FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 PM

Default Center Hill dam

Had to run up to Cookeville today, my youngest son tagging along. We crossed the 1st Caney fork bridge and were surprised at the level of flow. I decided to swing up to the dam and check it out. Spill gates were cracked and the river was treacherous, something to see if your up that way soon. Anyways, the saddle dam is being constructed along with the new ramp on the lake side of the dam at the end as you cross over. I’m pretty excited about that, as it will shave 15 mins drive off for me. Does anyone know the purpose of this saddle dam? To handle storm runoff or provide water storage above lake elevation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmm <'TK><

TroutFiend, if you are referring to the dam/wall to the left of your picture on the Lake side (can't been seen from your pic) .. That use to be referred to as the Fuse Plug... When I was guiding and had my cabin in Lancaster I frequented the Big Rock Market which was owned by Joel Martin.

Now this conversation took place over 18 years ago. He told me the purpose of the Fuse plug was to release a controlled flow of water if the lake level could not be maintained by the dam. To prevent the breaching of the dam it would flow over the Fuse.

Joel said the Corps gave him $50,000 in advance to invest because the overflow would flood the intersection of Big Rock Market. And flood insurance could not be had. Joel said he invested some of his money wisely ... EMU'S LOL !! <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 03-16-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM

Gotcha, looking at google maps it does kind of point in his direction.
😯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Back when I frequented that area and the Dam retrofit was in the works, timber clearing and such... You could look and see the pathway that the flow would take from the fuse... TK
Old 03-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Yup the saddle dam is a fuse plug. In theory the plug will blow, only partially draining the reservoir. Alternative is to have the whole dam blow.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 PM

I hit the lake today and its still high and the fish still have lock jaw
Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
I hit the lake today and its still high and the fish still have lock jaw
That's common with Bluebird sky's (means high pressure, it affects the bladders in fish and they usually stay low and do not eat) especially with a wind blown front out of the west/northwest ... Really had nothing to do with the lake level ... TK
Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
That's common with Bluebird sky's (means high pressure, it affects the bladders in fish and they usually stay low and do not eat) especially with a wind blown front out of the west/northwest ... Really had nothing to do with the lake level ... TK

So you're say low pressure or dropping atmospheric pressure makes for better fishing ? I did find that they were hovering around 20-30 feet and bait fish (I think) was 10-20 feet. Surface water them was around 54*
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
So you're say low pressure or dropping atmospheric pressure makes for better fishing ? I did find that they were hovering around 20-30 feet and bait fish (I think) was 10-20 feet. Surface water them was around 54*
Flatline, If I remember correctly the Bait fish during these conditions would hang around the thermocline which is about 20 feet in Center Hill. TK