FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Alphahawk's Avatar
Alphahawk Alphahawk is offline
Master Trout Magnet
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Age: 66
Posts: 5,367
Default Nickajack Tailrace.

Spent a beautiful day below Nickajack Dam today. I found the white bass in the usual locations. Plenty of them to be had...see sonar image......but the bite was extremely light. I caught over 70 white bass with about 12 shell cracker and shell cracker/bluegill cross also. The Gills were all between 8-9 inches. Also got into some short crappie. I started out with a 1/32 jig head with a white colored Trout Magnet body. I felt no hit at all....just the fish would be on. Well enough of that...I switched to a 4mm tungsten Boogie Ball jig head with a #10 hook.......game on. With the tungsten Boogie Ball jig head and the Tict Ice Cube 6í 9Ē Rockiní Drift Mebaru UL rod I could feel em when they looked at it....LOL. As white bass go they are not that big...but using the UL and SOS 2# test line I had all I wanted today. Water temps were 45 degrees in the sun and 41 degrees in the shade. The stripes are not in the bay yet...they are overdue according to the locals. I expect the bigger sows to show up soon...at which time I will switch to the Truzer Ajing UL rod. The weather turned out to be great and no wind at all...my kind of day. I had the place to myself....thatís always nice.....but it wont stay that way. Life is good!


Regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 PM
fairweatherfisherman fairweatherfisherman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conyers, Ga
Posts: 114
Default

Great report as always. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Heiny57's Avatar
Heiny57 Heiny57 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: franklin
Posts: 883
Default

Nice catching.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM
jaybird's Avatar
jaybird jaybird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mount Juliet, TN
Posts: 235
Default

sounds like a great day
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM
agelesssone's Avatar
agelesssone agelesssone is offline
nashvillefishingguides.co
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Goodlettsville, TN
Posts: 2,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Spent a beautiful day below Nickajack Dam today. I found the white bass in the usual locations. Plenty of them to be had...see sonar image......but the bite was extremely light. I caught over 70 white bass with about 12 shell cracker and shell cracker/bluegill cross also. The Gills were all between 8-9 inches. Also got into some short crappie. I started out with a 1/32 jig head with a white colored Trout Magnet body. I felt no hit at all....just the fish would be on. Well enough of that...I switched to a 4mm tungsten Boogie Ball jig head with a #10 hook.......game on. With the tungsten Boogie Ball jig head and the Tict Ice Cube 6í 9Ē Rockiní Drift Mebaru UL rod I could feel em when they looked at it....LOL. As white bass go they are not that big...but using the UL and SOS 2# test line I had all I wanted today. Water temps were 45 degrees in the sun and 41 degrees in the shade. The stripes are not in the bay yet...they are overdue according to the locals. I expect the bigger sows to show up soon...at which time I will switch to the Truzer Ajing UL rod. The weather turned out to be great and no wind at all...my kind of day. I had the place to myself....thatís always nice.....but it wont stay that way. Life is good!


Regards
You make me sooooo jealous! But I admire you, as always!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Alphahawk's Avatar
Alphahawk Alphahawk is offline
Master Trout Magnet
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Age: 66
Posts: 5,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
You make me sooooo jealous! But I admire you, as always!


LOL...I doubt that Merv. You catching all those big members of the white bass family up in JPP. Iíve been given several stories about the whites below Nickajack. One says the white bass are small there...which so far is true.....another says they get really big...havenít seen that yet. I did get on some good ones one year when Jaycee took me up in Battle Creek. Gonna keep trying though.


Regards


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:24 PM
agelesssone's Avatar
agelesssone agelesssone is offline
nashvillefishingguides.co
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Goodlettsville, TN
Posts: 2,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
LOL...I doubt that Merv. You catching all those big members of the white bass family up in JPP. Iíve been given several stories about the whites below Nickajack. One says the white bass are small there...which so far is true.....another says they get really big...havenít seen that yet. I did get on some good ones one year when Jaycee took me up in Battle Creek. Gonna keep trying though.

Cookie cutter 12-14 in white bass is awesome when you're catching the numbers you catch.
Hope the fatties show up and get you some 16-18 inchers on the UL setup!


Regards


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 AM
YETI-14 YETI-14 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 68
Default

Great Day! Thanks for the report
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Site best viewed at 1280X1024
© FishingTN.com