FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 AM

Default Rocketman!

Ryan Newman is one of my favorite NASCAR drivers and he had a tough day. I hope he fully recovers. I also think NASCAR deserves a toast. To survive a wreck like that is hard to believe.

GET WELL SOON ROCKETMAN!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Ryan Newman is one of my favorite NASCAR drivers and he had a tough day. I hope he fully recovers. I also think NASCAR deserves a toast. To survive a wreck like that is hard to believe.

GET WELL SOON ROCKETMAN!

I saw that this morning on the news... What a horrific accident. Since my area lacks real news... Is or was Blaney, Newman's team mate or ??? I know racing is racing, but he did admit wrecking Newman.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Owner and Administrator

Question Mmmmm <'TK><

Even though it makes the racing entertaining I think that Nascar will change the rules about locking bumpers in the cup series like the Xfinity series after the Ryan Newman incident ...

NASCAR is going to have to change that style of racing, it is absolutely absurd to race like that. I don't know the answer but I'm sure there are a lot of engineers in that garage area that can come up with a solution.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:42 PM

This might be an unpopular opinion but Blaney didn’t do anything wrong. He was racing to win the Daytona 500 and his car was going faster than Ryan Newmans. Blaney was getting pushed by Hamlin and drove under Newman. Newman came down right in front of Blaney to keep him from passing. Newman created the contact because he wanted to win. None of the drivers did anything wrong IMO. Blaney is just a great guy and somewhat took the blame because that’s just who he is but I don’t think he did anything wrong. Blaneys car was faster at that moment and Newman just pulled down in front of him. Everyone wants to win the Daytona 500. NASCAR has done a great job over the last 20 years making the cars as safe as possible and that’s what saved Newmans life
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Even though it makes the racing entertaining I think that Nascar will change the rules about locking bumpers in the cup series like the Xfinity series after the Ryan Newman incident ...

NASCAR is going to have to change that style of racing, it is absolutely absurd to race like that. I don't know the answer but I'm sure there are a lot of engineers in that garage area that can come up with a solution.
I agree. NASCAR has taken a lot of HP out of the cars but they were still drafting at over 200mph. It’s a dangerous sport
Old 02-19-2020, 12:16 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
I agree. NASCAR has taken a lot of HP out of the cars but they were still drafting at over 200 mph. It’s a dangerous sport
First off I did not say Blaney was at fault, none of the drivers are, drafting has been going on for decades and it works but pushing (locked bumpers) has got out of hand and has created multiple crashes ... You can't do it in the Xfinity series... (no Locked Bumpers)

Now as far as Horsepower, actually the cup cars this season (some) have as much as 850 HP for your super speedway tracks (Daytona and Talladega) with the specked 358 CI, 90 deg. block using the throttle body EFI Carb.

And I am very aware all motor sports is dangerous. .. especially at 200 MPH plus .. (Remember I use to be a drag racer) Nascar has tried many different things to level the field as far as safety and at the same time keep it entertaining and competitive .. For example restricter Plates, special head restraints after Earnhardt's death ... Another example: I witnessed Cal Yarborough going over the wall at Talladega in a full bodied Fastback 429 CI Ford in 1963 at over 200 MPH... Times has changed, safety and rules have changed as well as technology.

To be honest After watching 490 miles of what looks like a freight train, (except the starts) I look forward to the last 10 laps... I told my wife during the Daytona That I bet there will be 4 or 5 Yellows and 1/3 of the field will wiped out before the finish, with overtime ... TK

Old 02-19-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
First off I did not say Blaney was at fault, none of the drivers are, drafting has been going on for decades and it works but pushing (locked bumpers) has got out of hand and has created multiple crashes ... You can't do it in the Xfinity series... (no Locked Bumpers)

Now as far as Horsepower, actually the cup cars this season (some) have as much as 850 HP for your super speedway tracks (Daytona and Talladega) with the specked 358 CI, 90 deg. block using the throttle body EFI Carb.

And I am very aware all motor sports is dangerous. .. especially at 200 MPH plus .. (Remember I use to be a drag racer) Nascar has tried many different things to level the field as far as safety and at the same time keep it entertaining and competitive .. For example restricter Plates, special head restraints after Earnhardt's death ... Another example: I witnessed Cal Yarborough going over the wall at Talladega in a full bodied Fastback 429 CI Ford in 1963 at over 200 MPH... Times has changed, safety and rules have changed as well as technology.

To be honest After watching 490 miles of what looks like a freight train, (except the starts) I look forward to the last 10 laps... I told my wife during the Daytona That I bet there will be 4 or 5 Yellows and 1/3 of the field will wiped out before the finish, with overtime ... TK

I think you misunderstood me. I said I agreed with you and gave a couple reasons why. It’s my understanding this year that any track over 1 mile that the cars are limited to top out at 550hp with the tapered spacers. I think next year they are limited to 550hp at all the tracks
Old 02-19-2020, 02:47 AM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I said I agreed with you and gave a couple reasons why. It’s my understanding this year that any track over 1 mile that the cars are limited to top out at 550hp with the tapered spacers. I think next year they are limited to 550hp at all the tracks
TR, that is correct except for Daytona and Talladega ... This my understanding now for 2020 and everything will be 550 in 2021... But heck The Xfinity series cars were running at 190 MPH with 550's Saturday...

QUOTE.."NASCAR is going to a new competition package for tracks longer than 1.5 miles in length, excluding Daytona and Talladega, which will knock the horsepower of these mighty V-8 engines from 750 horsepower down to 550." I think this is for this season ...

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-19-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:14 PM

No one wants to fix these races . If they did they would take out most of the banking and it would reduce the speeds and they would have to drive smarter to survive the race.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
No one wants to fix these races . If they did they would take out most of the banking and it would reduce the speeds and they would have to drive smarter to survive the race.
200 mph on a flat track in a 3400 lb car. No thanks.
Seems they already have to be pretty smart to survive.

Speaking of fixing the races. Chad and Jimmy Johnson did a good job of that.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
Yea. The fact that they don’t have to ever take their foot off the gas makes it much more dangerous. There are other tracks that the cars go just as fast but they have to slow down in the corners. Wide open the whole race at Daytona and Talladega
Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 PM

One thing for sure. If I had been in Ryan's seat there would have been no reason to give me an enima at the hospital.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:35 PM

He appears to be in much better shape than I expected. When I saw the pictures and video of him at the hospital I was kind of surprised. With no pictures of him after a couple of days, I was worried that even though he was alive that there was a different reason as to why no one had posted anything.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:02 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile The Newman Bar ... TK

Ryan came up with the Newman Bar in 2009 after a horrific crash ... Check this out..it probably saved his life in 2020 ... Make sure you google .. AOL.com and then Newman bar .... as well as these sites. https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comm...he_newman_bar/

https://popculture.com/sports/2020/0...fan-reactions/
TK

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-21-2020 at 12:04 AM.