish, a few large blue gill. What surprised me, I caught 15 channel cats on it. Real fun with an ultra light, with 6lb flora. The largest was around 2 lbs, I caught them near the main channel, on the rock covered banks around 7 points. Finished my afternoon bass fishing, I caught around 15 bass today, the largest was around 3lbs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk