FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Default When are they going to slow down?

I don't recall the corp of engineers running 30k ft3 of water per second through cordell hull dam for over a month straight ever before this spring.

I'm thinking the fresh-water striper have a legit chance to spawn successfully this year. They say that most years, the stripers spawn but there eggs fall to the bottom of the river when the flow stops and the eggs die before the hatch.

Do ya'll think the striper will successfully spawn this year and that we might have some striper introduced to our waters naturally vs. being stocked?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Archived Info .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTrevecca View Post
I don't recall the corp of engineers running 30k ft3 of water per second through cordell hull dam for over a month straight ever before this spring.

I'm thinking the fresh-water striper have a legit chance to spawn successfully this year. They say that most years, the stripers spawn but there eggs fall to the bottom of the river when the flow stops and the eggs die before the hatch.

Do ya'll think the striper will successfully spawn this year and that we might have some striper introduced to our waters naturally vs. being stocked?
JKT. here is some past Info that may answer some of your questions ...

I had a cabin on the Caney during my Guiding Days as well as work for TVA until 1984 ... In the spring with all the rain it is not uncommon for the Gens to run 24/7 for weeks ... Also in the spring is when TVA shuts down some of their Coal Fired Units for outages as well as the boilers, because of a lesser demand on power. So the Hydro's take up the slack with the abundant water available in the rivers and lakes. <'TK><

Stripers are not found on the Cumberland via natural migration .. They have been stocked here since the early 70's near Cunningham Island ... they have an annual stocking yearly from two Tennessee hatcheries ... These hatcheries also produce our Hybrids ... Hybrids have not been stocked in Old Hickory but some are there that have managed to Lock Through ... (Hybrids are a cross of a Striper and a White Bass) These fish are trapped via the Dams but they do migrate the 100 mile Old Hickory stretch every Spring (to spawn) and Migrate upstream again in the Fall for a false spawn. About 25% of the Stripers never leave the upper end do to the cold water that they like..

Stripers spawn when the water temp hits 60 degrees ... but as per the TWRA only 5% actually make it ... It takes 8 miles of tumbling in a tributary for the fry to develop ...

Now there are many ways to fish for Stripers ... Also what are you targeting ...School fish (usually under 35 pounds or Trophy Rogues these start at around 35 pounds to the 60's in weight ... What size gear are you using ? You can't go to a gun fight with a knife!!

Bait can range from artificial to live ... Most successful striper fishermen use live bait. Gizzard Shad, Skip Jack, and the preferred Striper Candy.. Trout.. in the 12 to 18 inch in length range Striper Fishing is like a fine wine, Whisky or Scotch ... You have to develop a taste for it ... In another words there is a lot of trial and error ... Read everything you can about it ... Then go try it ... Usually about 50% of what you read is BS ... but for a writer they have no limits or bounds when it comes to fact and fiction ... Take what you need from the article and forget about the rest ..

Get to know the fishery you are in ... Make a lot of notes (Diary) when you do catch fish, Water and air temp, Barometric pressure , time of day , wind direction, location ... Is there animal and bird activity on the Bank? Currents , how many Generators are running? My experience is when the weather is not fit for man nor beast ... That is when my best Stripers have been caught... Striper fishing is not always a fair weather game ... Sometimes it can be like the "Deadliest Catch" .... Hope this helps ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-19-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

I would think it highly likely. With a flow like that, the eggs should stay suspended for the 48 hours needed to "hatch".
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Problem is ...<'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
I would think it highly likely. With a flow like that, the eggs should stay suspended for the 48 hours needed to "hatch".
If they were spawning now during this current this would be true. But right now the water temps in Cordell and The Caney (Fed by Dale Hollow and Center Hill respectively) is not conducive for spawning at the present temps of the upper Cumberland and won't be for approx. another month. And usually by then rains would have slowed and the generation is back on schedule, (off and on). My experience is, the spawn will start mid May through early June. This is why the TWRA says 5% during spawning season which isn't usually during the 24/7 Generation season.

So for you trophy hunters who want to catch a big fish before they spawn this is your window. Now, not to say with this screwy weather and temps what this season will do and when it will do it. <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-18-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 PM

The big girls are what I'm after. So far my PB is 42 pounds. Now I want a 50 lber. I suppose the only way to fish for them when the corp is pushing 30k+ ft3 of water is to tie up near the bank and fish stationary perhaps using boards to pull the baits out towards the middle of the river. I've been trying to float with this current using boards and down-lines and it's difficult to say the least.

As always, thank you for the info TK. You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate you always sharing it with us.

I might get out there tomorrow morning and keep trying for that 50 Lber. Somebody has to catch em... why not me!?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Be Patient ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTrevecca View Post
The big girls are what I'm after. So far my PB is 42 pounds. Now I want a 50 lber. I suppose the only way to fish for them when the corp is pushing 30k+ ft3 of water is to tie up near the bank and fish stationary perhaps using boards to pull the baits out towards the middle of the river. I've been trying to float with this current using boards and down-lines and it's difficult to say the least.

As always, thank you for the info TK. You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate you always sharing it with us.

I might get out there tomorrow morning and keep trying for that 50 Lber. Somebody has to catch em... why not me!?
Be Patient ... Two or more Gens running is a real chore.. Almost worth staying Home ... Watch the gen schedules daily ... You want one running..... Go with the flow, Boards and healthy bait... Stay out of the middle ... Fish your structure... Rocks, wing walls, etc. Remember this is Spring you will have a lot of tree and log jams and tree slides ... That a good percentage was not there last year.

To be successful at catching trophy's you need to do your home work and spend a lot of time on the water and not necessarily fishing ... Study maps, your electronics, and search out alternative fishing areas that are known to hold Stripers but may be in back waters and not necessarily in the main flow of the Cumberland .... Keep good notes like mentioned in the post above. But the main thing ... Be safe and wear your PFD especially when throwing a cast net and always have a knife readily available on your person. <'TK><