FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-01-2019, 11:13 PM

Default Which winter lake do you run ?

As some know I'm buying my first boat. I do not know the lakes around Lebanon, Mt Juliet, ect...

I'm not asking for your fishing spots, I have a friend willing to go with me that fishes tourns to show me a few places. With that said, I've been told by a couple people to stay off Percy Priest lake due to the fact of a lot of debris like trees, log, large rocks and they keep the water level low, so more danger of hitting something.

Is it really that bad and where else or what launch docks would you suggest I use to run the boat a little ? I was told by one friend that has a good sized cabin cruiser that all he runs in is Old Hickory. Its all part of the Cumberland river, so why is one lake more susceptible and another not ?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Percy Priest should not havev a lot of logs like Old Hickory would but Rocks Yep.

Crappie are found on both lakes over brush piles.

Bass are deep holding on ledges ect. Warm spells look for bass around north rip rap and rocks.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:29 PM

I have no problem running JPP in the winter, I've fished it for 25 years. OH scares me more due to the debris that tends to float in the river. It's not a bad idea to get out on JPP during the winter to look around and get things figured out, it can be a dangerous lake.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I have no problem running JPP in the winter, I've fished it for 25 years. OH scares me more due to the debris that tends to float in the river. It's not a bad idea to get out on JPP during the winter to look around and get things figured out, it can be a dangerous lake.

Thanks... 121 views and 2 responses ?

Yea I was told Priest has some big rocks. I just wanted to know my best options to test the boat out without trashing it the first time around
Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 AM

Thumbs up Happy Fishing

Always follow bouys.

Nashville's Riverfront park is at flood stage so Old Hickory will have a lot of logs and trash in the main current.

When there is not a lot of hard rain and normal flow (1-2 gens pulling) follow bouys on Old Hickory and you will be just fine.

Download navonics app to your phone for normal lake topo.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Put in at 7 points and run the deeper water till you are comfortable. At winter pool all the docks are out of the water so you will have more trouble keeping your hull unscratched. The lake gets more hazardous when you get up past Hobson bridge. Be aware of the hazard markers throughout the lake.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Heiny is right. During the winter the docks are usually on dry land. If you are concerned about a scratch in your hull, the only way to avoid it is leave the boat in the garage until spring, which is no fun. The logs and rocks on JPP are at least stationary. On Old Hickory, many of the logs are floating and occasionally just below the surface in the channel so you don't see them but you feel them when you are running down the channel. Being very cautious until your comfortable and watching your depth finder and navigation buoys will be key. I fish JPP mostly but do get on Old Hick some. Both lakes produce fish in the winter just have to make sure you dress for the weather.

Last edited by jaybird; 01-03-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 AM

I would highly recommend a Humminbird with a good GPS and a Lakemaster chip for both lakes. I know you probably feel like you've already spent too much money buying a boat but this investment will pay off in spades. If you go this route hit me up and I will go with you and teach you the basics.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley View Post
I would highly recommend a Humminbird with a good GPS and a Lakemaster chip for both lakes. I know you probably feel like you've already spent too much money buying a boat but this investment will pay off in spades. If you go this route hit me up and I will go with you and teach you the basics.
This is the best advice! Get a fish finder that will take a chip with gps maps and buy a good map card. Lakemaster is great. Learn how to read it. This is the best advise by far for anyone running an unfamiliar body of water. It will also allow you to fish comfortably at night if that's your thing.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Always follow bouys.

Nashville's Riverfront park is at flood stage so Old Hickory will have a lot of logs and trash in the main current.

When there is not a lot of hard rain and normal flow (1-2 gens pulling) follow bouys on Old Hickory and you will be just fine.

Download navonics app to your phone for normal lake topo.
^^^This is the best advise so far^^^

You should have no problems out on JPP especially if you stay below Hobson Pike Bridge.
The biggest issue I see is even in July, no one takes the time to see what the white bouys are labeled. Rock, NO WAKE for example. You can go from thirty FOW to three FOW real quick. Just take it easy, keep an eye your graphs and stay in the channels until you learn the lay of each cut or creek. Long shallow points are out there as well.
I guarantee you that not a single fish will pass you by going slow.

I once saw someone launch a pontoon boat in Hong Kong and the ramp is deep in the no wake area. He hammered it straight across towards the rock pile I was fishing, THEN, one of the teenagers jumped over the side while moving, hit the water as the boat kept going. They circled back to him where he was standing in waist deep water. No exaggeration. Could have been all over for him but he was spared the Darwin award that day.

Just get out there an have fun and try to learn a different part of the lake each time. Wear your PFD...water is 45 degrees.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Lots of good advise on the thread. There are times that Old Hickory can get some pretty heavy fog on it. Even with GPS, it is pretty dangerous to run in the fog, so I'd recommend waiting for the fog to lift.

Learn to read your GPS. Understand whether it it showing "north up" or "head up". If "north up" the top of the view is north. If "head up" the map rotates based on your heading. Some of the lakes I go to have very shallow points and extensive shallow flats and if you end up shallow, you want to know which way to point the boat to get to deeper water. Old Hickory has shallow areas, but those are all located outside of the channel boys.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Master Trout Magnet

When it is a decent weather day, and I fish in the winter, I will do so on Nickajack, Center Hill......I know the lakes and the base mapping on the Helix is sufficient for me there. But on Old Hickory....and yes there will be a few winter days I’ll be out there.....I have a Lake Master and it...at least for me so far....has been spot on.

Regards
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM

Hollar at me...you have my particulars, no worries.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Thanks... 121 views and 2 responses ?

Yea I was told Priest has some big rocks. I just wanted to know my best options to test the boat out without trashing it the first time around

JPP does have big rocks and they can come out of no where. If you really want to get out and run the boat listen to alpha and go to center hill or even Tim Ford, both deep lakes. I live close to Normandy and it's deep as long as you stay out of some of the creeks with standing timber.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Should have added that the Navionics app for the phone is good but a solid Unit with GPS and a chip is even better.