FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
The bass were great this weekend, from 9 to 21 feet, caught them really good and even had a couple nice fish. Took my friend, who taught me about fishing deeper water for bass, and his son, we quit counting at 40 on Saturday. Fished from 11 am til 5:30 pm. Couple places we would catch a bass on most every cast for a bit. DT 10, 14 and 20 rapalas and a texas rigged worm is what we fished with. We had 15 easy over 15" and a couple in the 4 to 5lb range. Some places they wanted a crankbait and some they wanted the worm more. Sunday was not as good but still caught several bass.

Yesterday was really good to. Even found one school in 24 to 26 feet of water. they were smaller, but there was a bunch of them. Not sure if we caught a legal keeping bass, but sure caught a pile of them.

I fish the old river channel more than anything. Fish were right on the drop or in the channel next to the drop.

Thx for the info. I should get my boat back this week and JPP is a likely target in the next couple weeks.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Always Learning

Quote:
The bass were great this weekend, from 9 to 21 feet, caught them really good and even had a couple nice fish. Took my friend, who taught me about fishing deeper water for bass, and his son, we quit counting at 40 on Saturday. Fished from 11 am til 5:30 pm. Couple places we would catch a bass on most every cast for a bit. DT 10, 14 and 20 rapalas and a texas rigged worm is what we fished with. We had 15 easy over 15" and a couple in the 4 to 5lb range. Some places they wanted a crankbait and some they wanted the worm more. Sunday was not as good but still caught several bass.

Yesterday was really good to. Even found one school in 24 to 26 feet of water. they were smaller, but there was a bunch of them. Not sure if we caught a legal keeping bass, but sure caught a pile of them.

I fish the old river channel more than anything. Fish were right on the drop or in the channel next to the drop.

Great report, thank you.

Were you fishing up river? I ask because I would have thought boat traffic would be so bad this weekend that channel fishing would be out of the question.
Ledge fishing is a lot of fun and it reminds me of KY Lake years ago.
I plan on going again one night this week and will post report.

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM

I can confirm Headhunter. I went out last night from 4 till sundown and had a great night catching all species. Trolling crankbaits. I put in at long hunter and fished what I found out after I looked at a map was the old river channel. I had bandit 200's on. I even caught a few channel catfish on the cranks trolling. A monster hybrid broke me off right at the boat at the end of my trip.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culprit7.5 View Post
Great report, thank you.

Were you fishing up river? I ask because I would have thought boat traffic would be so bad this weekend that channel fishing would be out of the question.
Ledge fishing is a lot of fun and it reminds me of KY Lake years ago.
I plan on going again one night this week and will post report.

Thanks again.
Boat traffic actually makes the fishing better.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Boat traffic actually makes the fishing better.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Went yesterday afternoon. Decided to go looking toward the dam for bass, I have never really fished for bass from the hobson pike bridge to the dam. I rode and watched my depthfinder till I thought I found what I was looking for. A couple spots I thought for sure had bass on them, but I caught nothing. I did find 2 good schools of bass, one in 9 feet of water and the other in 17 feet. Caught a bunch of bass including 2 that were over 5 and at least 8 total that were over 15". Crankbait and texas rigged worm. For sure a good time to look for bass.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Some of my best days ever catching bass on a dropoff, hump or a flat have been on holidays. Boat traffic pushes the fish deeper. Actually, a couple of places I fish, they are for the most part 10' deep, I like when a boat runs right over them. You throw right where the boat ran through and you will catch a bass, sometimes a good one. About 30 years ago, first time I did that with my brother, we dropped the anchor and he said what are you doing, we are going to get run over. I told him to wait and throw when a boat ran over the hump. His first cast he caught a 6-1/2 lb bass. He changed his mind pretty quick.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:15 AM

I would never have thought
Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Always Learning

Although I was thinking of how close other boaters come to me when sitting on a shallow point as to why fishing the channel would be difficult on a holiday weekend, this does make sense.
I believe that when I fish the Cumberland and a barge comes by, this stirs up the bait or something because I definitely notice a flurry of action for the next few minutes.
Either way, I assure you I have been studying my JPP map to plot my next outing and there will be some channel ledges visited...
Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 AM

It was an accident but I figured it out about 30 years ago. Bass will go deep in June and July, not everywhere, but on many lakes they will. If you can find them, the hottest days, the middle of the day is the best time to fish. Well they will move out deep in the middle of the night to. midnight to about 4 am is a great time to fish deep for them also. We use to catch some really nice bass and a bunch of them at that time. Up until midnight it was always tough for me.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Some of my best days ever catching bass on a dropoff, hump or a flat have been on holidays. Boat traffic pushes the fish deeper. Actually, a couple of places I fish, they are for the most part 10' deep, I like when a boat runs right over them. You throw right where the boat ran through and you will catch a bass, sometimes a good one. About 30 years ago, first time I did that with my brother, we dropped the anchor and he said what are you doing, we are going to get run over. I told him to wait and throw when a boat ran over the hump. His first cast he caught a 6-1/2 lb bass. He changed his mind pretty quick.

I had that happen last year on a spot. Underwater point that comes up to about 8' and drops into 30 with a bunch of big rock on it. I was fishing it while watching this wake boat cruising up and down the channel. He passed me a few times and then decided to drive right over the spot I was fishing, moments later the fish went nuts blowing bait up on the surface. He made 4 or 5 passes and they did it every time. It was chunk the swim bait and reel them in as fast as you could.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:03 AM
Always Learning

Boater killed and two more injured in crash involving two boats near Hobson Pike Bridge last night.
I haven't seen many details but they were running under power. I guess we'll find out from the survivors eventually.

As I head out there tonight I will be keeping these folks and everyone else on here in mind.

Please take it easy and be careful.