FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM
nofixedplans

Default Harpeth River and other areas near White Bluff

I am new to river and stream fishing and am learning so much from websites and trial and error.
I fish from the shore (no kayak, yet...but, getting waders).
I am interested in spots to fish that are accessible by foot and I can park my vehicle nearby.

So far I have found canoe outposts on Harpeth, the Hub Harris bridge (private property I found out), Turnbull Creek off Hwy 96.

Any other access points along Harpeth? Other Creeks or Streams?

And...I would love to go fishing with someone who knows what they are doing...please contact me if willing to share your knowledge and fishing experience.

Peace

David
Old 12-14-2017, 08:11 PM

There is road not sure of the name off hwy 70 right at the canoe places that goes to the Narrows off the Harpeth. Plenty of public access their. I used to go down stream from the canoe take out and have some luck.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Sunfish Assassin

Google maps/earth and twra's boating access site are two great tools in your hunt for fishing spots.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 AM

stones river is also good and has some spots accessible above and below JPP. a decent # of people fish at the JPP damn and you can catch all sorts of things there. Same on the cumberland river damn at OH.

Last edited by thewudd; 12-15-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:54 PM

The first rule of creek fishing is don't name creeks on the internet. These small systems can hold some really great fish, but they can't take a lot of pressure. the best ones are never named on open forums. Part of the fun of creek fishing is discovering new water.

I would ditch the waders. I wet wade April-October and don't bother with the creeks the rest of the year. You'll be better served with swimming trunks and some good wading shoes. Get a backpack or sling pack, and a couple of the waterproof Plano boxes with the rubber gasket in the lid and you won't have to worry about ruined baits by rusting the hooks. As far as tackle goes, I carry 1 fast action 6-6 spinning rod spooled with 10# braid and a fluoro leader. Match your baits to what the fish are eating- small baitfish imitations, plastic craws and jigs, and a few small topwaters through the summer when bugs are on the menu.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM

The name of that road is Dog Creek Road that turns off 70 hwy at the bridge and canoe rentals places.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM

The road that turns off of Hwy 70 is Cedar Hill Rd. Dog Creek is the first right after turning on Cedar Hill. Used to live on Dog Creek Rd. back in the 80s and early 90s. Good neighbors, good hunting, all around great place to live.
The Harpeth had good bass fishing back then. No where near the boat and canoe traffic as now.
We used to be able to fish the South Harpeth in a few areas and it was great smallmouth waters. I think most landowners have shut that down now. It is considered a non navigable stream so permission to access is required.
Good luck to ya!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up Dog Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
The road that turns off of Hwy 70 is Cedar Hill Rd. Dog Creek is the first right after turning on Cedar Hill. Used to live on Dog Creek Rd. back in the 80s and early 90s. Good neighbors, good hunting, all around great place to live.
The Harpeth had good bass fishing back then. No where near the boat and canoe traffic as now.
We used to be able to fish the South Harpeth in a few areas and it was great smallmouth waters. I think most landowners have shut that down now. It is considered a non navigable stream so permission to access is required.
Good luck to ya!
Yep, my mistake but I was close....lol My Uncle use to live just over the hill on Cedar Hill road and his house sat back off the road. I have kin folks living all over back in there. We use to live in Petway and that was how we would go visit my uncle and aunt. Back when I lived down there we would float the river in jon boats fishing the river between the bridges and have vehicle parked at the bridge we would be taking out at. Caught a ton of Smallmouths and Catfish on them floats but like you said, most land owners have stopped folks from parking by the bridges for take out. If you don't know the land owner they will have your vehicle towed.
I think these days the only launch site is the one at the Narrows where you can use the canoe slide to launch and you can take out just below the Harris-Street Bridge at old boyscout camp. That is still a great float. Most folks don't know that if you launch at the narrows and take the float it is 6 miles of river you can float and fish and take out at the bridge. By road you can walk from one place to the other in about 20 minutes but by river it's about 4-5 hours.
My son still lives down there and he knows folks so he can still float the bridges cause the land owners know him and my grandsons............