FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Default What about Reelfoot next week?

Well I have next week off work and want to spend a couple days fishing in TN somewhere and was considering Reelfoot Lake. I like to catch anything and would love to catch some big Bluegills and Crappies which i should be able to do there I think.Anyone fish there recently?
Old 05-10-2018, 06:30 PM

This forum is made up of mostly middle Tennessee fishermen. I would highly recommend you hire a guide for the first day and then use his techniques around that lake. It’s an absolutely beautiful lake.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile For Sure ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
This forum is made up of mostly middle Tennessee fishermen. I would highly recommend you hire a guide for the first day and then use his techniques around that lake. It’s an absolutely beautiful lake.
The wife and I went to Reel Foot for the first time about twenty five years ago ... I took my new rig, 25 HP Electric start Merc. I had heard about the stumps .... But after a new S/S prop and lower unit repair ... I knew a Guide was in the future for Reel Foot .... <'TK><
Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Fishing Fool

Check out crappieforum. You’ll find better info on there if you don’t hire a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Went there several years ago with some friends who fish there every year , heard of the 100s of slab crappies that we were going to catch , when we got there started talking to some of the locals and returning fishermen, everyone was complaining that the lake just wasn't producing like it used to, we ended up catching about 12 nice crappie in 4 days

Last year those guys went back for a weekend and got shut out , maybe it was just a fluke, IDK but hard for me to go back there
Old 05-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Reel Foot .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Went there several years ago with some friends who fish there every year , heard of the 100s of slab crappies that we were going to catch , when we got there started talking to some of the locals and returning fishermen, everyone was complaining that the lake just wasn't producing like it used to, we ended up catching about 12 nice crappie in 4 days

Last year those guys went back for a weekend and got shut out , maybe it was just a fluke, IDK but hard for me to go back there
I think Reel Foot has been over fished and the Crappie size and population diminished. In fact the last time I was there (A while Back) Reel Foot was the only Lake in Tennessee That Crappie could be commercially fished. That was stopped years ago... <'TK><
Old 05-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
I think Reel Foot has been over fished and the Crappie size and population diminished. In fact the last time I was there (A while Back) Reel Foot was the only Lake in Tennessee That Crappie could be commercially fished. That was stopped years ago... <'TK><
Hope they reduce the limit on Blue Gill. They are being fished out.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Hope they reduce the limit on Blue Gill. They are being fished out.
They are fished out. No more in any TN waters to be found.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
They are fished out. No more in any TN waters to be found.
I think you are correct. I have not had much luck catching them this year.

#$%(^ Merv.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Well Fri after work I went down to Taylor Bay on Barkley Lake and camped out with my son and 2 of the grandkids.We planned to target Redear and Bluegill but I did throw my Mepps quite a bit.After pitching the tent only got to bank fish 30 mintues maybe scored 0.Next morning put in the boat and fished 5 hours or so, my son caught 4 small Gills lost a 2lb catfish at boat, grandson 1 gill.After lunch grandkids went home and my son and I fished couple more hours.My son continued to bluegill fish I just throwed the mepps. He caught 2 bluegill I caught a 4" yellow Bass.I'm no expert by any means but I usaully always can catch some fish;maybe just some small bluegill or 12" bass but I couldn't buy a fish this trip.We fished nightcrawlers,mealworms, and crickets under corks,same tipped on jigs crawled on bottom,and on drop shot and couldn't catch fish in springtime? Some reported better fishing on Ky Lake over the weekend but many struggled as well. Concerned a lot of fisheries are not what they used to be and wonder if the asian carp are putting a hurt on the foodchain.The crappie do not really come up in the bushes anymore on Ky or Barkley like they use to do either.

Last edited by buickfan70; 05-14-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add content
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickfan70 View Post
Well Fri after work I went down to Taylor Bay on Barkley Lake and camped out with my son and 2 of the grandkids.We planned to target Redear and Bluegill but I did throw my Mepps quite a bit.After pitching the tent only got to bank fish 30 mintues maybe scored 0.Next morning put in the boat and fished 5 hours or so, my son caught 4 small Gills lost a 2lb catfish at boat, grandson 1 gill.After lunch grandkids went home and my son and I fished couple more hours.My son continued to bluegill fish I just throwed the mepps. He caught 2 bluegill I caught a 4" yellow Bass.I'm no expert by any means but I usaully always can catch some fish;maybe just some small bluegill or 12" bass but I couldn't buy a fish this trip.We fished nightcrawlers,mealworms, and crickets under corks,same tipped on jigs crawled on bottom,and on drop shot and couldn't catch fish in springtime? Some reported better fishing on Ky Lake over the weekend but many struggled as well. Concerned a lot of fisheries are not what they used to be and wonder if the asian carp are putting a hurt on the foodchain.The crappie do not really come up in the bushes anymore on Ky or Barkley like they use to do either.

It is an odd year....this year and last one also. I hammered shell cracker last Wednesday down at Nickajack.........went back Saturday and they are off the beds. I only caught a few fish. Went to Old Hickory today and found tons of beds but few fish on those beds...and the fish that were hanging around were spawned out...water temps were 82 degrees. Some are catching fish while a lot are not. Each body of water is different. I was at Pickwick last week and could not find bluegill anywhere below the dam. There are no Asian carp in Center Hill and the bluegill bite is tough up there too. Don’t know what to tell you except just keep fishing.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 PM

I definitly has been a odd year for the fish spawn for all species so far from what I can tell,maybe the catfish will be normal.Was looking forward to a nice White Bass run up the rivers and floods really hurt that for me;caught a few early but never was on a super good bite.Probably caught some early spawn LM Bass but not much when water temps were where they were supposed to be at.I guess I missed most all of the shallow Crappie but did catch one nice slab a once shy of 2lb from a small watershed lake early May.I hope that some Redear and Bluegill will still be spawning yet and I can catch some nice ones.Mild late winter,cold early spring,and then it's like summertime.Last couple weeks have been very tough for me when I got to fish especially the big lakes;some of the worst trips ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32629413_1327349980742042_910282257841782784_n.jpg (70.5 KB, 19 views)