FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Learning is FUN!

I fished OH for a little while yesterday. The bite started very slow for me but I pulled into one pocket and everything changed. I started catching a lot of small fish and then I caught a 3lber that sure bit a little different. It took the fish biting a couple times for me to catch it. I don't have hardly any experience with catching fish on beds but I was sure that's what just happened. The water in this pocket was 64 degrees and everything else I had fished was 57-60 degrees. I went to the shallowest parts of this pocket I could find and sure enough I could see a lot of fish cruising around the bank and I could see light colored circles.

I pitched beside this one log and I could see a wake coming at my bait and she bit but I missed her. I couldn't believe I didn't see her because My bait was in less than a foot of water. I positioned the boat so I could see a little better and sure enough I could see 2 bass on a bed and one that looked to be about 4-6lbs. I made another pitch and caught the smaller fish. It was a 15 incher so I put him in the livewell. I pitched in there again and this time she got my craw. I messed with her some more with no success. I threw my buzzbait in there and she hammered it but came off. I confirmed that it was a really nice fish. After about 15 minutes of trying to catch her she wasn't interested anymore. I fished around for about 30 minutes and then came back before I had to leave. My first pitch back in there and she smoked my bait again. Once again I hooked her and she came off.

I never did get her to bite again, but it sure was a lot of fun watching it all unfold. These are the days that I cherish the most about fishing. I feel like I learned some things yesterday that can't be taught but only experienced if that makes any sense.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 PM

Last year the water was clearer and I was able to observe a bedder under my walkway. It was very interesting to see how she behaved. She was not there all the time, but was for a period building the bed, dropping eggs, and I think later guarding fry. I watched her aggressively attack a Gar, open her mouth, flare her gills, acting like she was going to eat it.

I finally decided to pitch a senko in there and watch what she did. It was very cool to see her attack that bait (and the explosion at my feet). I ate her for dinner...wait, just kidding. Gently put her back.

It's hard on OHL to see a bed fish for sure. Glad you got to experience it.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:31 PM

I have to learn how to catch bedding fish myself , I'm seeing some males starting to get on the beds in my home lake, females are supposedly nearby , going to try and beat this head cold and get out tomorrow

Any advice is appreciated
Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
I have to learn how to catch bedding fish myself , I'm seeing some males starting to get on the beds in my home lake, females are supposedly nearby , going to try and beat this head cold and get out tomorrow

Any advice is appreciated
I don't have hardly any experience doing it. But, what I learned about that fish yesterday was that my bait had to be in one certain spot on her bed. I could drag it through there 20 times with nothing, but if I drug it through one little spot in her bed it got her attention every time. There was a small shiny rock and that was the spot my bait needed to be.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 AM

Nice Report. I couldn't find them Friday, guess I wasn't far enough in the pockets. Questions: How big was the pocket? & Was it off the main lake or in a creek?
Old 04-29-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Nice Report. I couldn't find them Friday, guess I wasn't far enough in the pockets. Questions: How big was the pocket? & Was it off the main lake or in a creek?
It was the main lake pocket right below twin coves on the same side. I call it the powerline pocket. It's just above the steamplant on the opposite side of the river channel. The water temps in there were 64. That was 4degrees higher than anywhere else I fished. It was kind of hard to fish because of all the algae bloom in there. When you go in and go left and go down the left hand bank is where most of the fish were about halfway down that bank. I caught quite a few shorts but did have a 3lber down that bank . If you go straight in and keep going straight you will hit a point. If you go just left of the point there is like a mini pocket. The back of that pocket is where I saw the spawning beds and fish.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 04-29-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I don't have hardly any experience doing it. But, what I learned about that fish yesterday was that my bait had to be in one certain spot on her bed. I could drag it through there 20 times with nothing, but if I drug it through one little spot in her bed it got her attention every time. There was a small shiny rock and that was the spot my bait needed to be.
So look for shiny rocks? lol

JK lol, going out in a bit to try and get a few
Old 04-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It was the main lake pocket right below twin coves on the same side. I call it the powerline pocket. It's just above the steamplant on the opposite side of the river channel. The water temps in there were 64. That was 4degrees higher than anywhere else I fished. It was kind of hard to fish because of all the algae bloom in there. When you go in and go left and go down the left hand bank is where most of the fish were about halfway down that bank. I caught quite a few shorts but did have a 3lber down that bank . If you go straight in and keep going straight you will hit a point. If you go just left of the point there is like a mini pocket. The back of that pocket is where I saw the spawning beds and fish.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't seem to find any clean water last week. I was wondering if it was up or down river. I live by Station Camp and it's MUDDY! I searched from Lock 4 to Saundersville past Johnny Cash's house. Ghost town, except for the one 4 pounder off a random blow down.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 PM

Did you happen to notice any grass coming up in there? I was in Brunley Branch yesterday afternoon and there were spots where the grass was above the surface a few inches. We caught 3 on super flukes while we were back there.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehick176 View Post
Did you happen to notice any grass coming up in there? I was in Brunley Branch yesterday afternoon and there were spots where the grass was above the surface a few inches. We caught 3 on super flukes while we were back there.
I didn't see any growing grass.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:06 AM

Cleanest water I saw this weekend was in spencer creek and Barton creek up lake. Sorry can't give advice on fishing. We stunk it up.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM

This picture is for Adrian. It may not make sense to most of you. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture in a pm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1022.JPG (1.67 MB, 48 views)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
This picture is for Adrian. It may not make sense to most of you. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture in a pm.
That looks like the blueprint for a hybrid sex toy.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Lol. There is love happening in this pocket of the lake.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post

Don’t be jealous of the toy SAMBOLIE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk