FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-02-2018, 04:16 AM

Default Unbelievable Idiot

By chance if the idiot that almost ran me over tonight at the long point at the mouth of Suggs Creek reads this forum I have a few words for you. You are a special kind of stupid, dangerous goof and deserve to have your a** whipped. That was way to close and obvious you never saw me til the last second.

For the rest of you guys here's the story. My dad and I were sitting at the green bouy at the mouth of Suggs at around 830-9 tonight. I hear a boat headed our way coming from 7 points probably. I'm watching this bass boat coming down the bluff wall from 7 points right at us. As he's getting closer my dad made a comment about whether or not he sees us. At this point I've put my rod down and I'm trying to figure out which side of the boat I'm gonna jump out of and told dad to do the same because in my mind it's no longer a question of whether this guy is going to hit us or not. I'm yelling and just as I'm about to jump he sees us and peels off to the side. Then this moron heads on out of the creek and up the right side. He goes out in the lake and does a big loop and in the middle of the loop he turns his lights off and heads back in the creek wide open and no lights on. I shine a spotlight on him to make sure he sees us and he headed back to where he came from.

I was very shook up after and felt like my heart was about to jump out of my chest. That was definitely my closest call ever on the lake. I don't know if the guy was drunk or not paying attn but he deserves a beating. I understand mistakes can be made and gave him the benefit of the doubt at first but then he turns his lights off and was still running wide open on a lake that still had a lot of fishing and pleasure boats around.

This was a bass boat! That's the end of my rant and the fishing was pretty good.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:19 AM

Sad for us to relax we have to put our life at risk by idiots as you described.
Glad you and pop are Ok and happy to hear fishing has been good.

Last edited by notorious; 09-02-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spellin before coffee
Old 09-02-2018, 07:16 AM

That is one spot I refuse to fish at night just for that reason. There is a sweet brush pile on the end of that point but it's not worth getting ran over for. Instead of swinging wide everyone wants to cut it as close as they can. I've seen big cruisers cut between the buoy and the bank, hopeing they hit bottom.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 AM

Wow. Glad y'all are ok. Wonder if that idot had his head in his gps and not even looking ahead. Some people don't even belong on in a gocart much less a bass boat at night.
Wasn't me. Had to work til 10:30 close by.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 AM

I had a close one at night years ago and that has deterred me from ANY night fishing anymore especially JPP. Glad you are here to tell us about it.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Owner and Administrator

Angry Yep !! <'TK><

Holiday weekends always brings out the Drunks and Fools by the thousands, especially on JPP at night !!!!
Old 09-02-2018, 12:17 PM

I frequently fish at night and always pay attention to other boats. I am amazed at how close people will get to you at night. Sounds like you were lucky he missed you. I really don't think a lot of people pay much attention. Boating or driving a car.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:59 PM

I'm just thankful the guy finally saw us. I fish there a lot. It's a community hole for a good reason. It always holds fish. I've had boats get close to me there and run between the bouy and the bank. I've never felt unsafe but just ticked off that someone would run over what I'm fishing. This was just someone not paying attention and we are very lucky he didn't run over us. I never even thought about it being a holiday weekend or I wouldn't have even went to JPP.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I'm just thankful the guy finally saw us. I fish there a lot. It's a community hole for a good reason. It always holds fish. I've had boats get close to me there and run between the bouy and the bank. I've never felt unsafe but just ticked off that someone would run over what I'm fishing. This was just someone not paying attention and we are very lucky he didn't run over us. I never even thought about it being a holiday weekend or I wouldn't have even went to JPP.
Fishing at night on a pleasure boating lake like Priest, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have spotlight near at hand to wave off boats.
Holiday weekends, high probability of BUI.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Fishing at night on a pleasure boating lake like Priest, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have spotlight near at hand to wave off boats.
Holiday weekends, high probability of BUI.

That was my biggest mistake. My spotlight was on the drivers seat. By the time I realized he didn't see us it was too late to grab it. That won't happen again
Old 09-02-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
That was my biggest mistake. My spotlight was on the drivers seat. By the time I realized he didn't see us it was too late to grab it. That won't happen again
I realized after a few "after dark" forays, that boat operators may have graphs with the lights turned too bright and it messes with their night vision and/or their ability to see ahead. The.position of your boat relative theirs may have blocked.out a portion of your running lights.
Just remember to keep a very bright spotlight handy for use and use it early enough to preclude any mishap.
Stay safe, my friend.
Merv

Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Merv,I agree 100% with the graph lights. Mine blinds me when I first turn it on. It's a small unit can only imagine one of those big tv screens.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystratos View Post
Merv,I agree 100% with the graph lights. Mine blinds me when I first turn it on. It's a small unit can only imagine one of those big tv screens.
I realized after a few "after dark" forays, that boat operators may have graphs with the lights turned too bright and it messes with their night vision and/or their ability to see ahead. The.position of your boat relative theirs may have blocked.out a portion of your running lights.
Just remember to keep a very bright spotlight handy for use and use it early enough to preclude any mishap.
Stay safe, my friend.
Merv

I launch a lot of times before dawn and when I first start my graphs (12" units), they are blinding bright.
As soon as they finish booting up, I'll turn them down to their lowest settings so as not to ruin my night vision.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:03 AM

I’ve had a couple of bad experiences myself where that 30-45 seconds of “crap where’s my light” could/would of probably killed the situation before it got standing on the boat edge timing my dive kinda bad if I’d of been prepared. My solution first was a high powered head lamp to always wear but with summer sweating and fishing it always found its way off my head, so I got a high powered snake type light and wrapped it on my back light pole and tapped it so I couldn’t remove it. It’s always there and I know immediately where to go plus anybody fishing the back LOVES it...