FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Eagle watching.

Fished the last couple of days below Nickajack. The fish are not bunched up as they have been the last several weeks. On Sunday I only fished for about 2.5 hours. Today I spent 5 hours below the dam. It was a beautiful day with the mountains around me and 3 eagles and 4 ospreys soaring overhead it made for a great experience. I had the whole 3 miles of river to myself......except of course for the eagles and osprey. They were doing some fishing themselves. Pretty neat to see them plucking fish out of the water. I had around 16 spots over the past two days. The only pics I took are of the spotted bass....all cookie cutter fish in the 12-13 inch range. I also caught a lot of 9 inch white bass. All of the fish gave me all the fun I wanted on my Tict Ice Cube 6' 9" Mebaru UL rod using SOS 2# test line. I was twitching a Bison colored Trout Magnet on a 1/16 ounce ball head jig with a #8 hook. I was fishing a ledge that dropped from 4 feet down to 15 feet really quick. The spots were "Diggin". I did a little scouting today and found a place I will return to in the spring. I suspect this is a bedding area for some very big shell cracker. The beds are in deep water....and they are big beds. The other sonar image is of the white bass. They have been holding on this same spot for 6 weeks now. Never any big ones off of the spot but there is sure something there that they like. It is also marked in my unit so I can constantly check to see when and if the bigger ones will move to the spot. Going to take a break as the rain is headed our way. Would like to fish it again this weekend but it is Labor Day weekend and I am sure there will be a lot of folks down there.....but we'll see. Life is good!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 PM

Those 12 inch spots are some good table fare. The eagles and ospreys are a lot of fun to watch and admire. Sounds like a good time.
Stay safe and good luck to ya!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Is that first shot showing the spots you caught? Wondering because I would not think those are bass, whites or crappie is what I would guess.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Is that first shot showing the spots you caught? Wondering because I would not think those are bass, whites or crappie is what I would guess.

No...in my post I mentioned that the image was of white bass. You are right that those would be either crappie or white bass. I am shocked they have stayed in same spot for the length of time they have. Supposedly that whole area gets filled up with big white bass come winter and they stay there through the spring run. I am going to find out...LOL.

Regards

Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
No...in my post I mentioned that the image was of white bass. You are right that those would be either crappie or white bass. I am shocked they have stayed in same spot for the length of time they have. Supposedly that whole area gets filled up with big white bass come winter and they stay there through the spring run. I am going to find out...LOL.

Regards

I must have glossed over that comment in the first post I'm sure you will fill the boat over the winter. I've got to get down and fish that lake, it's not a bad drive from my house.