FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile bfish your right about the Tarpon Reel <'TK><

"TK, spinning gear is used for Tarpon because of line capacity. Spinning reels (for tarpon) hold almost triple the line that a similar weight baitcaster holds. Also up until recently, baitcasters were much more prone to rusting than spinning."

bfish, yes the spinning reel was enormous ... But it still did not have enough line ... It was awkward for me to try to pump and crank this reel.. The Captain had to chase the Tarpon so I could start taking up line.

Now as far as a Bait Casters are more prone to rusting,(UNTIL RECENTLY)

Only if they were built during or before WWII. For the past 50 years most reels, except YOKOMOTO SPECIALS from Lord knows where; were made of Non-Ferrous materials (No Iron properties) especially name brand Saltwater rigs ... Now if you spot a green buildup, that is caused by electrolysis, with out proper care or maintenance ... Any reel (spinning or bait caster, salt or fresh water) that you see rust on is made of low quality materials . I bought a Martin Fly Reel ... With in a year it had rusted parts. My Orvis and Shakespeare Fly Reels which I had had for decades were Rust free... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-15-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM

You folks are funny

TK, thanks for the advice. I really am curious about baitcasters. I like the advice of how to setup the spool. Maybe I'll get myself one if I can find one not too expensive. Lord knows Ihave plenty of room to practice out back... its a perfect Par 3 strip of land

As far as a spinner, I used to be pretty darn accurite with it, utilizing my finger tip to slow or stop the line when casting toward brush or the shore line. I do have a custom med/light outfit that I consider my baby.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Default Reels

Flatline. I am serious about meeting you at lake to try one before you buy anything. I can bring different ones even my sons Lews to try. Who knows. You may say heck no I'm staying with spinning.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:39 PM
Fishing Fool

Lews and bass pro shops qualifiers is all I’ll buy now for baitcasters. Starting out you’ll want them on the tight side. Then you start loosening it up as your confidence grows. You’ll have the hang of it in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 PM

I'm just stating my opinion. I just don't see how someone could be just as accurate flipping heavy cover with a spinning rod vs a baitcaster. I'm not trying to start an argument but I'm not buying it. If someone could share a little insight I'm all ears and open minded.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:07 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Well Texas Rig you can buy this.. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I'm just stating my opinion. I just don't see how someone could be just as accurate flipping heavy cover with a spinning rod vs a baitcaster. I'm not trying to start an argument but I'm not buying it. If someone could share a little insight I'm all ears and open minded.
Like I previously stated ... I have seen Calvin Short Whom was my counter Part when we worked at Nissan.. Also we occupied the same boat a lot. I could not believe what he could do with a spinning rod ... I've seen him whip lures under overhanging branches no more than three feet off of the water and targeting structure 20 feet back under this foliage, and like they were shot out of a gun. Left and right sided Backhanded cast.. And jumps around the boat like a wild man when it came to positioning himself for a cast ... Not only hell on wheels with a spinning rod. but he never sat down while fishing, In fact he didn't even have a seat in the front of the boat. He is a true serious bass fisherman.

Maybe this is what makes the difference between someone that fishes and a Supreme fisherman, regardless what ones choice of weapons are, Spinning or Bait Cast. Devotion, skill, and the desire to be good at this sport. <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-15-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Why not get both? I have used spinning reels my entire life, when I lived in Key West we fished 3 to 4 days a week and all my dad would use was Mitchel 300 spinning reels, I've caught 30 pound Grouper and 100+ pound sharks on them without a problem , since then I have stayed with spinning reels because I'm comfortable with them

Last year I purchased my first baitcaster, a Lews MKR1sh and a 7' med action rod, have to say I haven't given it a chance , caught one fish last year on it and almost lost the fish because the handle is on the opposite side of what I'm used to lol, I just don't have the control down on it yet but going to make a concerted effort to learn to cast the thing because I know there are advantages , after watching some friends who are accomplished fishermen I found that they use spinning gear for finesse fishing, mostly drop shots and shaky heads then go back to baitcasters for everything else
Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I can pretty much cast a spinning reel anywhere, I amaze myself at times lol
Old 02-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Master Trout Magnet

They both have their place. I fish spinning reels totally now as I am an avid UL angler. But years ago....a lot of years ago......I used bait casters. My last one was in 2004. Having fished the Persian Gulf and Red Sea during my 21 years in Saudi.......many times fishing 7 days a week...in between wars.......all I ever used there was spinning reels. Landed many a GT.....20-60 pounds or so on spinning gear.....and for those that don’t know what GT’S are...look them up. They are known for tearing up some of the best equipment made. The high end spinning reels handled them fine.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Dakota S

I use mostly spinning, but use a baitcaster for heavy grass with braid and deep diving cranks it’s a must. Looking at getting a Abu Garcia Revo Winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 09:02 AM

I tend to not over-complicate things here. Light weight lures generally favors spinning. With heavier lures, generally, baitcast is better. When fishing species that require a lot of line and casting spinning is the way to go. I can control a worm or bass jig better with baitcasting, and prefer to use it with one, but I can use a larger spinning setup just fine with a worm and a heavier rod. I tend to use a spinning rod 65% of the time as I tend to crappie fish and use a lot of 4" grubs for river bass. To me the way you fish and what you fish with will tend to guide you what to use. If you don't have a baitcaster, and you fish a lot, you owe it to yourself to get at least a mid grade setup.

Last edited by FishAddict; 02-17-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the additional comments. Sorry I haven't responded sooner but it has been a hell of 2 weeks.. Had to go out of town and my laptop went nuts thanks to Microsoft. Spent the next 2 days getting my backup laptop setup for work. Headed out and then the radiator went. Now I'm back home waiting to get the truck into the shop. I'll be lucky if it only cost me four grand for a new radiator. Still can't get the other laptop restored... And all this rain. What is with all this rain ?

Ok to get back on subject... At one point I could cast 50' into a 5 gal bucket. I was younger, my eyes were better and I fished all the time. Today I couldn't tell you how far or how accurate, not after 20 yrs of not fishing. I think anyone that uses a spinning outfit long enough could be as accurate and anyone else with a bait-caster. All I know is I'm right handed so I would have to find a reel with the crank on the left side.

Anyhow I'm buying my fishing license today so at least I'll have that much. Maybe I'll try to wet a line next week
Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Why not get both? I have used spinning reels my entire life, when I lived in Key West we fished 3 to 4 days a week and all my dad would use was Mitchel 300 spinning reels, I've caught 30 pound Grouper and 100+ pound sharks on them without a problem , since then I have stayed with spinning reels because I'm comfortable with them

Last year I purchased my first baitcaster, a Lews MKR1sh and a 7' med action rod, have to say I haven't given it a chance , caught one fish last year on it and almost lost the fish because the handle is on the opposite side of what I'm used to lol, I just don't have the control down on it yet but going to make a concerted effort to learn to cast the thing because I know there are advantages , after watching some friends who are accomplished fishermen I found that they use spinning gear for finesse fishing, mostly drop shots and shaky heads then go back to baitcasters for everything else

I remember when my father bought me a Mitchel 300 spinning reel.. Then I got really serious when I was about 10 or 11 yrs old and my buddy and me spent 2 nights picking nightcrawlers to trade the bait shop cause I saw this Eagle Claw reel I wanted and had to have it for opening day... I fished with that reel for 20 yrs.