FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Owner and Administrator

Red face Evinrude is dead after 113 years

I read it on the AOMCI forum first then I googled it and read the article. Basically BRP is getting out of the outboard business completely and supposedly signed an agreement with Mercury as a supply line for their boat companies (AlumaCraft, Manitou and I think the other is an Australian company). I would assume they have to supply parts for ten years but since they are a Canadian company they may not I don't know how the law reads.... Now with this said BRP four stroke Power heads are Suzuki's . Like Merc's are Yamaha's so parts will still be available ... My opinion ... TK

Yesterday Bombardier Recreation Products BRP announced the end of life for Evinrude Outboards. Evinrude outboards will no longer be manufactured after 113 years. Evinrude is dead long live Evinrude.
BRP exits outboard motor business. Canadian company BRP stunned the recreational boating industry with their announcement it will immediately stop making Evinrude outboards. “Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately.
Canadian company BRP has announced it will stop making the Evinrude outboard boat engines.

BRP, in a statement on its website, said, that it has “re-oriented its marine business by focusing on the growth of its boat brands with new technology and innovative marine products. We will discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines. Our Sturtevant, WI, facility, will be repurposed for new projects to pursue our plan to provide consumers with an unparalleled experience on the water.”

The company said it is "committed to our Buy, Build, Transform Marine strategy which has been underway since 2018 with the acquisition of Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the U.S., followed by the acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater in 2019.

Company president and CEO José Boisjoli said, “Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand.”

The company said it has signed an agreement with Mercury Marine "to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to our boat brands.

We will continue to supply customers and our dealer network service parts and will honour our manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally."

The company plans to expand its role in pontoon and aluminum fishing markets.

It also will consolidate its Alumacraft operations from two locations to one in St. Peter, Minn. The Arkadelphia, Ark., plant will be closed.

BRP also makes Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, Sea-Doo water craft and Alumacraft, Manitou, Quintrex, Stacer and Savage boats along with the Rotax marine propulsion syst......
[/COLOR]
Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 AM

I had read an article several months back regarding how Yamaha and Mercury were fixed to be the two leaders in the marine industry with Yamaha quickly overcoming the BRP OB. Just last month the Evinrude G2 300 was positioned to break durability records with the NY to Bermuda offshore race. (https://www.boatingmag.com/story/boa...ds-durability/)

News of Evinrude struggling to maintain a market share has been kicked around for a few years seemingly looking through the rear view mirror with 2 stroke technology whilst Honda, Mercury and Yamaha are clearly focused on the 4 stroke market. That being said, I love my Yamaha's and its sad news for the marine industry, I believe its just the tip of the trend although.

Last edited by notorious; 05-30-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:15 PM

I wonder if someone will pick up Evinrude sometime in the future. It seems to be to good of a product to just shut it down and shove it in a corner.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 AM
Owner and Administrator

Default Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 54 View Post
I wonder if someone will pick up Evinrude sometime in the future. It seems to be to good of a product to just shut it down and shove it in a corner.
Well like previously stated they are Suzuki power heads ... You may see a Merc version that is Suzuki instead of Yama's under the Rue nameplate ??, But for now Merc will keep Yama's ... TK
Old 06-07-2020, 07:53 AM

I had a 200 hp Johnson. I named it Big Johnson.
It always felt good to show off my Big Johnson at the lake.