FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-25-2018, 01:35 PM

Default Caney Fork in March?

I have a few days off in mid March. Thinking about taking my two girls fishing. Anyone know if March is a good time of year to go?
Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBMO View Post
I have a few days off in mid March. Thinking about taking my two girls fishing. Anyone know if March is a good time of year to go?
Anytime is a good time to fish the Caney....but it all depends on generation and sluice schedule. We are all at the mercy of the Corp and the weather. We’ve have had a ton of rain and more is expected. No one can really say in 2 weeks whether one can wade...get a boat in or not. I would say that if we don’t get any more rain it could possibly be down close to the 630 level where they may at least turn the sluice off....it is just hard to say.

Regards
Old 02-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default Should be Good. <'TK><

Quote:
RobMo, Stocking should be in progress in March .. Now the down side during this time of year is rains which dictates an overload in Generation times, which could go on for days around the clock ... Be careful ... Always check the Gen Schedules and your distance from the Dam as far as travel time of the rise in water level and current... <'TK>< It looks like Randy and I were replying at the same time <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-25-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the advise guys. What is a favorable level and/or generation schedule you look when you plan your trips?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Thanks for the advise guys. What is a favorable level and/or generation schedule you look when you plan your trips?

If your wanting to catch trout the best time is to go on low flow....meaning no generators. You can fish it when there is 1..2..or 3 generators but you will be throwing cranks if fishing for trout......although a very few fish live trout for big browns and stripers during heavy water flow. You can get in trouble real quick on the Caney in a boat if your fishing heavy water and get distracted. If you fish in the Pond the sluice has to be off or you risk death. You can fish the Pond on 1, 2, or 3 generators as long as sluice is off.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
If your wanting to catch trout the best time is to go on low flow....meaning no generators. You can fish it when there is 1..2..or 3 generators but you will be throwing cranks if fishing for trout......although a very few fish live trout for big browns and stripers during heavy water flow. You can get in trouble real quick on the Caney in a boat if your fishing heavy water and get distracted. If you fish in the Pond the sluice has to be off or you risk death. You can fish the Pond on 1, 2, or 3 generators as long as sluice is off.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Alphahawk, that's good info I hadn't considered.