FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Default Kayaking the Caney

Have any of you guys kayaked/fished the full length of the Caney? Me and a few friends are looking into doing this this summer. I'm going to look into a few good spots to camp about halfway. I have family friends that live up there and will check and see if they know any landowners through there.

Last edited by thehick176; 02-04-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Running the Caney .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehick176 View Post
Have any of you guys kayaked/fished the full length of the Caney? Me and a few friends are looking into doing this this summer. I'm going to look into a few good spots to camp about halfway. I have family friends that live up there and will check and see if they know any landowners through there.
I have ran the river three times. Most of the land that borders the river is pasture land for large farms, and some of the land owners do not physically live there. .. I have never ran into any problems with land owners ... Just pick up after yourself and pick a spot above max generation water levels.. (Note: the TVA, schedule does not always run true). The landowners are aware of the usual boat floats and camping especially since the explosion of Yaks and outfitters. If you see a posted sign I would pass that stretch by. <'TK><
Old 02-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Thanks TK. I would think that most landowners around there wouldnt mind as long as you don't leave a mess. In your trips, how long did it take to float the whole stretch from the dam to Carthage?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:45 PM

I’d like to know how long it takes as well. My wife and I have been talking about doing the same trip. Anyone know how many total miles it is?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Info ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBMO View Post
I’d like to know how long it takes as well. My wife and I have been talking about doing the same trip. Anyone know how many total miles it is?
It depends if you fish along the way and generation ...It is 28 miles from the dam to Carthage ... it is five miles from the dam to Happy Hollow ... three more miles to Betty's island. ... <'TK><
Old 02-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Definitely fishing along the way. We plan on dedicating at least 2 days for the trip. It's going to be a eat what we catch trip, of course the water will keep the adult beverages chilled.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM

Depends on flow and how little you fish... better set a full three days aside.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Sunfish Assassin

Whenever I go on float trips with no generation or little current and I plan on fishing most of the day I try to only cover 6 miles a day and even that can be hard to do if you fish every hole. I would say 4 full days of fishing to cover the 28 miles.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:36 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun.