FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Sauger on Old Hickory

I have been waiting for a good rain to come and raise the water level a little.
Just as i expected the sauger fishing was good. I think it will even get better in the next few days as the water clears. Caught some nice fish on a custom painted Walley Diver. One was 20" trophy fish and another at 17"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170902_122422.jpg (1.51 MB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 20170902_102805.jpg (1.46 MB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20170902_102926.jpg (1.45 MB, 126 views)
Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM

Great fish! stay on them and follow them all the way to thier wintering holes then continue to wear them out!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Nice catch.......the 17 inch is a trophy in many waters also.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM

That paint job......looks very familiar?? Are you the buddy of Iforget2002? Awesome fish man, thanks for posting!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Nice job
Old 09-04-2017, 06:05 AM

Yes i work with iforett. we are both painters for Opryland hotel. i am the lead spray booth tech. He did post some of the lures i painted. the wally divers are working good right now. lindy makes them and i dont really like thier colors. experimenting with my own color combos. i seems to be paying off.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 AM

Nice. I do OK on them when it is cold, but have no clue how to find them this time of year. Without giving up your spots, how do you find them in Sept? Thanks
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Right now they are on sand bars and edges of the main river channel where it drops off. They especially like it at a opening to a cove or wide bay mouth. If you can find a drop with a little current thats good to. I catch them trolling using Berkly Flicker shad crank baits wally divers work good to. you need a crank bait that will run about 15 feet. stay on the 14 ft to 17ft range and you should find them. Mid morning to afternoon and dusk are best times to fish. sometimes wind or choppy boat waves will excite them causing more bites.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 AM

Do you go up river, or main lake? I'm interested in learning, but don't think I can troll with my 90hp due to speed.....
Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 PM

I have done well at Cedar Creek trolling in the main channel and also trolling the cove entrances neer the main channel. i have also caught a few off the points around sanders ferry area. I have a 50 hp on my tracker but you can catch them using the electric motor to troll. I would use about a 3 or 4 speed setting depending on wind or choppy boat traffic. the real key to success is using a deep diver that runs at least 15 ft. If you are not bumping the bottom in 12 ft then you lure isn't deep enough. Getting snagged is going to happen but you have to get snagged to catch good fish. must have a lure retriever and hope for the best.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldspoon View Post
I have done well at Cedar Creek trolling in the main channel and also trolling the cove entrances neer the main channel. i have also caught a few off the points around sanders ferry area. I have a 50 hp on my tracker but you can catch them using the electric motor to troll. I would use about a 3 or 4 speed setting depending on wind or choppy boat traffic. the real key to success is using a deep diver that runs at least 15 ft. If you are not bumping the bottom in 12 ft then you lure isn't deep enough. Getting snagged is going to happen but you have to get snagged to catch good fish. must have a lure retriever and hope for the best.
Adding a 1/4 oz weight will get an additional 4 ft of depth

I use a rubber core sinker 4 ft on front of my #7 Flicker shade to bump bottom in 15 FOW, 70' back of the boat at 1.2 MPH..
Hopen this helps some.
To see if you are getting to the depth you want, find that depth and troll across it. If the pole stops vibrating and starts stuttering and bouncing, then you are hitting bottom.. If the vibrating tips continues uninterrupted you aren't hitting bottom.