FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 04-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Lower Unit problems/questions

Sorry for the long read. Need help!

I'm looking for a little insight from any of you guys that understand boat motors.
I have zero knowledge of any kind of motors and much less a boat motor. Last week I was fishing CH and while I was running I noticed that all of a sudden I went from 58mph to 53mph for seemingly no reason. When I came off plane I noticed a grinding noise.

I had experienced this grinding noise once before. Last summer before my lower unit blew up and I suspected the same thing was happening. I tried to get back to the ramp but when I tried to get on plane it took quite a bit more time than usual. I immediately came off plane and idled back to the boat ramp which took a long time. I called my mechanic and told him my lower unit was messed up and he said bring it to him. He took it apart and said there was nothing wrong with it. He showed me the gears and they looked fine. No chipped teeth. He said that wasn't my problem. After looking at my prop and thrust washer it appeared I spun a hub. I took my prop to Performance Propeller and had a new hub pressed in and just got it back yesterday.

I put my prop back on and went straight to the lake yesterday. The boat planed out very nicely and my speed was back to normal so I continued down the lake to where I wanted to fish. Once, I got there and came off plane I could here the grinding noise again. Crap! I fished around for a few hours and never used the motor again except to idle. When I left to run back there was a vibration when I planed out but the boat ran and sounded fine until I got almost back to the ramp and my lower unit blew up again. It was the same thing that happened last summer; all if a sudden my rpms seemed to go way up for a second or 2 and then a loud boom and I could here stuff breaking.

My question is what is causing this? My motor has given me the same warning both times with the grinding when coming off plane. The first time I didn't know any better but this time I took the lower unit to the mechanic before it broke but he said everything looked fine. So, what is the grinding noise before it breaks? Could there be an underlying issue that is causing this to happen and the blown lower unit is just the result of this issue?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Lower Unit ... <'TK><

Call, Larry Hagan and tell him what you posted. Now, Like me he can't troubleshoot outboards over the phone but Get his opinion of what it might be. (two times to rebuild gets expensive $$ so there is a problem) ... If anybody knows what it might be ... He will .... Hope this helps ... His # is 615-289-8620 tell Him I told you to call him ....Check out Skillets post on page #4 needing a boat mechanic .. <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-28-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Call, Larry Hagan and tell him what you posted. Now, Like me he can't troubleshoot outboards over the phone but Get his opinion of what it might be. (two times to rebuild gets expensive $$ so there is a problem) ... If anybody knows what it might be ... He will .... Hope this helps ... His # is 615-289-8620 tell Him I told you to call him ....Check out Skillets post on page #4 needing a boat mechanic .. <'TK><

I second calling Larry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2018, 02:15 PM

Merc or JohnnyRude?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:52 PM

Mercury efi 175 hp
Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Lakeshore Marine...Bob Mueller
615-885-2309
Best Mercury mechanic in Nashville area.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:36 PM

Thank you all for the replies.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:01 AM

I also recommend Bobby at Lakeshore. Really good guy
Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM

That's rough having the lower to blow out twice in a row.. I'd most definitely take it to a different shop.

I also had to idle back to the ramp Saturday.. I must have connected with a piece of drift under the surface. There was lots of it. Luckily all I needed was a hub kit..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 12:51 PM

I'd be curious what failed and if it was the same component. I asked which brand it was because the OMC V6 units are something I'm pretty familiar with and have some parts for.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Have you hit anything that could have bent the prop shaft?
I wonder if the drive shaft or prop shaft could be bent just enough to cause your problem.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezelteck View Post
That's rough having the lower to blow out twice in a row.. I'd most definitely take it to a different shop.

I also had to idle back to the ramp Saturday.. I must have connected with a piece of drift under the surface. There was lots of it. Luckily all I needed was a hub kit..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I may have misinterpreted what happened. The lower unit went out at the end of the summer last year. 2 weeks ago I heard the same noise before it went out the first time. I didn't chance it and idled back to the ramp. I removed the lower unit and took it to my mechanic. He examined it and said everything was fine. I also spun a hub that day. Got a new one pressed in and went to the lake. My speed and planing out issues were resolved with the new hub. But my lower unit did break that day. Looking at my posts I may have made it sound like it went out 2x in just a few days. I'm gonna give my mechanic another shot as he said he would greatly discount the price of a rebuild because he told me it was fine the first time. He's gonna put the new one on and take it to the lake himself.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Have you hit anything that could have bent the prop shaft?
I wonder if the drive shaft or prop shaft could be bent just enough to cause your problem.
I wonder this as well! The only thing I have hit was in the back of Bledsoe Creek a couple weeks ago. I hit 2 stumps or logs that day that I couldn't see. But, both of these were at idle speed. They both did jar my boat pretty good though, and my problems started on my second time on the lake after that. I'm really hoping that's what caused this issue

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 05-01-2018 at 03:40 PM.