FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default A few brook trout.

Had a great day on the Caney Fork River Friday. At the end of 6 hours of fishing my buddy Larry and I caught well over 200 brook trout....many at the 13 inch mark. Evidence of a shad kill is going on. Water temps were 44 degrees......which is cold for the Caney. Water output was 8,140 CFS. My rod today was the Tict Ice Cube Rockin’ Drift 6’ 9” Mebaru UL. Reel was a Daiwa Certate 2004CH spooled with SOS 2# test line.....had a 2 foot section of 2# test Phantom fluorocarbon leader. I used the 4mm tungsten Boogie Ball jig head which has a # 10 hook. We used a Bison.....Purple Redemption.......and Millie colored Trout Magnet today. The Millie caught most of the fish. Method of catching was “Twitching”. Many were hitting it on the fall. The Brookies have been eating well....and yes they were “Diggin”! It was another beautiful day. Life is good!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Master Trout Magnet

One more pic.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM

It is a blast up there right now. My son and I may head up there today if the rain breaks.
Do you have a good link on the boogie balls, you sent me one previously but I have misplaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
It is a blast up there right now. My son and I may head up there today if the rain breaks.
Do you have a good link on the boogie balls, you sent me one previously but I have misplaced it.

Here you go. https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/he...ogie-ball-jig/

Regards

Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanks again, I assume those 4mm come with the #10 hook?

I may be overlooking the hook sizing chart on the page.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
Thanks again, I assume those 4mm come with the #10 hook?

I may be overlooking the hook sizing chart on the page.

The last ones I bought had a #10 hook.

Regards

Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Just Wow !

I've never caught a trout in my life. Hope to this spring . Great job.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Leader?

I have a question on why a leader with 2lb line is it less likely to be seen by the trout than the 2lb mono? I've never caught a brook trout sounds like Caney has lots of them;do you catch many rainbow or browns near the dam or just the brookies?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Dakota S

A leader can be fluorocarbon or any line including mono. For example, You may have 4 lb on your reel with 2lb test leader. I do this with a double Albright know to tie the lines together. I do this with 20 lb power pro braid on my spinning gear with a 8lb-12leader.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM

The difference between his running line and leader is that the leader is fluorocarbon, while the running line is nylon.

Fluorocarbon has a light refraction index very close to that of water, so it's slightly less visible underwater. It also tends to have higher breaking strength for its diameter, is more resistant to abrasion, is stiffer, and sinks more readily. It's also quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited by mikey_cot; 02-13-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Thanks ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_cot View Post
The difference between his running line and leader is that the leader is flourocarbon, while the running line is nylon.

Flourocarbon has a light refraction index very close to that of water, so it's slightly less visible underwater. It also tends to have higher breaking strength for its diameter, is more resistant to abrasion, is stiffer, and sinks more readily. It's also quite a bit more expensive.
Yes!! Great Thread... The information in this Thread from each Member is what we are all about... Questions asked ... Questions answered ... This helps the Novice Fisherman as well as Old Timers ()... Thanks .. <'TK><
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickfan70 View Post
I have a question on why a leader with 2lb line is it less likely to be seen by the trout than the 2lb mono? I've never caught a brook trout sounds like Caney has lots of them;do you catch many rainbow or browns near the dam or just the brookies?

I’ve caught a lot of rainbows.....browns and brook out of the Caney. I do not fish it as much as I used to....bad knees and too much fat keep me from wading as years gone by. With trout a fluorocarbon leader is a must. We can fish side by side...use same lure and same 2# test line.......if I have an FC leader and you don’t I will out catch you around 8 to 1. This is really crucial for rainbows. They are sight feeders. Rainbows love the sunshine...browns act in many ways like a largemouth. They love to be around wood....in the shadows. That sunshine will reflect much more light on mono than it does on FC leader. I learned most of my trout fishing from my nephew and Jeff Smith....the owner of Trout Magnet. Brook trout are extremely aggressive....but if I am fishing trout waters I always have a section of FC leader on. I’m heading out to fish the Little Red with our guide...Lowell Myers...and one day with Jeff Smith in about a month....really looking forward to get back out there. The Caney has an ample population of the 3 trout specie mentioned. Some years at certain times of the year the brooks will concentrate in certain areas. This is one of those times. I am hoping to hit it again this Saturday if they do not turn the sluice on. I have plenty of pics of browns and rainbows I have caught but I hate to go through the almost 4000 pics I have on here to find them...but here is a pic of a nice brown my son caught on a Trout Magnet....2# test line...and a section of FC leader. The answer to your question is yes...you can catch as many rainbows...browns close to the dam.

Regards

Old 02-13-2018, 03:36 PM

I used to love fishing native brookies in the Adirondacks. Not very often did I see many over 13" and the average was closer to 10". I have not fished for trout in TN. Almost 15 years now. Are any trout in the Caney native born or are they all stocked fish. I know the Caney as I like to fish for Walleye. I never targeted trout. The only thing my fly rod sees is brim fishing.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM

They stock around 35,000 brook trout in the Caney each year so they are non native. There are some holdovers though and I imagine a few are able to breed in the wild. The state record brook trout was caught out of the Caney last year
Old 02-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterchub View Post
I used to love fishing native brookies in the Adirondacks. Not very often did I see many over 13" and the average was closer to 10". I have not fished for trout in TN. Almost 15 years now. Are any trout in the Caney native born or are they all stocked fish. I know the Caney as I like to fish for Walleye. I never targeted trout. The only thing my fly rod sees is brim fishing.

No native trout in the Caney. There might possibly be a few brook trout that make it through a spawn but that is not likely. The brown trout will go through the motions but the spawn does not work on the Caney. You can go to Happy Hollow in the fall and watch them go through the motion. They will come out of the water straight up like a missile and shake the roe out but it is all for nought...the river conditions are not right for the spawn to work. Make no mistake though...the Caney is full of big trout.

Regards