FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Dakota S

Default Trolling on JPP report

Was able to get out a few times in the last couple days. Overall kind of slow. Launched at Long Hunter and fished mostly Bryant’s Grove, Hong Kong, Long Hunter and one run to Suggs. The water temp was 84-85. I had 5 rods out with crappie cranks in 20-25 FOW cranks running 15+. I trolled areas where I know there’s isolated brush. All and all I caught 8 Crappie (kept 5 between 12-14’) 2 Largemouth a few yellow bass. A lot of bait around the 15ft range. I hate that I lost a giant Crappie at the boat. I would of guessed a 16 incher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2019, 04:59 PM

I need to go fishing.. I've never caught a crappie. Imagine that.. LOL
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 AM

I went Friday morning and had similar results. I only had two rods and managed 6 nice keepers. I was trolling water in the 17-20 foot range with 300 bandits. The natural colors seemed to work best. I also hit Bryant's grove and water in that general area. I haven't had a really good day of trolling crappie yet this year. It has been very spotty.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Dakota & TTitan - To achieve the depths you are working how much line do you typically have out and at what speed are you trolling? Do you use quick clips to attach the crankbaits? Also have you ever tried this with an A-Rig?
Old 07-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Dakota & TTitan - To achieve the depths you are working how much line do you typically have out and at what speed are you trolling? Do you use quick clips to attach the crankbaits? Also have you ever tried this with an A-Rig?

When the water temperature gets above 75 or so I troll crankbaits 2-2.5 mph. As far as depth control I don’t have a line counter. I make a good long cast let out a little more line and then if I am in 15 foot of water I will try to hit the bottom to see if it’s truly running 15 feet. Then if I am in 25 feet of water at least I know how deep my crankbait is running. So I will troll A-Rigs from about November through April when the water is cooler. This is more for hybrids, I do use a few planer boards for this, preferably in deeper water to prevent to many hang ups. I use 50 lb power pro braid for this with the Norman lures speed clips. I use the same clips for trolling crankbaits. I will use 20 pound PowerPro braid with 12 pound mono leader. Anyway those set ups have been very productive for me over the years.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 AM

When trolling for crappie I like 8-10 lb mono and I troll 1.7-2.2 mph. Just a little slower than Dakota. I use a similar approach as him with no line counter. After years of doing this you just know how deep your trolling roughly. I will check it occasionally by veering into 14-15 foot of water to see if the cranks hit bottom. I don't use any kind of quick clips on mine. I have tried them but would rather just tie them on. I have some planer boards but rarely use them for crappie. They are made for crappie crankbaits but it's really hard to tell when a fish is on while using them.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttitan27 View Post
When trolling for crappie I like 8-10 lb mono and I troll 1.7-2.2 mph. Just a little slower than Dakota. I use a similar approach as him with no line counter. After years of doing this you just know how deep your trolling roughly. I will check it occasionally by veering into 14-15 foot of water to see if the cranks hit bottom. I don't use any kind of quick clips on mine. I have tried them but would rather just tie them on. I have some planer boards but rarely use them for crappie. They are made for crappie crankbaits but it's really hard to tell when a fish is on while using them.

Hope you’ve been doing well. I’m surprised I haven’t run into you on the water. I think we troll in similar places. If you ever want to fish together give me a heads up.
Dakota

Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Hope you’ve been doing well. I’m surprised I haven’t run into you on the water. I think we troll in similar places. If you ever want to fish together give me a heads up.
Dakota

Yeah we definitely hit the same waters. I always keep a eye out but haven't run across you yet. I would love to learn the hybrid troll some day. That's one I haven't tried yet.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttitan27 View Post
Yeah we definitely hit the same waters. I always keep a eye out but haven't run across you yet. I would love to learn the hybrid troll some day. That's one I haven't tried yet.

Sounds like a plan to me.