FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Default launch boat at Henry Horton State Park?

Is launching an aluminum bass boat at HHSPD doable? I have a 16' Alumacraft with a 50 on it. Once in the water how far could I go from the ramp at the park? On Google Earth I can see swift water just above the highway bridge at the park, but how far upstream to the first obstruction? I'm talking about low speed running. I know nothing about that stretch of the Duck so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Last time I was there (10 years ago), summer water level is about 12" deep pretty much all the way across the river. I doubt you can launch there.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:12 PM
ALANRAYG2

If you are asking about the ramp in the park. You would have to carry the boat down to the water. It is designed as a canoe access point.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 AM

I would say no unless you have a jet drive.

I have put my 14’ with 50 jet in there a long time ago, but it is mainly a canoe access. Call David at duck canoe, he can tell you for sure.

With prop you could drift down but would have to motor back up. All other ramps are private downstream that I know of.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Iron Bridge ramp in Columbia will give you several miles to run up river. At moderate high water level, the ramp will receive a lot of current (too much to launch safely).
Old 05-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Owner and Administrator

Exclamation Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepomis View Post
Is launching an aluminum bass boat at HHSPD doable? I have a 16' Alumacraft with a 50 on it. Once in the water how far could I go from the ramp at the park? On Google Earth I can see swift water just above the highway bridge at the park, but how far upstream to the first obstruction? I'm talking about low speed running. I know nothing about that stretch of the Duck so any advice would be appreciated.
DON'T !!!! ...... <'TK><
Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 PM

That ramp in the park is a canoe/kayak ramp. You could put your boat (if the rangers allowed it)in there if you carried it down the ramp. As someone else noted that water there is no more than knee deep. You would have to float downstream under the 31A bridge past the campground before you could put the motor down. (The fast water you referenced above the bridge is the old Wilhoite Mill site) Even then you’d have to be careful once you got downstream because there are low spots and bars and riffles.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. I certainly wouldn't be carrying my boat, or even manhandling it any more. Thirty years ago I launched my FD Alumacraft w/25 hp in places like that, but no more such launches.