FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Default Spare Tire Security-Trailer

I know there is some irony in the naming of this post, as most spare tire holders on trailers dont account for much security. My trailer has the spot designated toward the front around the crank where the tire would lay flat where the main trailer beams make the "V" and the spot has the vertical steel tab coming up with the hole in it to secure a chain/lock to.
is this the most "secure" place/method of spare tire placement?
i would hate to have a pricy tire/rim stolen because i didnt think to use a different method of securing the thing.
would it make more sense just to keep it locked up in the backseat of the truck?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM

That is how my spare mounts to my trailer. I actually have a bolt and bracket that hold my tire to the trailer.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 AM

I've never had a trailer with a lay down spare, all of mine have been "upright" so to speak, and I've got a Master lock brand lock that goes over one of the lug nuts that prevents one of the 3 lugnuts from being removed. Was a bout $5-10 bucks but I've had it a long time. I keep moving it to the new boat. LOL.

It probably wouln't take much to break the lock, but it makes the lazy thief move on.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtroller View Post
I've never had a trailer with a lay down spare, all of mine have been "upright" so to speak, and I've got a Master lock brand lock that goes over one of the lug nuts that prevents one of the 3 lugnuts from being removed. Was a bout $5-10 bucks but I've had it a long time. I keep moving it to the new boat. LOL.

It probably wouln't take much to break the lock, but it makes the lazy thief move on.
Yeah thats all im trying to do is make it more difficult for them. If they really want it, they will get find a way.