FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-17-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Keeping minnows alive

Bought 1/2 lb minnows yesterday and only used a few. Planning to go today and most all are dead. Didn't hookup my small Aireator. What you guys do to help keep them alive.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystratos View Post
Bought 1/2 lb minnows yesterday and only used a few. Planning to go today and most all are dead. Didn't hookup my small Aireator. What you guys do to help keep them alive.

So I didn’t have to keep spending money on batteries for my aerator I bought one you just plug in at a pet store. I can keep minnows for a while as long as I change out the water. I’ve used better bait minnow keeper. Im sure several products like this work. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 AM

I picked up an aquarium on the side of the road added a new blubber and bought a ziplock bag of the blue stuff from the bait shop. It seems to work well for standard minnows and shiners as long as the water temperature doesn't get to warm. I keep it in the garage next to the boat so it is a easy transition.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Minnows ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I picked up an aquarium on the side of the road added a new blubber and bought a ziplock bag of the blue stuff from the bait shop. It seems to work well for standard minnows and shiners as long as the water temperature doesn't get to warm. I keep it in the garage next to the boat so it is a easy transition.
Putting them in a refrigerator helps .... <'TK><
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Put plenty of water in a larger cooler and hook up a 110v aerator with a stone on it to it to keep dissolved o2 in there. If it is cooler outside than inside, keep them outside, cooler temps reduce metabolism which reduces nitrogen wastes in the water that accumulate and messes up the water. If keeping longer than a few days I run down to the lake and grab a bucket of fresh water and add to it. If you are not near fresh water you can use tap, but you have do dechlorinate it or let it sit out a couple of days prior to adding. Keeping minnows alive a week sometimes longer is very doable.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Thanks Guys.Sounds like a cooler and aerator w/bait alive will work.Dang things are like every thing else getting too expensive not to take care of them.
I did here a guy say once that if you take care of minnows in the boat they will be more lively and produce better.Like offering a T-bone instead of bologna
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
Put plenty of water in a larger cooler and hook up a 110v aerator with a stone on it to it to keep dissolved o2 in there. If it is cooler outside than inside, keep them outside, cooler temps reduce metabolism which reduces nitrogen wastes in the water that accumulate and messes up the water. If keeping longer than a few days I run down to the lake and grab a bucket of fresh water and add to it. If you are not near fresh water you can use tap, but you have do dechlorinate it or let it sit out a couple of days prior to adding. Keeping minnows alive a week sometimes longer is very doable.
I don't use minnows anymore but at one time I used them a lot. To solve my water problem I used rain water an 120 volt aerator and a women pantyhose with a handful of activated charcoal from the pet store. I would hang the charcoal in the bubbles. worked great for me.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
I don't use minnows anymore but at one time I used them a lot. To solve my water problem I used rain water an 120 volt aerator and a women pantyhose with a handful of activated charcoal from the pet store. I would hang the charcoal in the bubbles. worked great for me.
If my wife found pantyhose in my minnow bucket I doubt she would believe it was to save the minnows.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
If my wife found pantyhose in my minnow bucket I doubt she would believe it was to save the minnows.
How True, How True ... LOL !! ................... <'TK><
Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM
lupan

Default Minnows

I bought probably 30lbs of minnows last year. If I lost 2-3 per pound I was upset.

The keys are the baitkeeper to keep ammonia at bay.
Cool water, I put ice in the bucket.
The cooler the better but do not put too much in and shock them.
I also keep in quiet place. Let's noise and lights, the calmer they are.
Good aerator.
Temp and ammonia management are key.

I have kept them for up to 4 days with little fall out in 5 gallon bucket. As noted below if you have a cooler and put ice in with a aerator you are gold.

Merry fishing.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Maybe it was just the chlorine level in our tap water in michigan, but we had to use distilled water to keep minnows for an extended period of time or they would be belly up in no time.
Are you guys just running tap water when you get low?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

There is an aquatic product called ChlorAM-X that conditions tap water, removing chlorine.
Pricey, but effective. 1 oz treats 235 gallons of water.
I have a 50 gallon bait tank on my boat. I'll put a teaspoon of it in my tank and fill it from my garden hose. Then I either go catch shad or buy shiners and put in the tank.
ChlorAMx IMMEDIATELY kills the chlorine.
For minnows, I'll put in a pinch of it, fill from our hose and put minnows in that bucket
At home every two days, I'll fill another bucket with water, pinch of product, them switch the minnows to that bucket. I've kept the minnows for weeks like that.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Agree with the sentiments here. To keep them over night, I change the water with tap and put some chlorine treatment from the pet aisle in Wal-Mart. A cap full will treat 10 gallons. I also put the minnow bucket in the cooler with ice in the bottom. Loose a few overnight but most are ready to rock the next day. Agree with Sambolie too. Panty hose anywhere near the boat or minnows could be a bad day for a guy LOL. Wife may question that fishy smell on your hands. If you just have to use panty hose, make sure they are at least XXX size and just tell her Skillet was fishing with you

Last edited by jaybird; 03-20-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 AM

I have been trying to stay away from buying minnows. But if wife or daughter go we must do minnows. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all suggestions
Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM

Exclamation

I just drop a $10.00 Whisper pump-filter and add rain water when needed they stay highly active for weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minnows.JPG (316.0 KB, 29 views)