FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Default 4 acre pond survey recommendations

We completed our pond about 7 years ago. November 2011 we stocked it 3000 bluegill, then the following May 2012 we added 300 F1 bass. There is an appropriate amount of structure and bluegill bedding. Every couple of years about 6 to 10 pounds of flat head minnows are added in the late spring.
It is lightly fished about every week or couple of weeks through the spring and summer each year.
Any recommendations for fisheries management crew to come do a accurate population survey by species and weight?
The pond is in south central Tennessee (Lincoln County).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the pond lower end.JPG (100.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 AM

I would be willing to spend a few days fishing that pond and recording the catch weight and measurements. All at no cost to you.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Contact UT Agg college and see about having the students do a study for you?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:54 AM

Are bass being removed?
Old 11-07-2018, 03:29 PM

Stocking rates sound really low…
What are your catch rates? Lots of small bass or lots of small bluegill? Only a few large fish etc.

Familiar with Dr. Swingle, lots of good info on bluegill and largemouth dynamics.

If you have access to seine, a couple of pulls should give a good baseline to make some decisions.

I know SOLitude is in Nashville, Trophy Pond in Columbia, Southeastern Pond in Jackson and there is a guy in GA that works the Chattanooga area (not sure how far west he goes). Dr. S. Brad Cook may know of some undergraduates at TTU that would be willing to help you out too.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Small Waters Pond Management
Dave Mcgavock-owner 615-977-0752
Dave is located near Lewisburg. I have not used his services, but pass him on the road all the time. He's been here several years.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 AM

The pull the seine comment is spot on. In July/August check to see if you have good quantities of both bass and bluegill fry. That will tell you a lot. If your bass are not spawning it is not a good sign. You didn't mention anything about fertilizing and if there is running water through it (which sort of defeats fertilization). Get a disc and check visibility to ensure your fertilization rate is right. Rule of thumb is only to remove 25 lbs of bass per acre per year if properly fertilized, and 15 if not. It is hard, but try not to put back bluegills you catch. I would tend to only sparingly remove bass, as crowded bass leads typically to outstanding bluegill fishing, which can be a pure blast when managed right. This is what was done when I was current, there are other ideas now that can be debated. But know that your enemy is crowded bluegill that are so heavily populated that bass cannot spawn, and then you basically will have to start over.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:02 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
I would be willing to spend a few days fishing that pond and recording the catch weight and measurements. All at no cost to you.
And at the end of the week you'll have 3 bluegills, one 8" bass and, possibly, a catfish.
Great survey SAMBOLIE.
I could send Sophia down there with her Barbie pole and a hook made from a safety pin and she would have a better survey than that!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
And at the end of the week you'll have 3 bluegills, one 8" bass and, possibly, a catfish.
Great survey SAMBOLIE.
I could send Sophia down there with her Barbie pole and a hook made from a safety pin and she would have a better survey than that!
Merv, you have been lying about 3" for so long that your wife probably thinks a 3" blue gill is 9" long
Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Merv, you have been lying about 3" for so long that your wife probably thinks a 3" blue gill is 9" long
And somebody I know is tickled to pieces with that "9"" bluegill!